[Q] Blue Raspberry Flavoring/Recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
Hello all, and happy 2016!

I have been mixing juice for about a month now... One that I am trying to get down is a blue raspberry slush puppie (the best description of the juice below).

The best juice I have ever tasted is Berry Slush by Draco Vapory in CT. They used to be affordable (for a premium juice) but have since re-branded that flavor under the name of SLUSH and have gone the way of the Ultra Premium liquids with a price of $20+/30ml OUCH.

I'm looking to make this juice, and I would like to call upon the help of the forum for any and all information you could lend. Please see what I have done so far...

--One Stop DIY Shop - Too sour, and tart. Great flavor, but not what I am looking for.

--Fuzion Krankberry (mixed juice, here for comparison) - Way too tart, the pomegranate is overwhelming (spot on blue raspberry jolly rancher though!)

--Blue Raspberry Flavor West - Not even close. Good for what it is, but not what I am looking for here.

--Mixing OSDIYS Blue Raspberry Slush @ 15% with 3 drops sweetener, and 10 drops Smooth is the closest I have gotten, but still has quite a bite compared.

--I tried adding Blueberry Candy flavor, and that made it taste like I was vaping a cough-drop.

I also purchased a recipe from Head in Clouds (HIC) for $3 and I'm waiting to place an order for the flavors listed there. This one is interesting as the blue raspberry is made up from flavors not commonly associated with "Blue Raspberry".

So I'm asking for your help! Any suggestions for a good sweet blue raspberry slush? I'm willing to order from just about anywhere to get this... It's not even so much that I don't want to spend the coin on the premium juice... It's just racking my brain!!!

Reactions: LeeLee26

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
I was already here and typing! Lol!

I've never had that juice, but the OSDIY is one of my faves and I like it @ 15% all by itself. I've been playing with it a lil bit lately and have had some success adding other fruits to it. Adding both TFA Ripe Strawberry and FW Sweet strawberry works well, but completely changes the flavor profile. Adding a few drops of TFA Blueberry Extra and TFA Raspberry with some EM came out ok, but the raspberry has a chemical twang to it that you have to steep out with the cap off for hours and hours, and Blueberry Extra is a wick gunker.

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
I was already here and typing! Lol!

Adding a few drops of TFA Blueberry Extra and TFA Raspberry with some EM came out ok, but the raspberry has a chemical twang to it that you have to steep out with the cap off for hours and hours, and Blueberry Extra is a wick gunker.

I figured I would see you here ;) I have MAYBE 5ml left of Berry Slush, and I refuse to vape it until I get this down... Every so often I will load up a notepad, and BCV, taste a drop on my finger, I get raspberry, but it is not twangy, sour, tart or anything like that AT ALL. Very artificial, but it tastes amazing in this application. I'm about to just order some of the DIY veterans here a full 30ml of the premium stuff, just to see if they can get anything on it lol

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
I'm by no means a veteran DIY'er. Only been mixing my own juice for 6 or 8 months. I've been mostly playing with tobaccos the last 2 months r so trying to recreate a pipe tobacco I used to smoke. Turns out it's already a stand alone flavor that just needed one add-on. Lol! I coulda saved myself hours and hours of what you are doing now if I'd just put it in my cart the first time I saw it. If the OSDIY is close enough but just missing something, I'd keep going with it. Try adding things like whipped cream, a few drops of a vanilla custard or cheesecake, marshmallow, etc. Things that will sweeten it and give it some body, but not alter the flavor too much. I actually tried it with some TFA Vanilla Swirl but I think I added too much and it came out like a sour blueberry pudding kinda thing. I'll eventually re-visit that idea.

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
I'm by no means a veteran DIY'er. Only been mixing my own juice for 6 or 8 months. I've been mostly playing with tobaccos the last 2 months r so trying to recreate a pipe tobacco I used to smoke. Turns out it's already a stand alone flavor that just needed one add-on. Lol! I coulda saved myself hours and hours of what you are doing now if I'd just put it in my cart the first time I saw it. If the OSDIY is close enough but just missing something, I'd keep going with it. Try adding things like whipped cream, a few drops of a vanilla custard or cheesecake, marshmallow, etc. Things that will sweeten it and give it some body, but not alter the flavor too much. I actually tried it with some TFA Vanilla Swirl but I think I added too much and it came out like a sour blueberry pudding kinda thing. I'll eventually re-visit that idea.

Mind of I ask the pipe tobacco? Former pipe smoker here :) Frog Morton was my favorite :D

I'm going to play around with it this weekend in 5ml batches, and note everything. I have most of those flavors, and a few more additives, but there was one ingredient from that recipe I purchased that seems like it would help or complete it. The original name was "Berry Slush" never mentioning "Blue Raspberry" anywhere on the bottle or description. GAH! I'm going to get this one way or another :)

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
It's Inawera Gold Ducat. My 2 faves in my pipe were Borkum Riff and Half and Half. It's just about spot on for one of them, but it's been so long I can't remember which one it was. Lol! It's good stuff though. If you've had IW TDM L'atakia (light, sweet tobacco with hints of vanilla and honey in the background), that's the base for it I think, then there's a dark, sweet fruity note to it. If you vape it hotter, it starts to taste like clove. So much so that it's almost like having a completely new flavor when you add 10W @ 1.5 ohms in a KF. I mixed the first batch at 5% and 80%VG, but I think I might dial it back a lil bit in the next batch. It's about a week and a half old now and it's still getting stronger as it steeps.

Good luck with the Blue Razz mix. If you find a winner let me know. I go through about 100 ml of the stand alone OSDIY every 2 weeks or so and I'm getting a lil bored with it.

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
It's Inawera Gold Ducat. My 2 faves in my pipe were Borkum Riff and Half and Half. It's just about spot on for one of them, but it's been so long I can't remember which one it was. Lol! It's good stuff though. If you've had IW TDM L'atakia (light, sweet tobacco with hints of vanilla and honey in the background), that's the base for it I think, then there's a dark, sweet fruity note to it. If you vape it hotter, it starts to taste like clove. So much so that it's almost like having a completely new flavor when you add 10W @ 1.5 ohms in a KF. I mixed the first batch at 5% and 80%VG, but I think I might dial it back a lil bit in the next batch. It's about a week and a half old now and it's still getting stronger as it steeps.

Good luck with the Blue Razz mix. If you find a winner let me know. I go through about 100 ml of the stand alone OSDIY every 2 weeks or so and I'm getting a lil bored with it.

That is great! Unfortunately, the closest thing I have tasted to my pipe was London Blend from Want2Vape (a NET liquid). I have about 15+ NET liquids from various vendors, and I just can't seem to taste any of them aside from the first pull. If you like a good non-aromatic english blend, try a bottle of that. They do something to it that tastes JUST LIKE a pipe. If I were to close my eyes, bite down on a lucite stem, and vape that, I would not know the difference.

I definitely will let you know. I have a lot of respect for the owner of Draco though, so if I somehow can clone it, I will not call it as such. If anything I may share it with some people here who have shown interest in this, or people who like blue raspberry :)

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
*DIY Naturally Extracted Tobacco, MyVapeJuice, LLC
Check this place out for NET pipe tobaccos. I haven't tried it, but someone in the tobacco only thread suggesred them to me, and the recommendation got several likes an 2nds.
They suggested this one too, but it's pricey and it looks like they are weak extracts.
Extracts

Tried the pre made juices from both of those places. AMAZING customer service from both, but I feel I just may not be cut out for tasting NET juices... Shame too, because the owner over at N.E.T. is a master blender. It can't be the juices... they mix them at 30%.

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
How so? Do they not taste good?

They just don't taste like... anything. Good, bad, or otherwise. I get a slight flavor sometimes, but I really have to search for it. Even with pipe tobacco, cigar, hybrid (flavorings with NET), I feel like I'm missing the tobacco, and flavor. I understand a lot is lost when you remove the combustion, but all of it? Like I said, I have several (15+) juices that I have gotten and some have steeped since June, and others I have tried seconds out of the mailbox... Same results :( Tried them on everything from CE4 clearomizers, up to .2 Ohm RDAs and everything in between. High power, low power, new coil & wick, broken in wick... I'm just lost with these :(

Reactions: LeeLee26

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
That's odd. I'm going to try my hand at some extractions in a couple of weeks. I'm still trying to find a good place to get the tobacco and I need to get a gallon or so of PG. I'm hoping it works for me.

Any local tobacconist should have a good variety of cigars. Just ask them if they blend their own pipe tobacco, and if they would be willing to sell you raw ingredients. I still talk to my tobacconist and I could always ask him. The make some of the best local tobacco blends I have ever tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread