PVs and fire alarm systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaterSkater

ECF Veteran
I work for a commercial fire alarm company. My boss came into my office the other day and changed out the smoke detector. He said the owner wanted to test this new brand we were considering using. I asked him if he wanted me to try to set it off with my PV, he said sure. He knows I vape in my office and so do the owners, they are cool with it. I wasn't sure if the vaper would set it off or not. I blew a few clouds from my Prodigy with a 510 adapter. The detector was about a foot away from me. Nothing happened. I then took a rolled up set of fire alarm plans and took a HUGE drag from the Prodigy then blew it slowly and directly into the smoke head....It worked! I guess what I am saying is PVs can set off a smoke detector, but only if you try VERY hard. An analog will set them off much easier. We all got a big laugh when the horn strobes started blairing and all the doors droped! :D

googled

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2009
ukvapers.com
Was it a photoelectric or ionization detector? I suspect smoke detectors will become a fairly serious concern as far as vaping is concerned since they would be in places where cigarettes are prohibited. I can see how a photoelectric detector would be set off from pg vapour if enough is blown into the sensor but I can't see that type being a problem since the density of vapour appears much less than tobacco smoke and disperses too quickly before it would 'block' the sensor which are usually high up and at a distance from where we would be vaping but what about ionization detectors?

Porphy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Lancaster, CA
www.AVEJuice.com
Good to know. I secretly walk around the hospital I work at vaping away, and no one knows. But I gotta stop and clear the vapor when I realize I blew it straight under a detector. Alarms/sprinklers/LOTS of destroyed equipment/me fired :(

No need to worry about the sprinklers. Unless the vapor can raise the temperature which I doubt. Don't believe those movies where a guy lights a small fire under one sprinkler and the whole building begins to rain... they just don't work like that.

Last edited:

Celeastar

Sep 18, 2009
Amazed that vapor would set off a smoke alarm. Hmmmmm - Really?

Somehow, I am not believing this experiment even though blown directly at the alarm system.

As for the hospital scenario, even less believable. Clear the vapor, like seriously creating clouds of vapor around one and this is secretly vaping? What seems not possible in this picture? Perhaps the picture was created in a way that is not believable - as clarity is not there to see the possiblity of the description.

beckah54

Dog Lover!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
Ohio

Somehow, I am not believing this experiment even though blown directly at the alarm system.

As for the hospital scenario, even less believable. Clear the vapor, like seriously creating clouds of vapor around one and this is secretly vaping? What seems not possible in this picture? Perhaps the picture was created in a way that is not believable - as clarity is not there to see the possiblity of the description.

If you hold the vapor in your lungs for 5-10 seconds, there is usually little or no vapor exhaled so there is no cloud of vapor. You can also purchase stealth juice that produces no vapor on exhale.

LaterSkater

ECF Veteran

Trust me, I've been in the industry for years. I used to do concert production too. Fog machines will also set off an F/A system. In a normal sprinkler system, it takes heat to break a sprinkler head. On a pre-action system, a smoke can set off the deluge.

LaterSkater

ECF Veteran
No need to worry about the sprinklers. Unless the vapor can raise the temperature which I doubt. Don't believe those movies where a guy lights a small fire under one sprinkler and the whole building begins to rain... they just don't work like that.

Correct. On TV they show one sprinkler head break and the whole building is "raining". That always makes me laugh. That water is also rancid as hell. You don't want that water anywhere near you. It IS better than burning tough....I guess.

LaterSkater

ECF Veteran
Good to know. I secretly walk around the hospital I work at vaping away, and no one knows. But I gotta stop and clear the vapor when I realize I blew it straight under a detector. Alarms/sprinklers/LOTS of destroyed equipment/me fired :(

Don't worry about it. Your all good. It took ALOT of non-inhailed vapor blown through a set of rolled up plans (a tube). The vap was from a Prodigy 5 volt with a 510 atomizer. I couln't get it to trigger by just blowing it on the straight on the detector.

LaterSkater

ECF Veteran
Later: So lets just say I vape in a school, under the sprinklers. In said mysthical location :)rolleyes:). There should be no concerns... ie closed areas bathrooms and the like?

It would be impossible to get a sprinkler head to break with a PV....Unless you hammer on it with a Silver Bullet or Prodigy! LOL Smoke does not set off sprinklers. Your good to go!

Porphy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Lancaster, CA
www.AVEJuice.com
Later: So lets just say I vape in a school, under the sprinklers. In said mysthical location :)rolleyes:). There should be no concerns... ie closed areas bathrooms and the like?

None. You would have to have such a concentration that you would equal a rock performance going directly at the smoke detector before it would go off. I can't imagine you getting it to go off unless you are trying to like the OP. As for sprinkler systems I would love to see a guy try to get his vapor to set off a sprinkler system, he'd die of a coronary first.

LaterSkater

ECF Veteran
FANTASTIC! I'll let my "Friend" know... ;)

Keep in mind; its possible to set off a smoke detector, although HIGHLY UNLIKELY. (you would have to try very hard) The smoke detector, however, will not set off the sprinkler system, unless you are in some kind of "special" room like a computer room with a pre action system.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
Trust me, I've been in the industry for years. I used to do concert production too. Fog machines will also set off an F/A system. In a normal sprinkler system, it takes heat to break a sprinkler head. On a pre-action system, a smoke can set off the deluge.

>

Hmmm. Not on any pre-action system I have ever installed. Normally, an alarmed smoke head will trigger the DGP and energize/open the solenoid valve so that the sprinkler pipes can fill up with water. Then, a second alarm or a rate of rise sprinkler head would have to go into alarm for a deluge. Thus, pre-alarm -- one to fill the pipes, another to rain rancid water. <g>

But I digress, lest we destroy this thread. LOL

At a recent inspection, when I ran out of canned smoke I tried to set off an ionization head with my JS. Failing that and coming close to over-dosing on nicotine <g> I came down the ladder slowly/shakily much to the amusement of the NYFD inspector. It didn't go for naught though -- the inspector loved the e-cig and asked for details.

The consensus was that the particulates are just too small to set off a head. I was also in a bit of an a/c jet stream so it wasn't the best application for a vapor test. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread