question about Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2008
Mt. Baldy, CA USA
My understanding, and I hope someone even more experienced will come along after me and make this clearer, is as follows:

Long hit warning (after 3-5 seconds of drawing/inhaling): 5 or 6 blinks.

Low/dead battery warning: 12 to 16 blinks immediately upon drawing/inhaling.

Cleaning cycle: a whole mess of blinks following a drag. Unscrew your battery as quick as you can!

As for whether it's better to charge up as soon as performance drops off a bit or better to completely exhaust the battery, I've been wondering that myself. I know some older styles of batteries (not necessarily ecig batteries) had a sort of chemical "memory" where if you charged them too soon their capacity to hold power would decrease. I don't think this is a factor anymore, but I could be wrong. I tend to swap for a fresh one and put the old one on the charger as soon as vapor production drops.

Finally, I've heard that it's good to remove your battery from the charger as soon as possible after the light goes green.

Again, I hope smarter people than myself follow up on this answer.

Last edited:

edisme518123

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2008
Daytona Beach, Florida (USA)
Batteries are funny things. Lithium-ion batteries are supposed to be without that memory problem, but as with all other batteries, it is better to fully discharge before recharging.

The benefits are longer battery life, more consistent power, and a longer time before you need to throw them away.

I'm not sure exactly what goes on inside a battery that would facilitate this, but the evidence suggests that it is beneficial, although not necessary, to fully drain before recharging.

Grumpysanta

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2008
Essex, England
I think the little batteries in e-cig's are so overworked that any attempt at trying to make them last longer is a waste of time. External Power, Troggs ScrewDriver are the only way forward. I think it was Trogg who said that the batteries are never allowed to drop below a certain voltage (either 2.7v or 2.4V if I remember correctly - Trogg will put me right if I'm wrong.) That suggests to me LiPo batteries as they are the only batteries I am aware of that must not be fully discharged, and would also explain why they cost so much.

clarke187

Oct 21, 2008
Va, USA
What is this screwdriver in which you speak? =)

I think the little batteries in e-cig's are so overworked that any attempt at trying to make them last longer is a waste of time. External Power, Troggs ScrewDriver are the only way forward. I think it was Trogg who said that the batteries are never allowed to drop below a certain voltage (either 2.7v or 2.4V if I remember correctly - Trogg will put me right if I'm wrong.) That suggests to me LiPo batteries as they are the only batteries I am aware of that must not be fully discharged, and would also explain why they cost so much.

youfillintheblank

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Aw damn it! I didn't know that when mine did the same thing yesterday!
Shoot, I already demolished the battery to use as a building block for a possible AAA NiCad battery set-up. Anybody try that? NiCad does have a high discharge rate, and I imagine more vapour.......and a really fugly e-cig!

Apparently you can sometimes remedy that by pushing a paperclip through the opening and trying to hit the switch. Either that, or a short, sharp tap on a counter might do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread