Proper introduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Cardigan

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hello. I've posted on here before, mainly regarding a few issues I've had with hardware. Thought it was about time to do an introduction.

So I'm 24, live in Melbourne, Australia, and am at uni after a few years working, and a long time smoker, amongst other things. Managed to stop everything else through a mild psychotic episode. That's finally cleared so now my only issue is smoking, hence the vaping.
I've had a bit of trouble with vaping, it seems through hardware. However, I've almost got it set right. I've learnt how to use an rda on my MVP, finally mastered a dual coil (super fun just making it) and am having great fun, if little success, diy-ing.

I've cut down from at least a pack a day to, as of this past week, absolutely no smoking till dark. Mornings are difficult, mainly because I have a hell brutally sensitive throat for some reason when I vape in the morning, but I've gotten through it. Now my next objective is to cut out completely the night time smoking. I feel awfully guilty about it, like I sort of fail myself every night, but I realise that is probably an overreaction. I'm certain that soon I will be able to come on here and not feel shame for dual use.

Anyway, that's me - I felt I should introduce myself due to all my lurking. :) If anyone has any advice at all about my night-smoking issues that would be really appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,
Chris

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
Hi Chris and Welcome to ECF :)

You will reach a point when you are ready to put down those last smokes you are having in the evening. One of the most important things is not feeling like you deprived yourself. Once you feel deprived its like it makes you crazy because all you want is the one thing you *can* have. I was dual user for quite some time, some folks quit smoking day 1 - everyone is different. Until you reach the point where *YOU* are ready to put down those last few ciggies- just count all the ones you didnt have that day. For example, if you went from a pack a day to 2 a day - revel in the 18 victories you didnt smoke. As long as you want to quit - you will get to the day of 20 victories, the amount of time it takes you to get there in days or weeks is not so relevant :)

MR531

Verified Member
Hello. I've posted on here before, mainly regarding a few issues I've had with hardware. Thought it was about time to do an introduction.

So I'm 24, live in Melbourne, Australia, and am at uni after a few years working, and a long time smoker, amongst other things. Managed to stop everything else through a mild psychotic episode. That's finally cleared so now my only issue is smoking, hence the vaping.
I've had a bit of trouble with vaping, it seems through hardware. However, I've almost got it set right. I've learnt how to use an RDA on my MVP, finally mastered a dual coil (super fun just making it) and am having great fun, if little success, diy-ing.

I've cut down from at least a pack a day to, as of this past week, absolutely no smoking till dark. Mornings are difficult, mainly because I have a hell brutally sensitive throat for some reason when I vape in the morning, but I've gotten through it. Now my next objective is to cut out completely the night time smoking. I feel awfully guilty about it, like I sort of fail myself every night, but I realise that is probably an overreaction. I'm certain that soon I will be able to come on here and not feel shame for dual use.

Anyway, that's me - I felt I should introduce myself due to all my lurking. :) If anyone has any advice at all about my night-smoking issues that would be really appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,
Chris

Hey Chris welcome to the forum !

Im from melbourne too and 24 lol haha but now live over in the UK cant wait to go back though! where abouts in melbourne you from? I used to live just south - langwarren, frankston, carrum downs area well i used to live in carrum downs but my family live in the other areas haha.

Yeah don't beat yourself up mate all in good time! i used to dual for a while but now totally smoke free and been that way 9 months now feel so much better for it! I rock my RDA too love to build and i love my sub ohm too :)

Enjoy your stay haha

Cool-breeze

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2013
Upstate sc
As said never feel guilty for a smoke. Guilt isn't useful in quitting at all. If you're feeling reluctant to give up those night time smokes but it's also something you do want to get rid of then here is an idea for you. I'm guessing there's a certain time you start smoking. I'll pretend its 7pm after having dinner for the example. The next time you sit down at 7 for your routine grab your vape instead and set a timer for 15 mins. If after 15 mins of vaping you want a smoke then have one and know it's ok. As that becomes easier set a timer for 30 mins, eventually 45, etc etc. it will take a while but eventually the smoking will get cut out. What helped me was I don't smoke in my home and I got tired of dragging my lazy .... outside in the winter for a smoke. Another idea could be say you have 5 a night, next week 4 a night and so on. Regardless you went from a pack a day to a few a day and that in itself has huge benefits and is something to be proud of.

Lord Cardigan

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2014
Cool-breeze. The timer concept is brilliant. I will definitely try that. Mind you, I don't know if I could use my vape for 15 minutes straight aha, I take big hits, get pretty buzzy. Hell, the other day when I finally succeeded at a proper dripper build, I was floating for hours, tasted so nice, hit so well, couldn't help myself.
Thanks for that brilliant tip!

Margie123

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2014
Mount Vernon Wa.
Welcome. As others have said it's not about the ones you smoke per day but the ones you do not smoke that add up. I was a 50 year pack a day smoker. I've been vaping 2 months now and I am down to one a day. but I always think about the other 19 I don't smoke. You've already taken a step in the right direction. Just keep on going and cigarettes will be a thing of the past. :)

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Welcome to ECF! First, don't feel guilty about smoking. The guilt and the pressure you place on yourself to quit can induce a craving in and of itself! This happened to my husband, who only started vaping because he felt guilty that he was still smoking after I quit with vaping. I never really intended to quit smoking. My mother got me my ego starter kit as my grandmother was dying of lung cancer. I promised her to try vaping, but never promised her, myself, or anyone else that I'd quit smoking. I really do think that that lack of a promise to quit, coupled with the fact that I was one of the lucky few who developed a severe distaste for smoking the longer I vaped was what made quitting smoking a success. My husband wasn't so lucky in the taste department. While I never pressured him to quit, he pressured himself and not only did it take him longer, to this day he doesn't really enjoy vaping.

Lord Cardigan

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2014
Well, thought I would do an update. Been about 5 days since I further upgraded my setup and my lord did that change things. Also happens to be 5 days since I've had a single smoke. Never thought I could do that. Getting into mechs - to anyone considering, I advise doing so - has finally given me the push I need.
Thanks for everyone's protips by the way. :)

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
we kept a pack around for the first week, and both of us had one with coffee for a few days, my fiance' was the "die hard" and HE gave away all the Tobacco stuff to a friend (tube boxes, a couple pounds of organic tobacco, the machine and tray, cases etc) kept his zippo though, you need that to light your torch *lol*

Guilt while in the short run might be an effective motivator it soon will turn into resentment, then there's sneaking and all of that stuff, if my guy wanted a smoke (or me for that matter) then go right on ahead, but yeah like anything you have to WANT to, to change.

and good for y'all!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread