PTN04050CAD Laser Toner Transfer PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrengles

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2011
Has anyone made a PCB Board for the TI Booster either at 5volts or VV?

I planing on making my first PCB using the toner transfer Method. I'd want to start of easy with just a 5 volt version basically the PRN04050cad and two 100uf caps.

If I can get enough guidance I'll make a PCB to house PTN, 2 Caps, 2 resistors, pot and diode.

Does anyone have a file they would be willing to share or PCB design experience and would be willing to help out with design of a board for a vv TI booster like the .44 mini booster box?

I would like to be able to fit this in a 2xAA battery box, or a custom wood/delrin box down the road.

Anyone interested? It's a learning mod for me. I think it would be allot of fun. And if it works out a great place for future info about a homemade PCB for a booster mod.

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
I dont have a circuit made up for the booster. cant remember the PRN04050cad one is that those balls that fit on the pads or is it the one with pins. I can help you out as much as i can. The Design CAD i use is Linux based called Geda. If you never used a CAD for electronics design it has a pretty steep learning curve. I could whip out a design for you pretty quick thats a easy chip. But i would need to know what caps you want to use and resistors pot and diode too. Parts come in all different shapes and sizes so i need the data sheets on them to layout the board properly. Resistors come so small that a fleas .... is bigger. But i would suggest 0805's package size if you haven't soldered small stuff before. But if you get together a parts list i can design a board. If you wanted to learn a design program then the only help i could give there is in Geda. Not sure how far you want to take it.

EDIT: forgot to post a picture of some of my work :)
IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

Last edited:

mrengles

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2011
Java

I'll put together a parts list and gather some data sheets if you don't mind.

I'll PM you my email address. Do you mind if I post all of this info on ECF so others can use your design? Make sure to add your signature to the board. :p

I'd really like to mess around with the software you mentioned; so I'm going to get a Linux box running under a VM. Do you know if this software might run on a Mac? I hate asking questions that can be answered with one quick google search. :)

Thanks for the Help!!!

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
I have no problem sharing we can post it for all to use. I usually export it to PDF then print the PDF page with he traces. Mainly because you would get a 12 page report going straight to the printer with this thing it gives you the drills solder mask , vias, and so on all on seperate pages. Geda will export to a ton of formats Gerbers are just one of them and also free in linux. Not sure if Geda runs in mac or not i might have been ported over. But a VM machine should do the trick if not . Once i have the part list it wont take long.

MadmanMacguyver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Dallas Texas
My hero...you and Scubabatdan and a few others modders here are a great asset to the community...I'm sure many could not do the more complex stuff without your help...or at the very least would have a really hard time making Pretty...

I'm curious tho what method are you using to attach the charge controller chip to the boards you use...do you have a reflow setup or just use a toaster oven?

Last edited:

mrengles

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2011
My hero...you and Scubabatdan and a few others modders here are a great asset to the community...I'm sure many could not do the more complex stuff without your help...or at the very least would have a really hard time making Pretty...

I'm curious tho what method are you using to attach the charge controller chip to the boards you use...do you have a reflow setup or just use a toaster oven?

I'm going to solder the through whole pins to the PCB. Just like I would any other component. One of the reasons I can't use regular project strip boards is because of the pins layout is a little off.

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Thanks Madman, Yeah knowledge is a wonderful thing , We for sure are not born with it. Hell this time last year i didn't know much about electronics But i learned from here and other places on the web and also reverse engineering some stuff posted. But i have no problem sharing Info or teaching what i have learned. My biggest concern is that i learned it right or didn't learn bogus stuff or misinformation so i can pass along good true info.

I do have a rework station that i use for those types of chips. But they are still a pain in the .... without a solder mask. So i almost have the solder mask down i might just venture back into those chips. I had to drop them because with out a solder mask they will get shorted with a quickness. But yeah i got one of these on sale. Not top of the line or anything but it has worked great for me so far.
71VpI5CEM8L._AA1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
I'm going to solder the through whole pins to the PCB. Just like I would any other component. One of the reasons I can't use regular project strip boards is because of the pins layout is a little off.

Yeah threw hole for the booster but i think we can make this thing really small using SMD resistors and a Diode. Maybe even some MLCC caps. i forget if electrolytic caps are required or not on this chip i know the evercool requires them. But i can see making this thing fit into a very small space.

MadmanMacguyver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Dallas Texas
Thanks Madman, Yeah knowledge is a wonderful thing , We for sure are not born with it. Hell this time last year i didn't know much about electronics But i learned from here and other places on the web and also reverse engineering some stuff posted. But i have no problem sharing Info or teaching what i have learned. My biggest concern is that i learned it right or didn't learn bogus stuff or misinformation so i can pass along good true info.

I do have a rework station that i use for those types of chips. But they are still a pain in the .... without a solder mask. So i almost have the solder mask down i might just venture back into those chips. I had to drop them because with out a solder mask they will get shorted with a quickness. But yeah i got one of these on sale. Not top of the line or anything but it has worked great for me so far.
71VpI5CEM8L._AA1500_.jpg

Its so pretty......and waaaaayy out of my price range...and as for knowledge...I practically suck it in by osmosis...I have read so much on so many varying subjects since childhood (the main branch librarians were my best friends)that it doesn't take much to wake up those dormant memory engrams and off I go looking like I was born to it...:lol:

Last edited:

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
They are not all that much. I got mine for 115 shipped i think they are a bit more now. But pretty comparable to just a good weller iron.

Yeah i hear you there if it is something i am interested in i am like a sponge soaking it all in.

mrengles: When you get the parts list up dont order the parts till we get the board worked out. Usually a few things will get changed threw the design process.

mrengles

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2011
They are not all that much. I got mine for 115 shipped i think they are a bit more now. But pretty comparable to just a good weller iron.

Yeah i hear you there if it is something i am interested in i am like a sponge soaking it all in.

mrengles: When you get the parts list up dont order the parts till we get the board worked out. Usually a few things will get changed threw the design process.

Right. I won't order anything until we know what will be needed.

Java can you PM your email. It will make it easier to get you the list of my phone.

I'm not going to post the parts list in this thread until complete to avoid any confustion.

Last edited:

Chip_

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2011
Texas
Java

I'd really like to mess around with the software you mentioned; so I'm going to get a Linux box running under a VM. Do you know if this software might run on a Mac? I hate asking questions that can be answered with one quick google search. :)

Thanks for the Help!!!

There is a free layout program available at Free PCB Layout Software Download Webpage.

These guys also do quick turn PCB's. I have never used the free layout program. I use Mentor Graphics, PAds, PCAD and ORcad. I have never tried these free versions, but hey, they are free.
:p

mrengles

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2011
There is a free layout program available at Free PCB Layout Software Download Webpage.

These guys also do quick turn PCB's. I have never used the free layout program. I use Mentor Graphics, PAds, PCAD and ORcad. I have never tried these free versions, but hey, they are free.
:p

Thanks. I'll take a look. I really wanted to build the board myself. I have allot of stress in my life right now due to my wife's health. This project is going to help keep my mind out of the gutter. :)

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Java,

PM received, and replied by email.

Let me know if you need anything else. Together we might be able to find better components.

My father has a company that sells electronics to the military and the aviation industry.

It would be cool if this mod was built to mil-spec standards. :)

Let me know, what you need.

Got the email, I sent a reply asking a few questions. Mainly just need to know the working space. The electrolytic caps are space hogs and required on this chip Might have to slap them on the chip side of the board ( threw hole ones) going to add to the length of the board .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread