'Protection' message/error - how to resolve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

splatts

Sep 19, 2018
Hi there, apologies if I am posting in the wrong section of the forum. I was wondering if someone could help.

I have a Boarse 30W battery.

With an Eleaf Melo 4 D22 Atomizer

I use Eleaf EC 0.5 OHM dual coils

Every time I try vape, the word 'protection' appears on the screen and it cuts out, regardless of what wattage I have it at.

After a lot of Googling I'm still none the wiser. Is it something to do with a temperate control setting? I can't seem to find any guides on my battery, so I have no idea how to switch this off.

Or am I using wrong coils?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. This vaping malarky is confusing!

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi there, apologies if I am posting in the wrong section of the forum. I was wondering if someone could help.

I have a Boarse 30W battery.

With an Eleaf Melo 4 D22 Atomizer

I use Eleaf EC 0.5 OHM dual coils

Every time I try vape, the word 'protection' appears on the screen and it cuts out, regardless of what wattage I have it at.

After a lot of Googling I'm still none the wiser. Is it something to do with a temperate control setting? I can't seem to find any guides on my battery, so I have no idea how to switch this off.

Or am I using wrong coils?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. This vaping malarky is confusing!

Hi and welcome,
The STOCK EC coils are NOT Temperature control compatible, use them in wattage or bypass mode.
Where did you get the 30W and the D22?
If you bought it at a vape shop, return there for assistance.

How long did you smoke and how many per day?
Where are you located?

Sorry to hear of your frustration.

I

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
It looks very like a rebadged Eleaf iStick 30W, if the pictures are anything to go by. If so, that device should support coils down to 0.4 ohms.

A DHGate page for the Boarse 30W mentions that it's "Suitable for atomizer: more than 0.5" - perhaps the coil you're using is fractionally too low (in resistance)?

I don't think the Boarse does TC, but I may be mistaken.

If the mod really is just an iStick, you might have better luck with a higher resistance coil.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Hi and welcome,
The STOCK EC coils are NOT Temperature control compatible, use them in wattage or bypass mode.
This device looks to be a rebranded iStick 30W. It does not have TC, just wattage control.

A "protection" error message is rather odd. I assume it means the chip's protection circuitry has been triggered, but most chips are more specific to explain what the error is. Ie "ohms too low", "ohms too high", "high temp", "atomizer short", "low battery", etc.

I agree with @My Batt Hurts , it probably would be a good idea to look for a compatible coil replacement with 1.0 or higher ohms.

Last edited:

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
According to the istick 30W manual there's no "protection" message. Maybe they tinkered with the firmware (at least to remove any eleaf branding).
My guess is that it's the low battery protection, after it kicks in the device will be in a locked state and only unlock after the device is charged to over 3.7V. Try charging it to full and see if the message is gone.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I had the Eleaf version of this, long ago. I actually got it during a sale for like $10 for my brother, to try to get him off smokes.

They used to be really finicky at the 510 (one I bought for him was). If the atomizer is screwed down too tight, it causes problems. Also if that coil is below .5 (by the mods reading), it won't fire. It also goes into heat protection pretty fast too, especially if the atomizer holds heat.

Honestly from the one I got him (which he gave back, he hated it), 0.5 ohms is too low. It has to run pretty much at max to fire that resistance well. I'd not go below 0.8 or 0.9, in fact it would work best at around 1 ohm or higher. That's also due to battery life and heat, higher ohms are just easier on that mod, it doesn't like to work too hard, lol.

If I were you, I'd look into a MTL tank, like the Nautilus for that mod (or another device, depending on vape style). Personally I think that's what it was designed for MTL, shorter puffs and higher ohms.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm not sure either but it certainly could be a coil that is too low resistance for the mod. That's the only thing I could think would cause that error, but the fact that it is a rebranded something or other could mean anything. This is a time where sure, you could try to see if a higher resistance coil still triggers the message but I would be inclined to return it and get something else, and something not rebranded, that just tends to often cause issues and etc.

Welcome hope you get it sorted out.

Anna

Reactions: papergoblin

splatts

Sep 19, 2018
Many thanks for all the replies. I bought it from Amazon. Looks like it's some chinese supplier so probably isn't the best quality. I don't think it came with a manual, but if it did it's back home in the UK (I'm currently living in New Zealand).

I also bought the coils from Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0125YQ6WE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's fully charged, I charge it every day. It only works a bit at 11 watts. Any higher and the protection error constantly pops up.

I think I'll buy some higher ohm coils to see if that helps.

Cheers

• Optimistic

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Many thanks for all the replies. I bought it from Amazon. Looks like it's some chinese supplier so probably isn't the best quality. I don't think it came with a manual, but if it did it's back home in the UK (I'm currently living in New Zealand).

I also bought the coils from Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0125YQ6WE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's fully charged, I charge it every day. It only works a bit at 11 watts. Any higher and the protection error constantly pops up.

I think I'll buy some higher ohm coils to see if that helps.

Cheers

I think that mod has a reset button, small hole that you use a pin or toothpick to press. I'd try resetting the mod and see what happens.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you bought it from Amazon (are you in Europe somewhere, thought it was prohibited in the US) there's no way to know how long it was sitting, could have been years.

I guess you could try some different coils, but as a general rule (with a few exceptions) Amazon and/or ebay are not always where you want to buy your vaping gear for Best Success (apart from a few specialty stores).

I know because I did it. Like many a new vaper I did it. The results were unpleasant.

Maybe you want to check out some of the EU vendors here, like vaping.com is a big one (and sponsors the site) I think they are EU based, to the best of my knowledge.

If you don't get your setup working, well it's a thought anyway.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread