Question about Mini Protank and EVOD Clearomizer oHm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am totally new to vaping. I just ordered my first setup last night which includes a Kanger Mini Protank and an EVOD EGo clearomizer, along with a Vision Spinner 1300 vv and an eGo C Twist VV 900. I was wondering what the ohms are on these items? I googled it even but did not seem to get much of answer. In a different forum topic I was told to get a "variety of different coils for your toppers." This may be a complete n00b question.....but the items do the items I ordered already have coils built into them? I imagine he was just referencing the fact that I can take about the topper and change the coils myself, but I want to make sure lol. I would hate for my setup to get here, only to find out I didn't order everything I need. I bought what I posted above, plus juices of course. I should be good to start?

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
yes you are good to go...you will want to buy some extra heads/coils for your "toppers" the same ones will fit in both. When you start vapeing you will notice less vapor production and/or bad burnt taste after using the same coil for a while. I started replacing them and just tossed the "bad ones" in a small bowl. There will come a time when you will feel comfortable "dry burning" and or recoiling them....dont worry there are many youTubes to guide you when the time comes...and they are inexpensive to replace until you are ready,

Ok thanks! So just to be clear......the battery part should last a while, the longest of everything I got. Next would be the actually tank itself. It should last as long as I keep it clean and keep it from breaking, though normal wear and tear will eventually cause a need for replacement. The heads/coils are what will need to be replaced first, and when they do need replaced I should buy this...Atomizer Head for Kanger Protank, EVOD, Unitank correct?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hello Swerve and welcome! Nice setup! Congratulations.

Since you have variable voltage batteries, the resistance of your coils is not all that important--you can adjust the voltage to get the wattage you like. In case you're not aware of it, your heads come with replaceable coils--those coils are disposable. You can clean them a few times but eventually you'll have to replace them. This is what your heads look like inside--that little thing is the replaceable coil head:

Kanger_EVOD-425x425_0.jpg

At the beginning, I recommend vaping at 6 watts or so of power. Use this convenient calculator to figure out your wattage:

Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Ok thanks! So just to be clear......the battery part should last a while, the longest of everything I got. Next would be the actually tank itself. It should last as long as I keep it clean and keep it from breaking, though normal wear and tear will eventually cause a need for replacement. The heads/coils are what will need to be replaced first, and when they do need replaced I should buy this...Atomizer Head for Kanger Protank, EVOD, Unitank correct?

You got it! :thumb:

Hello Swerve and welcome! Nice setup! Congratulations.

Since you have variable voltage batteries, the resistance of your coils is not all that important--you can adjust the voltage to get the wattage you like. In case you're not aware of it, your heads come with replaceable coils--those coils are disposable. You can clean them a few times but eventually you'll have to replace them. This is what your heads look like inside--that little thing is the replaceable coil head:

Kanger_EVOD-425x425_0.jpg

At the beginning, I recommend vaping at 6 watts or so of power. Use this convenient calculator to figure out your wattage:

Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

Thanks! So I know I will be able to set my voltage, but I need another value in the calculator? Are you familiar with what oHm the Mini Protank and the EVOD run?

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay

Yes that is correct...you have a nice set-up coming and there are plenty of really nice people here who will answer any questions.When I first started , I would vape my tanks almost to the bottom every evening and wash then and the coils in hot tap water and lay them out to dry. This does help your coils last longer, then once a week I would soak them in vodka for about 1/2 hour...this kept my heads in good shape for a LONG time....only when this didnt work any longer would I toss the "old coils" into the bowl for later. Just last week I finally felt comfortable in "dry burning" them...amazingly they all came back to life and it was not hard.....I havent recoiled any yet but that time will come :)

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Hi. Yes you are good to go. Just make sure you order extra heads. A lot of places sell them in a package of 5. If they have that option sometimes they are cheaper that way. The one you linked to has an option of 1.8 ohm or 2.4 ohm heads. Get a couple of each. The lower ohms 1.8 will heat up quicker and you will set your volts on your battery lower. The higher 2.4 ohms you will set volts a bit higher. Always start low volts and turn it up for the best taste, if it starts to taste burnt, turn it down-it is too high. You will figure it out pretty quick.

You have a good first setup there. Welcome to ECF and enjoy.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thanks! So I know I will be able to set my voltage, but I need another value in the calculator? Are you familiar with what oHm the Mini Protank and the EVOD run?

Wattage (heat, power) = Voltage (of your battery) squared divided by Resistance (of your atomizer).

Coils for ProTanks come in several resistances: 1.8Ω, 2.2Ω and 2.5Ω. I don't know what's included with your tanks--the vendor's site should give you that information. Do have a link to the site?

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
Evods typically come with one coil head (click for image) already inside. I'm not sure what resistance, probably 1.8 or 2.2 ohms. (Look at the picture again: the resistance level will be engraved on the head in tiny numbers.) It can be easily replaced when it's finished. You will need to buy replacements.

Mini Protanks, if they come boxed, will come with two coil heads in different resistance levels (1.8 and 2.5, I think). Just like the Evod, the coil heads are easily replaced when they're no longer good. The Evod and Mini Protank use the same coil heads, so whatever replacements you get will work in both tanks.

You can buy replacement heads individually or in packs from places such as Discount Vapers. They will be available in a variety of resistance levels (1.5-2.5). You might choose your preference based on your experiences with the ones you originally get.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Hmm... I can't find any information about the coil that comes with their eVods, not even here:

Kanger EVOD eGO Bottom Coil Clearomizer

So let's assume it comes with the 1.8Ω coil; to get to 6 watts, use 3.2 or 3.4 volts, just to be safe. Adjust your voltage up or down to your liking.

For the 2.Ω coil--use 3.6 or 3.8volts to get to 6 watts.

And for the 2.5Ω coil--3.8-4.0 volts.

Follow MadQatter's advice and check the ohms rating on the coil itself--it should be there.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I just found out today that I actually DO have a vape shop in my area. I need to go check them out! I ordered 5 15ml juice bottles to start, and will be buying more heads/coils/carto tanks in about 9 days.

You're a brave man. I always start with 3 or 5ml bottles. :facepalm:

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
So let's assume it comes with the 1.8Ω coil; to get to 6 watts, use 3.2 or 3.4 volts, just to be safe. Adjust your voltage up or down to your liking.

For the 2.Ω coil--use 3.6 or 3.8volts to get to 6 watts.

And for the 2.5Ω coil--3.8-4.0 volts.
YMMV, though. Depends on juice and personal tastes. I often vape at around 5 watts with Kanger clearos. :)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
YMMV, though. Depends on juice and personal tastes. I often vape at around 5 watts with Kanger clearos. :)

Absolutely. I just happen to like 6 watts, but we are all different. Also, I like lower wattages for delicate flavors, like fruit; tobaccos and coffees, OTOH, take more heat.

OP, start low and tweak voltage up or down until you like the taste and vapor production!

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
LOL I ended up with more than a few 15ML bottles of juice that were "PIF'ed" to other newer vapers in the beginning....hopefully he finds at least 2 of the 5 he ordered to his liking.....learn to like companies that offer small samplers SwerveCity its easier to give away those that you dont like....and yes see if that local shop has samples for you to try...and try everything. In the beginning I thought I wanted tobacco flavors...after 3 days I found I was wrong...try some fruits...some mints...some coffees and teas...some candies and deserts...you will be amazed at what you find you like:vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread