Status
Not open for further replies.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
Well folks, The Vari Volt Saber Touch is coming!!! Before I proceed, I have to state that I had to ask Sir Lawrence (Vapor Moon) for his permission to make a post of my first impressions. While I did pay for this device, it was with an understanding that it would be a prototype (pre-release and NOT final version) and I agreed to not post until Sir Lawrence was ready to announce the device. He now HAS announced the device in his thread but the device may or may not be in its most final production ready version. I received mine today and I know there are a couple other prototypes that also just mailed out this week. So, Sir Lawrence needs some time to get feedback from these people (me included) before deciding if he wants to make any more final changes or is happy with this build.

Please also know, I have only had this device in my hands a few hours and will have to come back and update this thread in a week or two after putting the device thru its paces.

Let me start by saying that I have the original Saber Touch in both 3.7/6V and regulated 5V versions. Sir Lawrence has been busy making improvements. He now offers "turned" and polished end-caps which are smoother, sleeker and make the device more elegant and a bit more pocket friendly. He has also improved the Touch Sensor to make it more sensitive. Some of us may live in dryer climates or just have dry skin. This more sensitive Touch Sensor is tweaked to make connection more easily while still preventing any unintentional activation in pocket, purse, briefcase, etc. Of course, CUSTOM COLORS are still available as well. Finally, we now have Variable Volt! I am using 2 of the AW 3.7 volt protected 16340 batts (750 mAh Lithium) and I do not yet know the full range of available voltage adjustment(s). I have been moderately vaping with it, starting at 5.2 volts, for about 4 hours and it now meters at 5.15 volts. So I have experienced only .05 volt drop after 4 hours of vaping.

While I have done some preliminary research into VariVolt, electrical connectivity is NOT my forte. I posted some of my speculations and hopes for Variable Volt adjustability in another thread (portions copied below) and, based on my first couple hours of use with THIS device, I am beginning to think those speculations were very close to what I will ENJOY with VariVolt.

Sir Lawrence has done a nice job of integrating the adjustment control into the device. It is counter-sunk in a hole near the top of the device. The hole is designed to exactly match the vent holes near the bottom so the appearance is seamless. Sir Lawrence includes a nice little double-headed key-chain screw driver to make the adjustment. He has ALSO made another nice little add-on: a threaded connection for attaching a multi-meter. This is a neat little 510 adapter which he has attached black and red meter leads with alligator clips for easy attachment to the positive and negative leads on a multimeter - for easy voltage readings and/or monitoring adjustments. I believe S.L. will be selling an inexpensive multimeter as an option but these parts (adjustment screwdriver and meter adapter connection) are probably included with the device.

So, Saber Touch is growing and maturing and the device not only functions better - it LOOKS better too. Here are some pics and I will continue my comments after the photos.
CIMG1850.jpg

CIMG1851.jpg

CIMG1852.jpg

CIMG1853.jpg

CIMG1854.jpg

So, when I called Sir Lawrence to ask if I could post my first impressions, I asked a few questions. What I learned is that THIS device is completely sealed. This means that even the voltage adjustment is completely sealed and there is (according to S.L.) no way for ANY juice to leak into the device. I found this comforting as I have seen other VV devices that do not have completely sealed electrical components. while I learned a few other points, I want to work with the device before getting into anything else.

So, below is a piece from my post speculating and outlining my hopes for VariVolt based on my prior research, experience with my other mods and attys and what I am hoping to experience and enjoy with options available with Variable Voltage feature:
As a fairly accomplished researcher, vaping HAS become a hobby for me as well as gotten me off analogs. Obviously, I am thrilled about being off the analogs but now I delve into the nuances of vaping. I have a bunch of different mods at different voltages. I have tried most of the more available attys and in most of the various ohms variations. I have quite a collection of devices, attys and juices.

Two things I have learned (amongst others) is that voltages are not consistent and the various models of attys, even if the same ohms, each have their own "personalities" - if you will. Further, 8 watts on LR is NOT the same to me as 8 watts HV.

One easy example is my preferred 302 atty. I absolutely LUV this atty on 5V. BUT, 5V is not always 5V. I have 4 different 5V devices and no two hit the same. Of these, 2 use regulators: 5V Journeyman and 5V Saber Touch. The GLV2 uses resistor to get 5V and the Puresmoker v2 5V PT is hardwired. The 302 atty performs differently on each of these devices. Some are perfect while others are off a bit - enough to notice it is not THAT sweet spot that I enjoy on others. Some are just a bit too cool and others get just a bit too hot; so, I am guessing that .2 or .3 watts can actually make a significant difference in atty performance. While I suspect amps are contributing, I cannot manipulate them so I am hoping to make small adjustments to find the maximum enjoyment for the "personality" of the 302 and other attys.

Additionally, I have found that a 3.3 ohm 901 atty does not have the same "personality" as a 3.3 ohm BE510 atty or as an 801 or BE112 and I hope to tweak the performance of each with VV.

Having a large collection of attys, and knowing my preferred watts level is 8-ish watts, how do I get to 8-ish watts with a 2.5 ohm atty? If I can dial in about 4.4/4.5 volts I should get that 8-ish watts from a 2.5 ohms 510. Not all attys are exact in their ohms ratings either as they can vary up to +/- .3 ohms. I have some that meter at 3.1 ohms, 3.2 ohms, 3.3. LRs can vary from 1.5 to 1.9 or 2.0 ohms.

I realize many use the VV to find their own personal "sweet spot" and tend to just leave it there but the feature does provide opportunity for additional experimentation. So, while I may find this is all for naught, I am hoping to find "nuances" with VV that I might not otherwise enjoy.

All I can say is that after a couple hours with this feature, I think my hopes and speculations may well be fulfilled. I was able to dial in the perfect sweet spot for my preferred 302 atty. For now, I am leaving it set at 5.2 volts to see how it does over the charge cycle of the batts (watching for drop-off, etc.). In time, I will try other slight voltage variations and voltage variations with different style attys.

I do not know enough about the functionality but I suspect a variable volt potentiometer involves moving parts (probably true for ANY VV feature) that are subject to wear over time and with use (meaning the more the adjustment gets turned/changed the more wear on this moving part). I suspect these "dials" (read adjustment wheel, screw, etc.) probably have some lifespan. Sir Lawrence has been choosing quality components for his mods so I hope this one (and only) moving part has a long lifespan - cuz the little bugger is SEALED into the device! :laugh:

So, that's pretty much it for now. My first impression is a big fat smile on my face! Check back for updates and watch the Vapor Moon Sub-forum for official announcement of the final release of the VARIABLE VOLT SABER TOUCH! Vapor Moon

Vapor Moon web site link: Flash Intro Page

Last edited:

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
I have not yet received any new information. Last was that Sir Lawrence is comparing one or two more parts. I imagine I will hear when the final version is ready but in the meantime, you might contact Vapor Moon in their sub-forum or thru their web site to get a more accurate update.

FWIW, my prototype is working pretty well - not perfect but not bad. Knowing how Sir Lawrence does things, I am sure he is looking to make better. I imagine he is looking for belts and suspenders that match and maybe boots to go with the galoshes.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
Ok, well it has been a bit longer than I had originally anticipated to get back with this follow-up. This is partly due to wanting to wait for the final version to be in my hands and partly due to my last minute travel. Now I am back, have the final version VariVolt Saber Touch device and am ready to share my take on it.

So, the prototype turned out to be everything I had hoped for and posted in the original "First Impressions" OP of this thread. No need to repeat it all, details are all in the OP. There is not much that needs saying or adding at this point. This is a fantastic VARIVOLT mod. Set your preferred voltage setting and it just holds it until the batts can no longer provide enough power to keep it. It will be right where you set it when you put in charged batts. The drop off is not a setting change, it just drops because the batteries are running out.

How long will you get before needing fresh batts? Well, the depends on which batts you are using. I have mostly the AW 750 mah 16340 (black w/silver label) 3.7 volt batts. With these I get about 4 to 5 hours (depending on how much I vape) before needing fresh batts. Sir_Lawrence recommends higher mAh and I just don't have any yet to test. People use many different batteries, I have been sort of stuck on AW brand. I have a set of the IMR 16340 which are only 550 mah. They last me about 2 hours but seem to provide a stronger hit. I am still learning about amps draw but it seems, at least to my limited testing, that the IMRs gives a better vape. Of course, using the lower mah IMRs means swapping them out much more often.

As a blind tester (and there were several other testers too), I don't get all the gory details. I do not know if/what internal changes were made along the way. But, any mod builder is likely to tweak anything that he can improve between concept and final version. All I can say is this final one is certainly as good and may be even better than the prototype. I liked my brushed stainless but like this final even MORE!

Ok, lets get to the pics. First, the mod itself - as usual, with my preferred 302 atty attached :p
CIMG1857.jpg

CIMG1858.jpg

With the included adapter wire for connecting to a multi-meter:

CIMG1859.jpg

One other little thing I noticed the first day I got the prototype but failed to mention, and it appeared in a post on the main thread today: the little mini keychain screwdriver is double ended. As seen here, the flat head is shown with the cap off.
CIMG1854.jpg

However, the other end (attached to chain) is also a cap and inside is a tiny phillips head. You can reverse it so the flathead is in the chain-end-cap and this way remove the screwdriver ready for use while leaving the rest connected to your keychain (probably just easier this way so you don't have your keys banging around as you turn the adjustment).

So that is pretty much it folks. This is a FANTASTIC option for the Saber Touch and Vapor Moon to offer and it is now is its final rendition and available for purchase. I absolutely love having VARIABLE VOLTAGE. It lets us tune in our own personal sweet spot for any juice and to find the perfect vaping point on any atty. As attys can vary up to +/- .3 ohms on any given version, Varivolt lets you find YOUR exact "Happy Place". The VariVolt feature lets you use absolutely ANY atty from LR to HV (1.5 ohms all the way up to 5.4 ohms) and with adapters you can use any atty model (306, 510, 901, 801 series including 302 and BE112, all cartos, etc., etc., etc.). Now we can have the famous Touch Sensor AND the option to turn the volts up/down to our liking!! :banana:

Finally, just to let you in on a little secret, Vapor Moon will soon be coming out with a new accessory for sale. They will be offering a separate meter wire adapter that will include another in-line connector/adapter so we can test out mods and attys UNDER-LOAD!!! Here is a sneak peak at the prototype of this new connector (I do know this is not the final design but it works great and super easy too):

CIMG1862.jpg

Ok, that's it for this one from me. Check out the Vapor Moon site and see the various options for the VARIVOLT version. For a more detailed description, refer back to the first post in this thread.

Happy :vapor:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread