Question About Kayfun Lite + Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wern314

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2013
Erie, Pennsylvania
I just got Kayfun Lite Plus and after a few coil builds I'm noticing that Im getting hot vapes regardless of voltage settings. I have decent experience on building coils and it is vaping good I'm just unsure whether this is a normal characteristic of Kayfun or am I doing something wrong? I mostly vape between 8-12 watts at around 1.8 ohms give or take. I figure it should be cooler at the lower voltage but it's still a little hot for my vaping enjoyment. I also want to add that I've played around with airflow adjustment as well. Any help on this issue is much appreciated.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I use Kayfun (lite/nano) at 8-11 watts no trouble. I also tend to make 1.6-1.8 ohm coils - that's just how they come out and I have no plan to change really.

Like BigCatDaddy, I often use an ohms calculator just to check stuff. On a VW mod I tend not to worry, but on a mech, yes.

Maybe there is something up with your build?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Just as Mechm0djunky said, coil height over the air hole plays an important role in how a Kayfun vapes. Higher height = a harsher/warmer vape.

Are you making spiral or microcoils? Microcoils are less likely to develop a hot spot or short which could cause harshness or a hot vape.

You didn't mention what wick material you are using. If using cotton, the amount and placement of your cotton is very critical. Too much or too little, or improper placement of the wick "tails" in the chimney can affect the vape. Also, you are using "organic" cotton, right? If not, the cotton can contain either bleach or hydrogen pyroxide and will need to be boiled before using it.

I've been building my KFL+ with a single microcoil @ 1.3 - 1.5 ohm so that I can use it on both my Provari and Silver Bullet mech. Voltage range 3.5 - 4.0 volts.

microcoil2.jpg microcoil3.jpg

Last edited:

dantheman1

Moved On
Jun 29, 2014
cali
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: New Identity of perviously banned member

Despraci

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2014
Palmyra, PA
Just to add what other stated. Height will help control heat. It aslso helps with airflow around the coil and up the chimney. Cotton placement can effect the same. My builds are .7 ohms but I place the coil across so the cotton drapes over the side onto the deck. So I get vert nice loose airflow to balance out the heat. Also make sure you airflow control screw is all the way open or take it out.

Also, some juices in a kayfun will naturally be a hotter harsher vape. Cinnamon fireball is just a bad idea in a kayfun at high watts. A cinnamon bun I keep at low watts as well.

Like Baditude I keep my coils simple In a Kayfun. The more complex the coil, I found it created other issues or while it did what it was suppose to, it changed another characteristic of the vape.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I'm pretty new with a Kayfun...just a couple of weeks. I have the lite with no airflow adjustment. I use a simple 1.8 coil on a 3.7v device.

The thing that I found was with the provided drip tip I got a concentrated "stream" of vapor, which could burn my tongue. Once I switched to a wider bore tip, the airflow and vape was better for me. Just changing the tip...sometimes long, or short, or acrylic, wide, narrow...seems to make a difference in airflow and concentration.

Wern314

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2013
Erie, Pennsylvania
I wanna thank everyone for their feedback. To clarify I've been using 28 ga kanthal microcoils, 10 wraps which comes out to be 1.8 ohms on my Vamo v5. I'm using organic cotton for wicking. After watching a few YouTube vids on Kayfun setup I have my coil lining up with the fluid channel, tails droop over into each channel and I pushed close to the deck. After reading some replies I've noticed that my coil is raised a little high above center airflow so that may have a lot to do with it. I am fairly new to cotton wicking and I'm still working on that happy balance of not to tight but not to loose. I'm going to build a new coil and set it up closer to center airflow and I will let everyone know if I get better results. Thx again.

Wern314

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2013
Erie, Pennsylvania
Ok so after trying a few new coil builds and much tweaking I've come to realize that it wasn't about being a hot vape but rather a thunder throat hit from the juice I'm using. Lol. I've just never had anything compare to the throat hit I'm getting on the Kayfun it kicks my .... Lol. I use V2 Cigs menthol eliquid I've been hooked on it ever since I first started vaping and haven't found any other menthol that tastes like theirs does. I assume it has A high pg ratio, it's a very thin juice and doesn't give off much cloud vapor. I haven't experimented with many other brands like I should be but I've put in some orders for other brands with different pg/vg ratios. Boy does the Kayfun blast you with flavor. I'm using a EHPro Kayfun Lite Plus V2 Duil Airflow Clone to be specific and even though I've removed both airflow screws the draw still seems tighter than I think it should be. I figured it would be super airy with having both screws out but it's not at all. Maybe that's the way it's supposed be for all I know. I'm going to watch more YouTube vids to see how others set it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread