Question About Li-Poly Batts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm new to vaping and mods, but I've always been a DIY person and been lurking this forum for a while. Thanks to some of the great modders here, I feel comfortable starting on my own mods.

Just had a question regarding li-poly batteries, more specifically, which ones are safe to use. I'm seeing the different discharge rates 15c, 25c, etc. How high of a discharge rate can I use? Also, I see they come in 3.7v, 7.4v and 11.1v, with a DNA20 board, can I use any of these or must it be a 3.7v as I've seen other mods use?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Azmo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Liverpool, NY, USA
Hi all,

I'm new to vaping and mods, but I've always been a DIY person and been lurking this forum for a while. Thanks to some of the great modders here, I feel comfortable starting on my own mods.

Just had a question regarding li-poly batteries, more specifically, which ones are safe to use. I'm seeing the different discharge rates 15c, 25c, etc. How high of a discharge rate can I use? Also, I see they come in 3.7v, 7.4v and 11.1v, with a DNA20 board, can I use any of these or must it be a 3.7v as I've seen other mods use?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

You want a 3.7v battery. But you can wire as many 3.7v batteries as you want in parallel and still be at 3.7v. Not to confuse you, but it is possible to turn a 7.4 or 11.1 battery into a 3.7v battery. A 7.4 is just two 3.7's wired in series and an 11.1 is three in series. But to make them 3.7, you would have to rewire the cells.

As for the discharge rate, higher is better, just not necessary. A very low discharge rate is where you will have problems. A 15c is plenty.

inter_ceptor00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Minor Details
I have been pondering using 7.4v round Lipo packs. What I wonder is after you rewire them from series to parallel, what would be the mah rating and C rating? Would it change?

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Directly proportional. For example...if your 7.4V pack (2-3.7V batteries wired in series) is listed as 2000MaH, it contains 2 3.7V 2000MaH batteries. If you take them and wired them in parallel, you would have a 3.7V 4000MaH battery pack. C-rating would remain the same in both sets.

Also C-rating depends A LOT on the battery itself. A cheap LiPo is only rated at 1C. AW brands list themselves as having up to 20C Discharge rates. Also keep in mind that discharging at more than 1C reduces the run-time. A 3.7V 2000Mah battery discharges 3.7V at 1amp for 2 hours. 2amps would drain it in 1 hour, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread