Question about nicotine content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geofresh

ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2009
About ready to order my Volt. Very excited as I have always wanted a simple, hassle free pv that would work for me. I wanted to know though...what nicotine content would be the best for me based on this:

- I smoked just under a pack a day of marlboro mild's for the last 5 years.
- The throat hit provided by said brand was perfect for me.

I am ready to order and just want to make sure I get something that is going to hit that sweet spot for me.

Imagine

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2011
OHIO USA
www.SmokelessImage.com
ok I am sure some others will chime in ... I always recommend 18mg to those who smoke more then half a pack a day and less then 2 packs... it's a good place to start :)

Well, I took your word for it and placed my order! Got a 5 pack of RY4 (My favorite juice) and a smooth/strong sampler. Can't wait!

kia2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2012
USA
I had never tried 555 before, and found that I really liked it when I got the sampler. So, I stocked up. I'm using 12 and 6mg for the most part, however I did just order a pack of 18mg for the days now and again that could drive a person to smoke. I had one of those recently, and my team thought that would be the day I went back to cigs. Fooled them, though. I made it through (after hotboxing two 6mg cartridges to death in a vapor rant).

kia2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2012
USA
Oh, and I used to smoke about a pack a day. I went with 12mg, worked ok for me. However, I found out that I like certain sweet flavors so much that I had to get them in 6mg - or preferably 0mg - so I can marathon vape them without worry for overdoing the nicotine. I have one that I just can't seem to put down, lol. I'm reserving the 18mg for those other days.

SI Watermelon is pretty good, btw. Yum!

Imagine

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2011
OHIO USA
www.SmokelessImage.com
12mg and lower is a good option as well... especially if you find yourself vaping more then you smoked :)

I just find 18mg is the best for first starting out to help with the transition...

But whatever works :)

Oh, and I used to smoke about a pack a day. I went with 12mg, worked ok for me. However, I found out that I like certain sweet flavors so much that I had to get them in 6mg - or preferably 0mg - so I can marathon vape them without worry for overdoing the nicotine. I have one that I just can't seem to put down, lol. I'm reserving the 18mg for those other days.

SI Watermelon is pretty good, btw. Yum!

Denin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2010
Winston-Salem, NC
I started at 12mg, upped to 18mg, and bounce between 18mg and 24mg, depending on how cravings are. Really tough cravings (just waking up, after a meal) I do 24mg, though recently I haven't had to do this much. Otherwise I stay around 18mg as I tend to chain vape all day.

For reference, I was a 1 to 1 1/2 PAD Camel Wide smoker.

YMMV

Last edited:

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Here's a little math formula (sorry) that I picked up from another forum:

Look up the nic content of your analogs here: Erowid
Multiply that by 20 - 25% (amount which is actually absorbed per cig).
Multiply that by 20 (number of cigs per pack)
Multiply that by 2 or 3 (for the metabolism difference and the lack of 4000 additional chemicals).

So, for Marlboro Milds Kings (not listed, but I'm guessing Mediums):
0.9 X .20 = 0.18 X 20 = 3.6 x 2 = 7.2
0.9 X .25 = 0.225 X 20 = 4.5 x 2 = 9
0.9 X .20 = 0.18 X 20 = 3.6 x 3 = 10.8
0.9 X .25 = 0.225 X 20 = 4.5 x 3 = 13.5

So, somewhere between 7.2 and 13.5 mg nic.

With some people, 12 will suffice to quit analogs. For others, higher might be better. But doing the math first might be a good place to start...:)

Like Imagine said, I would try starting with 18, and if that makes you jittery, then drop it down to 12. Or try alternating between the two as needed.

Last edited:

kia2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2012
USA
TK, I'll bet you could go to 18 now without a problem. 12 would be harder, but I'll bet you could do 12 without much worry, either. Me, I'm trying to start getting down to 6mg and 0mg with all my flavors, instead of just the sweet ones. I have to keep one packet of carts one step above my most used mg, for those once in a while days that could drive a person to smoke, so I can have a vape rant and then get back to normal instead of going out and getting a pack of tobacco cigs.

ThreadKiller

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
AGFFA
TK, I'll bet you could go to 18 now without a problem. 12 would be harder, but I'll bet you could do 12 without much worry, either. Me, I'm trying to start getting down to 6mg and 0mg with all my flavors, instead of just the sweet ones. I have to keep one packet of carts one step above my most used mg, for those once in a while days that could drive a person to smoke, so I can have a vape rant and then get back to normal instead of going out and getting a pack of tobacco cigs.

I probably could, but I'll wait until my vaping habit completely replaces my smoking habit. In other words, no more whole-day cravings for cigs. then I'll start buying 18s here and there and see how it goes.

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I did it by stepping down more gradually. I went from 12 to 8-9, then 6, and sometimes 4. I stepped down from 12, because when I eventually started vaping like a maniac, it was making me jittery. Going from 12, I consciously forced myself to weather through the withdrawals (which never really lasted that long - they were short, passed quickly, and I only went through it for a few weeks), and eventually 8-9 made me jittery. Now I'm happy and comfortable at 4-6. I've gone for long periods without vaping too (4+ hours) without getting cranky or agitated like I used to when I smoked. But lucky for me, I don't like cigarettes anymore (ick, nasty), so going out to get a pack isn't an option for me. But hang in there. It happens.

Imagine

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2011
OHIO USA
www.SmokelessImage.com
I can go much longer periods without having nic fits myself now that I vape :)
I did it by stepping down more gradually. I went from 12 to 8-9, then 6, and sometimes 4. I stepped down from 12, because when I eventually started vaping like a maniac, it was making me jittery. Going from 12, I consciously forced myself to weather through the withdrawals (which never really lasted that long - they were short, passed quickly, and I only went through it for a few weeks), and eventually 8-9 made me jittery. Now I'm happy and comfortable at 4-6. I've gone for long periods without vaping too (4+ hours) without getting cranky or agitated like I used to when I smoked. But lucky for me, I don't like cigarettes anymore (ick, nasty), so going out to get a pack isn't an option for me. But hang in there. It happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread