Proto Types and Design Ideas - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
i must have made a bad joke too , i was just kidding about not talking about it.

im talking about using magnet wire coils , as inductors. i have done it a little before , i just dont remember how to set up the pulse width and whatnot. that was 3 or 4 lifetimes ago...

its basically an open transformer. no need for plugs. at all. slide the end where the coil is , into the slot , and it just charges. sort of like the new phone pad charger station thingies, only its been around forever...im suprised we dont see it more.

it might be hella inefficient , but i found some small 30mah lipos , probably for a camera or micro rc car , but im thinking basically , i would have a charger that would be built into the base of a 12v car plug , so its flush , the coil would be inside there.

the battery would be on the end of a m401 or other exposed bridge type atty , which i was thinking of just using a mini jst connector for , and basically your ecig would be twice as long as an atomizer.

this is all dependant on how small the coil can get , for one , and for two , how easily i could replicate an auto battery.

i just get tired of a big heavy thing.

and when plugged into the car cig lighter , was thinking of having a small plexi ring around the edge light up to let you know charge status , but i was envisioning the coil down at the bottom of the plug and the electronics around the tube , and basically the whole battery would fit in the cig lighter while its charging.

you could pull your cap and drip while charging , or use a drip tip and just let it hang in your mouth.

judging by everything i have calc'd , the average draw only uses 5mah worth of power (if mah ratings are anything to go by.. ) . so a 20 or 30 mah battery on a 2ohm should last a little longer than 4 or 6 puffs , but for the 1 minute (literally) that the recharge is , its worth it to me , to let it cool off and wick and whatnot...

of course there would be a rush for cheap camera or tiny rc cars , and the price would skyrocket , so just ignore everyting up there ^^^

-hov

Ok hov, I see where you are going.
Yea, 2 coils can transfer voltage by induction. AC will flow constant, DC will "jump" when the field collapses. You can set it for a pulse width of say a 50% duty cycle(off & on). A 555 chip can run that with a few support parts.
Seems it would be just as easy to use a 12v input lipo charger in the lighter plug shell and have the PV or what ever just slide in with strips on the end to charge. Rat Shack has the lighter plugs that split open.
The 30ma is pretty small and it may be limited on its discharge capacity. Some I have are rated at 10 & 20C. So at 20C discharge 600ma is abt all it has to give and a 3.2 ohm at 3.7v is asking for abt 1A. Still....it could work or may overheat the battery...not god if it swells and pops. A lot of the small rc stuff from Wally World have 100ma (10C gives you 1A) batteries and the "base charger" is made for 6 AA or C batteries(9v). The 100ma's are abt 1" sq and 1/4" thick. So, the charger is running on 9v but I've used them with a 12v 500ma input from a wall pack. The charging circuit is small and has the LEDs in them with the proper cutoff of 4.15v. All you need is to do a little reconfiguration to fit and touch contacts. Have a notch for no accidental reversal or have the middle as + and anything on the shell as -.
That would work well. Many of those toys can be had for $19.95. You probably have the lighter plug around being in the automotive field. If you had 3 of the 30ma's you could parallel them for 90ma and 900ma, assuming a 10C discharge.

hova

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2010
The YO
Youre pretty close to what i was thinking . down to the pwm.

basically , i have a small rc car that has a circular 30 or 40mah (oim guessing) battery , not like the 50 or 100mah that the little helicopters have thats squareish....

i was thinking of basically taking the induction stuff from a toothbrush and making that into the charging base , as those are sealed from moisture and still charge , most of them have pretty thick casing around the coil , ive only taken one or two apart. they are now around 20$ a pop , but i remember making coils in automotive , also testing primary and secondary coil packs , but its kind of a blur as to how many turns and how much duty and what not , as how to get the voltage and amps you want out of it...

but basically id like a battery that fits into an atty tube. the more i think about it , the more i lean towards the idea of just having a plug or contact strips. i was thinking that i could recess them , using small diameter wire , and have it like an rca jack almost.

then i thought , what about using magnets. if you had a magnet for the outer ring , and a tiny magnet for the inner , you wouldnt need any screw type connections. granted this would only work for metallic magnets , im pretty sure earth magnets dont actually conduct...this was just a thought.

the reason i wanted everything to slide into the cig lighter , is that on my wrecked golf , the lighter outlet up front was right in front of the shifter. it was a manual , so if i wanted to charge batteries on the go or use a pass through , i had to use a usb adapter , then plug into that either a pt , which woked ok but still got bumped , or plug a usb charger in , then the ecig batt , and that didnt work at all... it was almost 9 inches from cig lighter to battery tip....not to mention bumps and whatnot.

this is all really sort of a way to limit my consumption. when i had 808d1 batteries , i basically vaped constantly. in the car , in the store , at home . constant. then when i made my modbox it was almost as bad , because i knew i didnt have to worry about batteries , but i still used it a lot. not very much time between vapes...

this way i was thinking you could charge it for 60 seconds , and use it for 10 puffs , and be done.

i really want to get one of these smaller lipos working , cause a 45 second charge time for a couple mah , beats a 9 hour charge for 380mah...

im rambling , probably due to the medicine , but ill whip up a picture real quick...

also : you know of any auto batteries that use a piezo wafer as a switch ?
-hov

jrm850

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
Southeastern US
The inductive charger is an interesting idea. I'm kind of suprised that I haven't seen anyone mod one of the little electric toothbrushes with the built in charger.

I had the grand idea of making the ultimate stealth PV from a 130mah 20c LiPo I found at one the hobby stores and a Mercedes Key dongle case. The battery would fit fine and you could even use the existing board for it's switches. The key detaches easily from the key chain as well with a simple sliding latch. The diameter of the existing cartomizers would be a slight issue, but I think I could make it all fit flush inside the existing compartment... That is if I had more time. :)

308902d1274234905t-2010-mercedes-keys-compatible-mercedes-keys.jpg

billy02

Aug 9, 2011
Tucson
Ktomizer 15.jpg I've been reading the posts on making coils, picking up as much info as I could. Then I hit this, "Prototypes and Design Ideas" & I think this is where I should be. I'm working on designing an atomizer for a 510T that is repairable without too much fuss. In the process I've had to ask myself if perhaps the factory atomizers are a bit more complicated than they really need to be. I decided to try brass for conductive material & acrylic for the insulator. I used the softened eye ends of sewing needles to mount the coil on & silica rope for wicking. I just attempted to add a picture of an atomizer made this way. I'll pause now to see how that comes out. -------- Not too bad. The mount & penetrating needle are made with a piece of a 10 gauge needle & a cutting from a coffee can lid. It does work but not terribly well. I don't think the coil is getting hot enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread