• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Question about Nicotine in E-Liquid. Dosage and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianMetalHead

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2011
Mirabel, QC, CANADA
www.youtube.com
Hi everyone. One thing that has always confused me, is the amount of Nicotine per ml and How much do we intake per drag from a PV.

Is 20mg per ml really that strong? What type of cigarette can this be compared too?
How much Nicotine do you really inhale per drag compared to a regular strength analog?

What is the strongest amount of Nic/ml that someone should buy If they we're a pack a day smoker?

One last question. It is possible for e-liquid too lose its flavour or Nicotine strength with time? Has anyone noticed that your e-liquid almost tastes like nothing after a while? or your taste buds are freaking out or something?

Jebus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2011
NSW, Australia
For question 1, 2 & 3, It depends on voltage, and resistance and tends to be an unknown. Though it does take a higher mg level to match an analog.

For question 4, that depends what strength analogs you are switching from. I suggest if you smoke regular strength you start with 18 mg then find your spot ( depending on where I get my juice/nic liquid from I range between 14-20mg for preference)

Question 5, depends on flavours used, some may fade, some taste better or more defined once they steep for 1 week to a couple months, others it makes no difference. For nic strength, if stored properly (in glass bottle, dark, cool place) nic should not start to degrade significantly till about the 2 year mark.

Hope this helps :2cool:

Last edited:

BCman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2011
Vancouver, BC
As for losing flavor ive read this (Dekang)

Extractive
Advantage: The flavor last long
Disadvantage: Looks not so clear,and the flavor is not so distinct.

Essence
Advantage: Looks clear,and the flavor is distinct.
Disadvantage: The flavor don't last too long,and the flavor become tasteless day by day

source = http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/madvapes/201084-dekang-conversation-about-e-liquid.html

Nicotine absorption and dosage is tricky as everyone is different and we dont know enough yet.
My guess is yes, for a typical p.a.d. smoker, 18-24mg is going to be the average for the majority, with exceptions as some need 30-36mg and some need less like 12-18mg.

Absorption rate is definitely lower/slower then a analog thats for sure as im yet to get a buzz like that smoke first thing in the morning, even after chain vaping or hours straight, maybe some 30-36mg would do it but i havent tried.

rachelcoffe

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2010
Toronto
A tobacco cig contains about 10 mg of nicotine Paul, but on average only 1 mg or so of that gets to the smoker, per cig. Most of the nicotine is either burnt up or carried off in the smoke from the end. Smoke is also quite acidic, which further affects nic absorption. So anyway - a mL of 20mg juice is the nicotine equivalent of a pack of cigs.

Nic intake for vapers varies widely (different nic levels, different lengths & depths of inhalation, etc) - but generally, many vapers take in more nicotine now than they did as smokers. Remember, smokers are also inhaling thousands of toxins & carcinogens, along with tar & smoke & all that crap, along with their nic. When a smoker's body says enough, it's more a case of "please stop poisoning me with all this other stuff, take a break already" rather than the body saying "I've had enough nic."

Because vaping is a clean, infinitely safer delivery system that doesn't deliver all that junk that smoking did...a vaper's body can handle & enjoy more nic than before, taking longer before it sends up the "take-a-break, we're-satisfied-for-now" flag. At the levels we're vaping, nic itself is no more harmful than common caffeine intake. So this isn't a surprise.

---

WHAT NIC LEVEL IS RIGHT FOR YOU?

Yoiu already know that the nic levels people find satisfaction from vaping varies. Some are happy with none. Some are content with low to low-ish levels. Many prefer something in the mid range, like 16 to 18 mg. Some regularly notch it up to 24 mg. A relatively rare few (who have an unusually high tolerance) will take it as high as 36 mg. I've never heard of anyone vaping it higher than that. This should illustrate the range you're working within.

But remember - it's not like vapers are swallowing a pill and bam, they have 20 mg of nic in them all of a sudden. Doesn't work that way at all. We're vaping a puff here, a puff there. It takes many drags over the course of hours, to go through a filled Boge carto for example (which holds about 1 mL of e-juice). So here's a rough & quick example: if you went through 1 mL of 20 mg juice, over the course of say 40 drags...that would be 0.5mg of nic per drag.

You'd probably get more than 40 drags too, from 1 mL of juice.

The point is, it's obviously not a sudden jump from 0 mg to 20 mg. Nicotine has a half-life of about 2 hours. As soon as you take some in...your body's metabolism begins to break it down. So vaping is a gradual intake, while your body continuously processes & eliminates it at the same time. You are getting all* the nic - but gradually & spread out, a bit at a time.

* (98% on average. Your body absorbs nicotine very quickly & efficiently.)

So to finally answer your question, haha - the nic level that gives you vaping satisfaction is the right level for you. It's all about finding out what you can enjoy as an all-day vape, while getting good throat hit etc & satisfaction...without overdoing it. Mild headache or queasiness are two signs that your nic level is probably a bit too high.

For me, 20 mg is indeed strong!

---

OLD LIQUID

To answer your final question about e-juice, yes: e-juice does not age well. Old e-juice / e-liquid will not be as tasty or as flavourful as the fresh stuff. The nicotine will actually come to the fore & overpower the flavouring.

Also, the nicotine will break down & degrade (i.e. go bye bye) over time, due to oxidation. Air, heat & light will all contribute to this process. It's impossible to avoid any oxidation at all...but that's why you should store it properly to minimize that, and opt for fresher liquids more frequently.

Oxidation is also what causes the liquid to go from clear, to light yellow...to darker & darker until eventually it can reach a deep rusty hue. This is yet another reason that I strongly prefer DIY. I like being able to know that the PG w/nic I used for a juice is fresh & relatively clear...and not some oxidized old crap. And it's another reason why I don't recommend buying huge stockpiles of e-liquid. PG itself will also break down over time, when exposed to air, heat or light.

---

Anyway, hope that helped! Yes, I know I write long posts...but there's a lot to be shared, lol. Happy vaping hon & all the best.

FVxh8.gif

PeCrr.gif

Last edited:

Eileithia

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2011
Cambridge, ON, CANADA
Edit: Looks like Rach beat me to it :) but I'm leaving in my ramblings below..

From a few other posts I've read here's the basic breakdown in strenghts:

24mg = Full Flavour Cigarettes (DuMorier Regular / Export A Green etc)
18mg = Light Cigarettes
11mg = Extra Light Cigarettes
0mg = well.. if you can't figure this one out...

Here's the really basic math behind it. Assuming you were a pack a day smoker you were consuming roughly 25mg of nicotine in a day. If you're vaping 1ml a day you're about on par with 24mg liquid. Now it's been stated that the body doesn't absorb as much nicotine from vaping as it does from smoking, and this is pretty obvious to me considering I've gone days where I've vaped 2-3ml of 24mg in a day and don't have the ill feeling I'd get if I smoked 2-3 packs of cigarettes in a day.

Also, there have been studies done on the "Myth of the Light Cigarette". They show that even if you were smoking "light" cigarettes, you really werent smoking light cigarettes as you unconcously cover the vent holes in the filter (Which are supposed to draw more air that smoke) with your mouth. So even people who smoked extra-light or ultra-light were in fact probably consuming about the same amounts of nicotine as someone who smoked regulars.

Honestly, if you are just starting out, and trying to get off analogs, I'd start at 24mg regardless of what you actually smoked in real life. Buy sample packs, with varying strengths and find your happy spot. If 24mg is giving you a headache after an hour or so of vaping you need to cut it down.. if you're getting that anxiety feeling and you've been chain vaping like a fiend and it's still not doing it for you, then you should probably up your nicotine level, then taper it back gradually.

Danesnpits

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Aberdeen, Saskatchewan
Hi everyone. One thing that has always confused me, is the amount of Nicotine per ml and How much do we intake per drag from a PV.

Is 20mg per ml really that strong? What type of cigarette can this be compared too?
How much Nicotine do you really inhale per drag compared to a regular strength analog?

What is the strongest amount of Nic/ml that someone should buy If they we're a pack a day smoker?

One last question. It is possible for E-Liquid too lose its flavour or Nicotine strength with time? Has anyone noticed that your E-Liquid almost tastes like nothing after a while? or your taste buds are freaking out or something?
I prefer the 36mg per ml. I find that I really have to change up my juices so I don't get bored..but I will always be a huge tobacco vaper. I love my tobaccos. I love them with apple, maple syrup, peach, caramel, blueberry, grape, heck I love them all..any tobacco! I also find that I am loving sweetness of any kind. My faves are Timmy's icecap from Juicy clear and also wurthers from Maple leaf vapes.

heXy

ECF Veteran
  • Feb 11, 2011
    Brampton
    Hi all! This has been a super helpful thread.

Question: I followed these instructions and ordered 18mL and 12mL seems better for me. Is there something I can buy locally (in a brick and mortar store) to cut down the 18 to closer to a 12?

Glycerin USP at your local drug store. I find it's usually in the aisle with rubbing alcohol. It's origin is most commonly vegetable and so long as it's labelled USP, it's safe for this application.

It's cheap and your liquid might already have a bit in it. Not sure on the actual math to cut your bottle sizes with, just add a ml at a time (generally 20 drops from a drip bottle), shake, try, add more if needed.

NOTE: you will also cut some flavour by doing this, just an FYI.

:)

Last edited:

heXy

ECF Veteran
  • Feb 11, 2011
    Brampton
    Awesome!

Can I do it right in the cart do you think? Like drip 5 of the 18mg and 2 VG or something like that? Just for the time being in a pinch?

From what I've learned with trying that method, is that unless the liquids are blended prior, you will hit a dead spot in some cases. You're at the mercy of whichever liquid is around the coil at the time of vaporization. I tried that method with two flavours I wanted to try together, it didn't end up very successful in my experience. Sometimes it tasted blended and other times it seemed to be one or the other. With straight VG being as thick as it is when un-mixed; you're better off premixing it as it won't wick as well.

I would just add to the bottle slowely until you've cut it; keep track of how many ml's you've added so you can cut any other liquids in a similar manner.

If you have a 10ml bottle of 18mg and want 12; that's 18-12 = 6, 6x3 = 18; therefor 1/3rd the mixture is to be added. So for 10ml, try adding in 3ml of VG.

Last edited:

randyith

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 5, 2011
    North Carolina, USA
    One last question. It is possible for E-Liquid too lose its flavour or Nicotine strength with time? Has anyone noticed that your E-Liquid almost tastes like nothing after a while? or your taste buds are freaking out or something?

Well it should not lose its flavor if you have in a tight bottle; however, the flavor can change over time. Some suppliers mix their juice the day you order it and it will change to what it is suppose to taste like in a few days up to 2 weeks. Liquid nicotine starts to decompose when mixed with PG or VG and the bottle should be thrown out after one year. As you reach the 6 month mark and close to the 1 year mark the liquid nicotine will develop its own foul smell which of course changes the flavor of your juice. Hope this helps.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread