Pulse 80w + Dremel = 21700

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my pulse today. There was no way I wasn't going to put my 40Ts in it. So I went ahead and sanded the battery enclosure with a dremel and... boom, 21700 compatible within a couple of minutes, and then a couple more minutes to make it sit smoother. It was that easy, and I had never used a dremel before.

If anyone wants to try it (just don't blame me if you mess up your mod), the only thing I sanded was the top part, to the sides (where the negative "-" is marked and its opposite side). Basically just did a bit to each side on the top until the 21700 fit nicely. Didn't even have to sand the doors, they are nice and flush with a 21700.

The real question is if it was so easy for a complete amateur and obviously didn't require much of any kind of change in the design, why wasn't it made so from the factory?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Very nice! Sounds like a worth while modification. Maybe you could post a pic or two so it is easier for people to see what you did and exactly where, so they could replicate it easier.

I love my 40Ts. I don't think I will go back down to 18650s after using them, I can go all day on a single battery on my Stinger BF with the 40T where I was going through at least 2-3 18650s (depending on which ones).

Not everyone wants the weight of a 27-- series battery, for one.

I'm sure there are other reasons. I'm glad you had good success though.

Anna

Thanks! I agree also that not everyone wants to fit a 21700 battery in their mods. I just felt that since this mod in particular was already made for a 20700, it's a little odd that they didn't give it that extra 1mm around the battery.

Very nice! Sounds like a worth while modification. Maybe you could post a pic or two so it is easier for people to see what you did and exactly where, so they could replicate it easier.

I love my 40Ts. I don't think I will go back down to 18650s after using them, I can go all day on a single battery on my Stinger BF with the 40T where I was going through at least 2-3 18650s (depending on which ones).

Yep. Though I repeat, whoever does this is at their own risk!

Just trim the walls at the top, where the arrows are. Careful on the left side as I don't know how thick that side is. The other side you can see is plenty thick.

pulse21.jpg

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Wow, thank you for posting this. I don't quite have the guts to do mine yet, but I'm glad you showed how little material had to be removed.

Really surprised it didn't come from the factory considering this. That's an epic fail on the VV/Tony B end as far as I'm concerned.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I did nothing, just push my 40t in .... View attachment 742517
Lol, yours made it huh? Any damage to the wrap? I'll bet over time it ends up getting scored and damaged.

I know DJLsb says the Sanyo 21700's are on the smaller size, 21700's are all over the place as far as size. I actually was able to double wrap mine with 20700 wraps. It's a very tight fit, but it did work double wrapping them.

I wonder if mine would make it if they weren't double wrapped, but I hate to risk damaging the factory wraps trying.

Willing to bet with Sanyo 21700's at least, that it wouldn't take removing much material to get them to fit easily. I'm currently running double wrapped Sanyo 20700Bs, they are easy to insert and remove, but no real play once they are in. All of my batteries are double wrapped, I would prefer to leave them that way.

Anyways, I do know DJLsb says the Sanyo 21700s are on the small size compared to other batteries that size. Could be why you were able to squeeze the 40Ts in there.

Just reinforces the fact there is no excuses why it couldn't have fit 21700s from the factory. I know Tony B mentioned in one video they didn't want to make the mod that much bigger. Obviously they didn't need to. :)

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Yep. Though I repeat, whoever does this is at their own risk!

Just trim the walls at the top, where the arrows are. Careful on the left side as I don't know how thick that side is. The other side you can see is plenty thick.

View attachment 742379

Great idea and agree they should have made it a bit bigger but at least they put arrows right where you needed to sand. :lol:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Lol, yours made it huh? Any damage to the wrap? I'll bet over time it ends up getting scored and damaged.

I know DJLsb says the Sanyo 21700's are on the smaller size, 21700's are all over the place as far as size. I actually was able to double wrap mine with 20700 wraps. It's a very tight fit, but it did work double wrapping them.

I wonder if mine would make it if they weren't double wrapped, but I hate to risk damaging the factory wraps trying.

Willing to bet with Sanyo 21700's at least, that it wouldn't take removing much material to get them to fit easily. I'm currently running double wrapped Sanyo 20700Bs, they are easy to insert and remove, but no real play once they are in. All of my batteries are double wrapped, I would prefer to leave them that way.

Anyways, I do know DJLsb says the Sanyo 21700s are on the small size compared to other batteries that size. Could be why you were able to squeeze the 40Ts in there.

Just reinforces the fact there is no excuses why it couldn't have fit 21700s from the factory. I know Tony B mentioned in one video they didn't want to make the mod that much bigger. Obviously they didn't need to. :)
These Samsung 40Ts do not fit 20700 battery wraps. I tried quite a few from different manufacturers with no joy. The 40Ts are a touch bigger than the Sanyo batteries.

I am still searching for a wrap for these batteries, if anyone has any suggestions...

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
These Samsung 40Ts do not fit 20700 battery wraps. I tried quite a few from different manufacturers with no joy. The 40Ts are a touch bigger than the Sanyo batteries.

I am still searching for a wrap for these batteries, if anyone has any suggestions...

I would say try some 26650 wraps but they would be too short,even with the opening along the sides of the battery.

Reactions: stols001

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I would say try some 26650 wraps but they would be too short,even with the opening along the sides of the battery.
I tried that, and it was too short. Also, I could see where some of those wraps may not shrink down enough, but the one I tried did shrink down enough.

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2018
Got my pulse today. There was no way I wasn't going to put my 40Ts in it. So I went ahead and sanded the battery enclosure with a dremel and... boom, 21700 compatible within a couple of minutes, and then a couple more minutes to make it sit smoother. It was that easy, and I had never used a dremel before.

If anyone wants to try it (just don't blame me if you mess up your mod), the only thing I sanded was the top part, to the sides (where the negative "-" is marked and its opposite side). Basically just did a bit to each side on the top until the 21700 fit nicely. Didn't even have to sand the doors, they are nice and flush with a 21700.

The real question is if it was so easy for a complete amateur and obviously didn't require much of any kind of change in the design, why wasn't it made so from the factory?
do u have any problem with batt door ? my can't sit flat when i use 21700 batt .....

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Get wraps by Metre (or Yard or Fathom or whatever you colonists use nowadays :p), you don't have to buy them cut to length, they also exist as loooong rolled up tubes. Scamazon or electronics/battery suppliers usually have 'em.

bsidb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
Leroy,NY
Get wraps by Metre (or Yard or Fathom or whatever you colonists use nowadays :p), you don't have to buy them cut to length, they also exist as loooong rolled up tubes. Scamazon or electronics/battery suppliers usually have 'em.

Foot , 12 inches per foot,3 foot per Yard, is the way we go:vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread