• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Puffy Eyes from Pollen and Sinus Congestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
My eyes felt so funny one morning when I awoke that I looked in the mirror to see was up with that. I couldn't believe what was staring back at me. My eyes tissues directly under my bottom lid were all puffed up terribly. That was about a month ago, and it didn't seem to be going away. It just seemed to be getting worse everyday.

So I went goggling around to see what I could find. I found a link on uTube from a certified accupressurist who demonstrates the accupressure points to alleviate it. So I read a lot of the viewer's reviews, which most were encouraging. I thought it wouldn't hurt to try, it's free, so I did, and it works! It's a vid of her showing very clearly where the pressure points are. It's an ongoing process of twice a day over a couple of weeks time.

Every time I do this, I can feel liquid running down the back of throat, so I figure it must be clogged sinuses (if that makes sense). My eye swelling has reduced at least 60%. So I thought I would share it with other sinus sufferers. Anyway, I hope it works as well for anyone else who tries it as well as it worked for me. Tomorrow I'm going to try putting tea bags over the tissue to see if it tightens it up a little more. I've heard cucumbers work too, but I haven't tried that yet. I've also heard of ppl using Preparation H, but I don't have any of that to try with.

YouTube - Get Rid Of Under Eye Bags, Dark Circles & Wrinkles With Acupressure

Does anyone else know of something that might help? I do have a Neti Pot I'm going to also try tomorrow. Please and thank you.

Ardeagold

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2010
Maryland
I use Sudafed (have to sign for it at the counter, but don't need an Rx....however, if you have high blood pressure, you shouldn't use it, so talk to your doc about it) and Advil ... Or the generic versions. However, if it's been continuing for a month, you might have a sinus infection and need an antibiotic, plus some nasal spray (Afrin is what my Doc gave me). I'd go to the doctor if it continues much longer.

Hope you feel better soon!

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Hi Adreagold,

I don't take too many OTC drugs b/c if there's a possible side effect attached to it, seems like it's always me that shows the effects. I don't even own aspirin. I never get colds or flu, just allergies and swollen neck glands. This sinus condition is a new thing to me, though. I think I'm going to try the Neti Pot again -- see if that helps.

I don't really know if sinusitis and allergies are related. But when I get an allergy attack, it's usually short-lived by using an Epi-pen. I don't like those, the needle's too big and they hurt.

The first time I had an allergy reaction was from thinning a lot of ivy out of my yard. When I went to Urgent Care, they shot me full of epinephrine and started prepping me for a tracheotomy. Kinda scary. They called it a systemic reaction. Luckily the epi meds kicked in, and I got to go home without a hole drilled into my neck. And I'm also allergic to a few Rx meds (tetracycline and sulfas), so I'm afraid to chance the OTC ones. I did get heartburn one year when I ate too much for Thanksgiving, and I had to chew some Tumms -- no reaction from them.

About the high blood pressure: Yeah, I do have high blood pressure. It's usually in the area of 117/86. I think it's supposed to be more like 112/78-79. Not sure, I'll have to google it later. When I eat a couple of avocados every day, it usually gets back down to where it's supposed to be. I read about that in my book "The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth" by Jonny Bowden, PhD, CNS. I really like that book.

Thanks for the get well wishes.

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet

I'll offer up cold water. Simple cold water splashed on your face after washing with hot water does wonders for the health of your skin. Do the same thing in the shower too. Right at the end of the shower, turn the water as cold as you can stand, then get out. It's cheaper than all of the skin products and does the same pore tightening which helps to keep out irritants. FWIW anyway.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I'll offer up cold water. Simple cold water splashed on your face after washing with hot water does wonders for the health of your skin. Do the same thing in the shower too. Right at the end of the shower, turn the water as cold as you can stand, then get out. It's cheaper than all of the skin products and does the same pore tightening which helps to keep out irritants. FWIW anyway.

Just did this, but the water was so cold I could only go 10 cupped handsful of water to rinse - just too cold. The cold rinse after the shower will have to wait until tomorrow if I grow some courage overnight, brrrr. That's too cruel, LOL.

One of my friends uses the neti pot and she says it works really well. Hope you feel better soon (((hugs)))

Just got through with this as step #2. Everyone on uTube makes it so easy, but I end up sputtering and half drowning. I think it's b/c I tend to clamp my mouth closed instead of opening it like the instructions say.

Yeah the swollen eye thing stinks...My trouble is the live oak trees here. Cold compresses ! Man....I get bad !!! Love the neti pot tho !!! I add colloidal silver to it, and I add colloidal silver to my saline nasal spray...

Did this as step #3 - running ice cube under eyes. Even though its's ice, it feels good. My eye tissue must have a fever in it b/c the ice melted really quickly. The only thing I haven't done yet is the accupressure thingy. Classy, when I went to the health food store a few months ago from nictine burns on my face, the clerk sprayed my whole face twice with the colloidal silver. It really helped just overnight. Don't have any of that yet. Still thinking about Ardeagold's Sudafed suggestion -- maybe.

If I have sinusitis, it just seems odd to me that I don't have a stuffed up nose or throat, so I'm not suffering or feeling puny until I look in the mirror and see myself, LOL.

Thanks everybody, hopefully it will be gone soon. Hope the skin snaps back up to where it's supposed to be. I don't want to live the rest of my life in sunglasses, LOL.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Sinusitis stays "up high" not usually stuffy with it, just pressure ....I fight it constantly...never goes completely away....surgery won't help...Mine (and most) are fungal and not bacterial...harder to battle....would like to take a diflucan (used for other purposes) once a month but the doctor does not believe me that it works !! Duh...it is an anti fungal......and it does clear it up for a while !!

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Well maybe that explains why I've been battling ear infections for the last couple of years. Do you think it could be related? Have you been prone to more infections lately? Seems like I've heard a few ppl comment on it within the past coupla months. How many times do you do the neti pot each day (when you're using it), Classy? Please and thank you.

vapi

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
Ohio
Cucumbers will help with the swelling and discoloration but use the underside of the peel instead of the part you eat. If the acupressure works good and you want a less expensive alternative, contact your local beauty school and set up an appointment for a Shiatsu Facial. Students practice for a fraction of the price a spa will charge. The Shiatsu Facial will be concentrated around the sinus and is designed for sinus relief plus the esthetician will use a menthol type oil for the massage.

I have a sinus infection now and thank goodness my husband has busy fingers, his facial rubs are usually annoying but last night it was welcomed. He always wants to pinch blackheads too! He's so gentle, feels better than most pro's that have worked on my face!

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
Just did this, but the water was so cold I could only go 10 cupped handsful of water to rinse - just too cold. The cold rinse after the shower will have to wait until tomorrow if I grow some courage overnight, brrrr. That's too cruel, LOL.

Don't make it uncomfortable . . . just what you can bear. Then again . . . I'm a guy, so imagine a chimp in your sink. :laugh: There are a lot of home remedies I've tried before finding my spot for keeping my face/body clean and clear from irritants. The hottest/driest part of the summer and the coldest/driest part of the winter is tough for keeping my skin hydrated, but the rest of the year has become easier.

Another big helper has been local honey. It is a miracle for sinusitis and allergy sufferers! Honey made from the local pollens is a natural antidote.

Hope you get feeling better. There's nothing worse than your head being in a vise inside a fog cloud. It controls your whole day.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Cucumbers will help with the swelling and discoloration but use the underside of the peel instead of the part you eat. ............ thank goodness my husband has busy fingers, his facial rubs are usually annoying but last night it was welcomed. ..... He's so gentle, feels better than most pro's that have worked on my face!

IDK that about the peel. That (or tea bags) was going to be the last thing b4 bed, but I forgot. Lucky you to have a helping hubby. I dated a man that liked to massage my head and brush my hair. It was heavenly. He was a rare, precious jewel, and I was sad to leave him behind when I had to move back to Calif.

Awwwwww......that's cute.....but...ya know what's next ...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, Classy. I bought a book from amazon called The Art of Sensual Massage (not to be confused w/erotic massage), and it was so relaxing and mood elevating. Worked every time!

Another big helper has been local honey. It is a miracle for sinusitis and allergy sufferers! Honey made from the local pollens is a natural antidote.

Now what are we talking about here, Freaky? Eating it or putting it on your face? Because I know putting honey on the face is also a purifier and helps dislodge blackheads. Please and thank you.

ETA: My swelling is almost gone, and the wrinkly looking skin from the bags is starting to snap back into shape. I'm so jazzed, but I'm still going to continue with everything for the next week to keep it from coming back. Thanks so much everyone. I felt like putting a paper bag over my head to even check the mail, LOL.

Last edited:

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
Now what are we talking about here, Freaky? Eating it or putting it on your face? Because I know putting honey on the face is also a purifier and helps dislodge blackheads. Please and thank you.

Sorry . . . eating it. It's more of a daily thing for maintenance, and seasonal too. During the summer, around here, people are quick to ask "Are you eating your honey?" when somebody sneezes, LOL. You want to get local honey from a local farmer, but not too much at a time, as the pollens will change throughout the year, and from year to year also. I suppose you could apply it directly to the skin too, but I've never researched that . . . I think raw honey can be astringent and rough on the skin though????? You might want to look that one up.

Glad to hear you're feeling better!

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Okay, how much a day are you guys "around here" eating a day that keeps the sneezies away? IDK there were pollens in honey in the actual pollen form. That would be kind of like stinging nettle now wouldn't it? -- you can't touch it, but you can eat it. I always get my local honey cinnamon ambrosia style so it has the propolis in it and also the cinnamon for keeping my sugar levels stable, and I used to put the royal jelly on my face.:laugh:

Hey, I see you're an Oregonian!:) I lived in Cave Junction and Grants Pass for about 6 years, then I moved up to La Grande. All those good memories. We used to go 4-wheeling a lot in the Kalmiopsis Wilderness area, and that's the first place I ever got caught skinny dipping by a game warden, LOL.:blush: And that's where I learned and started dirt bike racing. I worked at a riverside resort on the Rogue River and went to Rogue Community College. Very fun times in Oregon. I was a police dispatcher for the Grants Pass Sherriff's Dept. for a while, then Cave Junction's first female city police officer. A few of my family members are still up there around the Medford/Ashland area. And Ashland Oregon is where I wouldn't mind having a second home some day to enjoy a snowbirding lifestyle.

Now that I've hijacked my own thread, thanks for the info, FreakyStylie.:)

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
LOL In here (women's room) we don't care if threads...ummm... evolve. It's my theory that the best threads evolve.

:laugh: I just saw the topic in today's posts, and never even saw where I was posting. :oops: But, hey . . . I like to take care of my skin too! :laugh: I just had my 40th b-day party recently and had received a good number of jaw drops when my age came up (birthday party and all) from people who weren't even with our party, so I must be doing something right, LOL.

Okay, how much a day are you guys "around here" eating a day that keeps the sneezies away? IDK there were pollens in honey in the actual pollen form. That would be kind of like stinging nettle now wouldn't it? -- you can't touch it, but you can eat it. I always get my local honey cinnamon ambrosia style so it has the propolis in it and also the cinnamon for keeping my sugar levels stable, and I used to put the royal jelly on my face.:laugh:

Hey, I see you're an Oregonian!:) I lived in Cave Junction and Grants Pass for about 6 years, then I moved up to La Grande. All those good memories. We used to go 4-wheeling a lot in the Kalmiopsis Wilderness area, and that's the first place I ever got caught skinny dipping by a game warden, LOL.:blush: And that's where I learned and started dirt bike racing. I worked at a riverside resort on the Rogue River and went to Rogue Community College. Very fun times in Oregon. I was a police dispatcher for the Grants Pass Sherriff's Dept. for a while, then Cave Junction's first female city police officer. A few of my family members are still up there around the Medford/Ashland area. And Ashland Oregon is where I wouldn't mind having a second home some day to enjoy a snowbirding lifestyle.

Now that I've hijacked my own thread, thanks for the info, FreakyStylie.:)

Not that the pollen is in the honey, but that the honey is made from the pollen(s) that irritate you. It really becomes the anti-venom, if you will, of the pollen world. Meter it out to best serve you, but a lot of people around here (Willamette Valley) have switched as much sugar over to honey as they can. As long as it is made from local bee hives, then you can flavor it/mix it however you want.

OK, I did this same thing on my b-day party . . . I had a little too much, and accidentally walked into the "Women's Room" instead of the exit door . . . so I think I'll carefully tip-toe out now. :oops: :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread