ProTank 3 + iClear 30s = ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MizK

Jul 28, 2013
Columbus, OH
Hey everyone. Not really a question, just sort of a rant, as well as hopefully providing some info for others.

I just recently got a ProTank 3 to use with my new iTaste MVP 2. This tank is amazing, when it works. Kanger came so, so close with this one. It's aesthetically pleasing, the flavor is fantastic, absolutely the best tank I have tried as far as flavor is concerned, and really great vapor production. Sounds awesome, right?? Not quite. The center pin on the coils is not long enough to make a connection with the battery, so it will just stop working on you. A lot. Every time this happens, you have to remove the tank from the battery, unscrew the base, remove the coil from the base, pull out the center pin a little, and then reassemble. Of course, you get your fingers covered in juice for a nice added bonus.

I could deal with it if you only had to do this once. I'd still be ...... off, but I could deal with it. Unfortunately, it's not just once. It is all the time. You'll be vaping along, enjoying your awesome flavor and vapor, and then it just stops. You go through the whole procedure I just explained above, and you'll be good again for maybe an hour or two. Then, you're done again. Repeat ad nauseum. It's pretty much unusable; who wants to go through all that once an hour just to have a working tank? Not me, and I think it's just ridiculous. Do they not test these things before they put them on the market? They were so close to making a really, really great tank, but apparently, someone forgot that the center pin has to be long enough to make contact with the battery or it really doesn't matter how great the tank is. I've seen a whole lot of posts here around the forums with people saying that the ProTank 3 burns out coils really crazy quickly. The coils aren't being burned out; they're still perfectly functional, it's this center pin issue.

After getting fed up with messing with the ProTank 3, I decided to mosey on down to the vape shop and pick up an iClear 30s because I had heard good things about it. What. In. The. Hell?! This thing is just awful. There is no flavor and no throat hit. Honestly, none at all. If it weren't for all the vapor it was producing, I would think that it wasn't working at all. That's the only thing this iClear 30s can do: produce vapor. And, it is very good at that. By far the most vapor I've ever gotten. But, what good is vapor with no flavor and no throat hit?? I put some juice with a very strong flavor in it, tried every voltage and wattage up to the max that the MVP 2 goes (5v or 11w), and I cannot taste anything at all or get even a little bit of a throat hit. Just vapor. I'm just ... baffled by this tank, honestly. Sure, we vapers love producing big vapor clouds, but the flavor and throat hit is the main point of vaping! On top of all that, this tank is hideous and huge. I feel like the existence of this tank is equivalent to Innokin giving a big ol' middle finger to vapers, that's how bad it is. It's almost impressive how crappy this thing is.

So, now I have two brand new tanks, from two different manufacturers, and both are completely useless to me. :grr:

If anyone needs me, I'll just be over here banging my head against this wall and vaping from my old T3S.

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
I'd have to check on that. The center pin on most MVP's friends have can be moved being that its just slid into a rubber grommet but those are v1's not 2's. If the 2.0 has the grommet insulator around the center pin then it can be pulled up. Personally I skipped over the PT3 and opted for the Aerotank and should have mine on weds :). One thing you can try to see if its really the coil is put a mini protank base on it. Its possible that the tank isn't screwing in far enough and the "wiggle" the tank can have is whats pushing up the coil center pin. Also make sure the coil isn't coming loose from the base. With the heat these coils can put out it wouldn't surprise me if the coils come loose a lot.

MizK

Jul 28, 2013
Columbus, OH
Thanks for the tips!! I'm not 100% sure what the deal is with the center pin on the MVP 2, I just know that I haven't been able to get it to budge when I try to pull it up, and it doesn't seem to go down either. It just doesn't move at all, which is probably why it has issues firing with a lot of tanks. I hope the Aerotank works out better for you than this PT3 has for me! I'm thinking pretty seriously about springing for the Aspire Nautilus. I've read lots of glowing reviews on it, and have yet to hear anything negative about it. It's definitely pricey, but I think it would be worth it to just have a nice tank that works well.

CastleRat

Jun 4, 2014
Utica, MI, USA
I examined my iclear 30 and noticed the wicked were pushed flat against the stem. I saw the grooves in the top cap had square cut ends that pressed on the wicks like a guillotine. I rounded these off by using a leather punch ( the kind that looks like a pair of pliers with a wheel on the end with cutters Amazon has a number these for under $10 ) to cut a half circle out of the top of each groove. I also cut a half circle for the bottom wicks.

The results were amazing!:laugh: Way more flavor, more vapor and it now runs 12 watts no problem!:D

I did the same thing to an Iclear 16 and wow! The cherry flavor was overwhelming!

These are now my super 30 and sweet 16. :toast:

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
I am baffled by your I 30s experience. The flavor is a little muted, granted, but to say no taste at all !? I am not sure if you are exaggerating or being literal. If it's the latter i am at a loss to be honest. As far as throat hit, i am even more mystified. I find with some of my juices it is actually too harsh on my throat. I vape 50/50 to 70/30 pg/vg and i didn't use the 70/30's in this tank because of the strong throat hit. I don't use it much any more since i rebuild, but my experience with them was very different than yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread