Protection Atomizer Short / New Coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgalka

Jul 20, 2014
Kingwood, TX
So I have a brand new Aegis Mini with a Kangertech Toptank Mini.

If I screw the tank all the way on, it says "Atomizer Short Protection" or Coil not found. So in order to make it work I have to keep it loose. But when I use it, it moves just a bit and so when I try to fire it I get "New Coil?" and I have to select New or Old.

I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to keep it in place and stop these annoying screens popping up.

Thanks in advanced.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I think there is something wrong in the connection between that particular atomizer and that particular mod. My first suspicion is that the post on the atomizer is unusually long, and the hole in the mod is unusually shallow. If this is the case, one standard fix is to take a fiber washer (because it’s non conductive) and place it over the 510 post before screwing it down. This effectively makes the post shorter. It’s a bit ticklish because if it’s too thick the central pin in the atomizer won’t make contact at all.
A related problem is Most modern mods have a spring loaded central pin in their female 510 connections. There may be a problem with yours.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

If I screw the tank all the way on, it says "Atomizer Short Protection" or Coil not found. So in order to make it work I have to keep it loose. But when I use it, it moves just a bit and so when I try to fire it I get "New Coil?" and I have to select New or Old.

I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to keep it in place and stop these annoying screens popping up.

Thanks in advanced.

You need a thin NON-conductive washer or spacer of some sort to put between the tank and the mod. It can be a piece of plastic, felt, cloth, or thin cardboard with a hole punched for the 510. Possible sources could be the side of a milk carton or jug, the top of a Coke bottle lid, etc. You could also purchase thin plastic washers at a home improvement store.

cgalka

Jul 20, 2014
Kingwood, TX
Okay, that makes sense. I'll have to look around and find some stuff to try out.

Oh, just to add; If I screw it all the way down... and I kind of tilt the tank, it will move just a tiny bit and then it will work without the message. Edit; it can wobble just a tiny tiny bit. Sorry, I couldn't think of a word for it until now.

Is this all normal stuff or is there a defect or something broken? The mod and tank are only about 3 weeks old. And I don't recall it doing this the first week i had these.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vaperer

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I cut a hole in the middle of a guitar pick lol. Works very well, thanks for the tip! This won't put extra stress on the connectors, though, will it? Because I really had to screw it down fairly hard to get it to recognize the atomizer.
I would find something thinner or not plastic to use. Felt(non sticky) is flexible.

jmho

edit to add

Also make sure to take a cotton swab and clean inside of the mod's 510 pin well, don't have to push just make sure no liquid is there and make sure to clean the threads also. Make sure no liquid is on the end of that atty also. In some mods this makes all the difference. Also how high is the 510 pin sitting in the mod?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Vaperer

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
A guitar pick. That's What I Call Thinking Out of the Box. Hey if it works that's great. I'll keep this post in mind case it ever happens to me.

For a quick fix ok, but I would worry about the plastic melting if you don't pay attention. I really don't know the melting point of a guitar pick but then again, I am always uber careful with my mods. Can't hurt. And yes, kudos for the OP for the idea.

:)

Reactions: Eskie

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    For a quick fix ok, but I would worry about the plastic melting if you don't pay attention. I really don't know the melting point of a guitar pick but then again, I am always uber careful with my mods. Can't hurt. And yes, kudos for the OP for the idea.

:)
    He should be OK with heat.
    I've used water bottle caps, before finding the thin plastic spacers FT and Kidney Puncher sell.
    The STM and TTM (same base) do have longer 510 pins.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    Okay, that makes sense. I'll have to look around and find some stuff to try out.

Oh, just to add; If I screw it all the way down... and I kind of tilt the tank, it will move just a tiny bit and then it will work without the message. Edit; it can wobble just a tiny tiny bit. Sorry, I couldn't think of a word for it until now.

Is this all normal stuff or is there a defect or something broken? The mod and tank are only about 3 weeks old. And I don't recall it doing this the first week i had these.

I had a similar problem with STM and Lemo tanks on a Pico. It doesn't give a message, just doesn't get power. I had given up and just used them on different mods. What caught my eye was when you mentioned tilting the tank. That sometimes worked for me too.

I made a washer and it did the job. First attempt didn't work because it was too thick. Then I used plastic from the lid of a coffee container. It's very thin and really soft plastic so it's easy to cut with scissors.

Reactions: bombastinator

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

Thanks in advanced.

Take a Paper Hole Punch and punch a hole in a Shiny Business Card.
    Then poke the Atomizer Connector thru the hole you made.
    Now Trace the Diameter of the Atomizer Base with a Pencil on the business card.
    Then Trim with a Pair of Scissors.

You now have a DIY Atomizer Shim that should get you Down the Road until your order for these arrive.

KP Mod Guard - 5 Pack

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    Is this all normal stuff or is there a defect or something broken?
    The 510 connector is standardized for the screw size, but the length seems to be up for interpretation. So should this stuff be normal, no. Is this stuff normal, yes(ish).
    It was even more prevalent before sprung loaded 510s became widely used.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread