Provari batt life with different ohm/voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegioX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
New York
Hi, I had a question regarding battery life.

What will drain a Provari faster, a low ohm atty with a low voltage, or a high ohm atty with a high voltage?

Is the vapor, TH, flavor, basically the same, with the difference in ohm being made up for in difference of voltage?

I ask because the 306 attys I like come in 4 and 2 ohm, and I have been trying 1 of each to see which I would like to stock up on, and am not sure if I can tell a difference in vaping, but I feel like the higher voltage is killing the battery faster...which I would except...except that I figured the higher ohm might actually required less power to fire.

Any definite answer for this?

Thanks

JoeChemo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, USA
Good old Ohm's Law tells us:

Watts = Volts2 / Resistance

Your 2 ohm atty at 6 volts consumes 18 watts
Your 4 ohm atty at 6 volts consumes 9 watts
Your 2 ohm atty at 3.7 volts consumes 6.845 watts
Your 4 ohm atty at 3.7 volts consumes 3.4225 watts

As you increase power (watts), your battery will drain more quickly, you will consume more e-juice, and the temperature of the atty and vapor will increase.

Hope this helps! :vapor:

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
Here's my thoughts on this based on 32 years as an electrician, albeit I don't have a definitive answer sans running a test or two. I'll 'splain...

Watts equates to power used, regardless of how one arrives at the wattage. If one dials up the voltage and chooses a high ohm atty to a sweet spot of, say, 10 watts that is not any different than the 10 watts he/she arrives at if using less voltage and a low ohm atty. Watts is watts.

BUT...

The Provari starts out with a 3.7 volt battery source and utilizes a booster circuit and regulator to ramp up the voltage. So, the Provari circuitry (booster board) has internal resistance and uses more power (watts) than just the atty to deliver the additional voltage -- as opposed to dialing in 3.7 volts and using an LR atty. I think. LOL

The only way to achieve a *definitive* answer to this is to use an ammeter (in series) with the load and measure the amperage used in BOTH cases. The individual amperage readings would reflect the entire load of the circuit, not just the atomizer.

Or, one *could* run the battery down until the device calls for a battery re-charge, record the time it took and then switch to the *other* atty/voltage set-up and lather, rinse, repeat. It would probably be wise to make sure that if more than one battery is used that the second is equal to the first battery in terms of newness or the whole test is a fraud. =)

AND... if one was to vape more (or more frequent drags even) during the one test than the other, this test doesn't stand a snowball's chance in Hell of being remotely accurate. LOL But, you would get an *idea* of which set-up is drawing more current given similar vaping patterns.

So, you have a real test with the ammeter and a practical test which isn't scientific but could be fun. Isn't it ironic that when I smoked I usually did so to take a mental break? Now I need Ohm's Law to take a break from work? You KNOW which test I would run, right? =)

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Or, one *could* run the battery down until the device calls for a battery re-charge, record the time it took and then switch to the *other* atty/voltage set-up and lather, rinse, repeat. It would probably be wise to make sure that if more than one battery is used that the second is equal to the first battery in terms of newness or the whole test is a fraud. =)

I was so interested in this topic initially that I had every intention of running this unscientific test, I just haven't gotten around to doing it... Now I'm getting inspired again :)

To get reliable results, I would run one 2.1ohm atty at 4.7V (10.52W) for six battery cycles (using a total of three batteries twice each) and record the total amount of juice used during that period of time. Then, I would repeat the same thing using a 3.4ohm atty at 6V (10.59V) to see if there is a difference in the juice consumption. Whichever configuration would enable a greater amount of juice to be used would be the one where batteries last the longest.

Results would probably not be 100% accurate but they would give us a pretty good idea if there is a major difference in the battery life as long as the test is ran with both setups providing the same wattage.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
Results would probably not be 100% accurate but they would give us a pretty good idea if there is a major difference in the battery life as long as the test is ran with both setups providing the same wattage.

Recording the juice consumption is a clever way of keeping the results as accurate as possible. Kudos.

I love theory as much as the next guy, really I do. But this has the makings of a fun test with some built-in caveats that would provide controversy in the analysis and conversational aftermath. So, when do YOU start? =)

LegioX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
New York
Here's my thoughts on this based on 32 years as an electrician, albeit I don't have a definitive answer sans running a test or two. I'll 'splain...

Watts equates to power used, regardless of how one arrives at the wattage. If one dials up the voltage and chooses a high ohm atty to a sweet spot of, say, 10 watts that is not any different than the 10 watts he/she arrives at if using less voltage and a low ohm atty. Watts is watts.

BUT...

The Provari starts out with a 3.7 volt battery source and utilizes a booster circuit and regulator to ramp up the voltage. So, the Provari circuitry (booster board) has internal resistance and uses more power (watts) than just the atty to deliver the additional voltage -- as opposed to dialing in 3.7 volts and using an LR atty. I think. LOL

The only way to achieve a *definitive* answer to this is to use an ammeter (in series) with the load and measure the amperage used in BOTH cases. The individual amperage readings would reflect the entire load of the circuit, not just the atomizer.

AND... if one was to vape more (or more frequent drags even) during the one test than the other, this test doesn't stand a snowball's chance in Hell of being remotely accurate. LOL But, you would get an *idea* of which set-up is drawing more current given similar vaping patterns.

So, you have a real test with the ammeter and a practical test which isn't scientific but could be fun. Isn't it ironic that when I smoked I usually did so to take a mental break? Now I need Ohm's Law to take a break from work? You KNOW which test I would run, right? =)

I like your theory and it makes sense to me. Same wattage may still be less power at lower voltages due to the Provari's booster circuit ? Now that you mention that it seems like the logical explanation...I'm going to go with this until I can conduct a test and get the proper set up prepared.

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Recording the juice consumption is a clever way of keeping the results as accurate as possible. Kudos.

I love theory as much as the next guy, really I do. But this has the makings of a fun test with some built-in caveats that would provide controversy in the analysis and conversational aftermath. So, when do YOU start? =)

Hmm, controversy... Promise? :)

I'll start Monday morning. The test will last from 4 to 6 days and I will report my findings as soon as it's completed. Til then, ......

progg

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
I posted a similar question a while back. It seems that nobody has the answer for this question. Here's where you can read up on it:

Starting with post #3328 http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provape/131028-provari-variable-voltage-mod-333.html

This link brings you closer to post #3328 that Vaporologist references : http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provape/131028-provari-variable-voltage-mod-111.html

[^ although, my setting is at 30 posts per page, perhaps there's a difference?]

I'm awaiting your results . I know you'll be as accurate as possible. :pop:

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
This link brings you closer to post #3328 that Vaporologist references : http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provape/131028-provari-variable-voltage-mod-111.html

[^ although, my setting is at 30 posts per page, perhaps there's a difference?]

I'm awaiting your results . I know you'll be as accurate as possible. :pop:

Thanks progg, I will try my best but this morning I screwed up :(. I had to leave my office in a hurry so, being distracted and without thinking, I threw a 3.0 ohm carto on and left for over an hour. Since the accuracy of the test was compromised, I will have to refill my bottle and start it again when the battery has to be replaced. (Sigh)

progg

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Thanks progg, I will try my best but this morning I screwed up :(. I had to leave my office in a hurry so, being distracted and without thinking, I threw a 3.0 ohm carto on and left for over an hour. Since the accuracy of the test was compromised, I will have to refill my bottle and start it again when the battery has to be replaced. (Sigh)

That's alright, practicing refilling bottles will come in handy. Next we hope to have you test bubble longevity -- champagne vs sparkling wine. ;)

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Well, I restarted the test on Wed morning (6-15-11) and after about 8 ½ days, it’s finally complete. Here’s how this simple “in-the-field test” was conducted and what it revealed.

The test was conducted in two phases or two parts. During each phase I used the same three AW IMR 18490 batteries twice, a total of six battery cycles per each phase or 12 battery cycles for the duration of the whole test. I turned the Lo feature Off and let the ProVari shut itself down when the battery needed to be changed. I checked every battery every time the unit shut down. The ProVari displayed a 3.3V reading. The DMM obviously showed a higher voltage reading, around 3.55V with +/- 0.03V.

During the first half of the test, the ProVari was set at 4.6V and used with a brand new Joye 510 atty metering at 2.1 ohm, creating 10.08 watts. During the second half, the ProVari was set at 5.6V and used with a brand new HV510 atty metering at 3.1 ohm, creating 10.11 watts. I wanted to make sure that the wattage was nearly identical on both setups, creating nearly the same vaping experience; otherwise the whole test would have been pointless IMO. I paid very close attention to keeping my vaping habits as consistent as possible, taking 4-5 drags every few minutes (5 seconds per drag), never over-dripping and wasting juice and creating the increase in load when the atty is flooded. Also, in between every battery change I maintained the atty by blowing out the juice and re-priming it with 4 drops. Oh, and in case it’s relevant, I used the same juice for the duration of the whole test.

The objective was to simply find out which setup will allow a longer battery life by measuring which setup enabled greater juice consumption for each part of the test. Here is the outcome from both tests:

4.6V with 2.1 ohm (10.08 W) used 19 ml of juice during 6 battery cycles - about 3.2 ml per battery cycle

5.6V with 3.1 ohm (10.12 W) used 22 ml of juice during 6 battery cycles - about 3.7 ml per battery cycle

This non-scientific but relatively accurate hands-on test suggests that a higher voltage w/ higher resistance atty combo on a ProVari provides a slightly longer in-between-charges battery life than a lower voltage with lower resistance atty combo does when the same wattage is achieved. However, I believe that many people will suggest that this marginal difference is insignificant since it averages out to only 0.25 ml per battery cycle when comparing the two setups used during this test.

I was pretty surprised by these findings. For some reason I assumed that I would find a much greater difference in battery life between the two setups. I am actually happy to now know otherwise. And now I can finally allow myself to relax, vape more and think less… :)

Last edited:

LegioX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
New York
Well, I restarted the test on Wed morning (6-15-11) and after about 8 ½ days, it’s finally complete. Here’s how this simple “in-the-field test” was conducted and what it revealed.

The test was conducted in two phases or two parts. During each phase I used the same three AW IMR 18490 batteries twice, a total of six battery cycles per each phase or 12 battery cycles for the duration of the whole test. I turned the Lo feature Off and let the ProVari shut itself down when the battery needed to be changed. I checked every battery every time the unit shut down. The ProVari displayed a 3.3V reading. The DMM obviously showed a higher voltage reading, around 3.55V with +/- 0.03V.

During the first half of the test, the ProVari was set at 4.6V and used with a brand new Joye 510 atty metering at 2.1 ohm, creating 10.08 watts. During the second half, the ProVari was set at 5.6V and used with a brand new HV510 atty metering at 3.1 ohm, creating 10.11 watts. I wanted to make sure that the wattage was nearly identical on both setups, creating nearly the same vaping experience; otherwise the whole test would have been pointless IMO. I paid very close attention to keeping my vaping habits as consistent as possible, taking 4-5 drags every few minutes (5 seconds per drag), never over-dripping and wasting juice and creating the increase in load when the atty is flooded. Also, in between every battery change I maintained the atty by blowing out the juice and re-priming it with 4 drops. Oh, and in case it’s relevant, I used the same juice for the duration of the whole test.

The objective was to simply find out which setup will allow a longer battery life by measuring which setup enabled greater juice consumption for each part of the test. Here is the outcome from both tests:

4.6V with 2.1 ohm (10.08 W) used 19 ml of juice during 6 battery cycles - about 3.2 ml per battery cycle

5.6V with 3.1 ohm (10.12 W) used 22 ml of juice during 6 battery cycles - about 3.7 ml per battery cycle

This non-scientific but relatively accurate hands-on test suggests that a higher voltage w/ higher resistance atty combo on a ProVari provides a slightly longer in-between-charges battery life than a lower voltage with lower resistance atty combo does when the same wattage is achieved. However, I believe that many people will suggest that this marginal difference is insignificant since it averages out to only 0.25 ml per battery cycle when comparing the two setups used during this test.

I was pretty surprised by these findings. For some reason I assumed that I would find a much greater difference in battery life between the two setups. I am actually happy to now know otherwise. And now I can finally allow myself to relax, vape more and think less… :)

Nice job sticking with the experiment! Interesting results. And I am glad you've been put to ease.

I think its pretty hard evidence and confirmation.

I just took a look at the Ohm's Law calculator

Your setup with high voltage + high ohm = 1.80645 current

Your setup with lower voltage + lower ohm = 2.19048.

With a difference in wattage of .38403, and a much larger difference in current, it appears that scientifically speaking the higher voltage + higher ohm does in fact draw less current.

Now, I am not exactly sure what current is, LOL, but seeing as how less of it apparently equals more battery life, it sounds like you'd want to keep it lower :)

And after I just ordered 5 LR attys :( oh well, we know for next time haha.

p.s. slight afterthought, but the only variable in this situation would definitely be the circuitry of the Provari itself, of which I have no clue of its affect on the question at hand. though your evidence does confirm in fact that regardless, higher ohms pull less current even at the same wattage.

Last edited:

executivul

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
Romania
I know something wich may be related to our issue here, I've read it in the TI PTN04050C's datasheet.
The performance of a converter is not constant. That means if you convert the battery voltage (let's say 3.7V) to a voltage V1 (eg 4.5V) you get 90% performance (10% is lost as heat in the converter) and if you convert to V2 (eg 6.5V) you get 95% performance (only 5% loss). The numbers are not accurate and Provari uses a custom converter, but I guess the principle is the same. A further proof is that sometimes I can feel my vari hotter than other times using a different voltage/atomiser. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to this so I can't say what voltage is the sweet spot for performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread