Status
Not open for further replies.

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
Ok so I have a question and I hope I am in the correct forum. My question is if you are boosting voltage from a 3.7v batt like in a Provari or the like if you have the voltage set to say 5v does it draw more amps from the battery then say if you were using a true 5v battery? If so is there an equation to find out what it would be.

IE according to this calculator
Ohm's Law Calculator

5V with a 2.5 ohm carto should be drawing 2 amps and making 10 watts. Now does it draw that same 2 ohms regardless of if I was using a boosted 3.7v battery or a true 5v battery

Thanks for any help.

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
Your first question is answered in the Provari FAQ: http://www.provape.com/v/faq.htm
Scroll down to "Why does the ProVari need to use high drain batteries (the full technical answer)?"

In essence, you need to use battery voltage in any calculations to determine the draw on the battery, not coil voltage.

The recommended AW IMR batteries are 3.7V nominal, so use that in calculations, although the battery actually ranges from ~4.2V (off the charger) to ~3.4V. So yes, if you had a 5V battery, less amperage would be drawn than with a boosted 3.7V battery.

The second part of your question regards the other side of the circuitry, the coil. In your example, think of it like this: the device provides 10 watts to the coil. Everything acts as if you had a battery of the voltage you set on the device (except variations caused by PWM, but ignore that for coil-side calculations).

5V2 / 2.5Ω = 10W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread