protovapor xpv

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
Rhode Island
Well, I have two in the mail. The price was reasonable compared to other dna 20 devices out there.....and I saved some money buying both sizes as a pair. I think performance wise, it will be the same as any other device of the same chip. Build quality I will let you know when I get them. The parts they spec on the site seem to be of decent quality...but I don't have them in hand yet.

I will post a review after using them for a couple weeks.

Frazz

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
Well, I have two in the mail. The price was reasonable compared to other DNA 20 devices out there.....and I saved some money buying both sizes as a pair. I think performance wise, it will be the same as any other device of the same chip. Build quality I will let you know when I get them. The parts they spec on the site seem to be of decent quality...but I don't have them in hand yet.

Frazz

I will be looking in on your review. Looks like a great mod but what worries me is the thing is anodized aluminum. As I understand it anodizing wrecks conductivity. I am wondering if they did a workaround with wire or did not use the case as part of the circuit.

Last edited:

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I will be looking in on your review. Looks like a great mod but what worries me is the thing is anodized aluminum. As I understand it anodizing wrecks conductivity. I am wondering if they did a workaround with wire or did not use the case as part of the circuit.
A pre-finish machined, rectangular, extruded tube can be anodized on the exterior while leaving the interior untouched. It can be done with dedicated sealing system racking, it can be done with plugs, wax and even, simply, just tape... so it could be either of the two conductivity schemes you've posed as possibilities.

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
A pre-finish machined, rectangular, extruded tube can be anodized on the exterior while leaving the interior untouched. It can be done with dedicated sealing system racking, it can be done with plugs, wax and even, simply, just tape... so it could be either of the two conductivity schemes you've posed as possibilities.

True

I imagine they could just machine off the anodizing where the connections are. That's the thing... did they work around the issue?

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
True

I imagine they could just machine off the anodizing where the connections are. That's the thing... did they work around the issue?
I guess we'll have an answer (perhaps) when Mr. frazz puts up a review... if it's possible for him to go into the device that is.

I suppose one could e-mail or call, and just ask. ;-)

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
Well, I have two in the mail. The price was reasonable compared to other DNA 20 devices out there.....and I saved some money buying both sizes as a pair. I think performance wise, it will be the same as any other device of the same chip. Build quality I will let you know when I get them. The parts they spec on the site seem to be of decent quality...but I don't have them in hand yet.

Frazz

So, did your new toys come in yet?

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA
Well decided what the heck and ordered one today. E-mailed him about where they are made (does not say on site). They are assembled in the US out of US sourced parts. Hawaii actually. Not that it matters much but he offers buttons in dark grey, light grey, red and black. Smooth operation and clicky. I have been several days hunting on the internet about them and have not found much but what I have found folks seem to like them.

Went ahead and got one because what other offerings I have found for a DNA 20 have months long waiting lists. Was interested in the Futura but if you have been following the thread on them the rollout of that one is slowly deteriorating into a fiasco. Noticed a thread tonight the the Chinese are bringing out their version of a DNA 20. That was bound to happen.

frazz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
Rhode Island
Well, was going to wait a week or so to post a review....would like to use it as a primary device before making any comments... But my first impressions are not bad at all. I have a couple picky things, but I am a very .... about certain things. I used the mini all day at work and it did its job without any issues. The button is easy to find and fires every time. The jog wheel works well, and the ego connector is nice and straight....unlike the 510 on the first lavatubes that was slanted.

The case looks to me to be similar if not the same as the genie cube. Both the full size and mini feel lighter than my provari and provari mini.

Picky things: you cannot just pop another battery in when the life on the internal one is gone. The manual says the battery has some push pin connectors attached to it, so you will need to get it from protovapor. I bought a gray one, the bezel on the jog wheel color is slightly different than the bezel on the switch above it. I am pretty .... and probably the only one that would notice that.

The paint seems nice.....again, had it one day.....and the device feels good in my hand. If I was buying this again (and I would), I would probably do black in hopes the bezel was a better match.

Am I sorry I bought this? Not at all....time will tell, but for me it is a winner......sub 200 dollar dna20 device. Oh.....I had another dna 20 device, bought one for my wife and the other for me.....both USB connectors were crooked and I found others with the same issue. On the XPV, they are both straight and easy to get the cable into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread