Question about safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    On second thoughts @wizdumb1, Samsung 20S would probably be the best fit then as a cell choice.

As at the moment your stressing those cells you're using at the moment then, and thanks for confirming what I was trying to remember.

As a series mod is much cheaper and easier for a manufacturer to make over a parallel one, but this information is never disclosed by manufacturer on their product pages in their specifications.

So resistance is still extremely important with regulated mods, as the circuitry isn't designed to monitor if the batteries aren't being stressed.

So saying that resistance is unimportant with regulated mods, especially with low ohm builds and using cells with the wrong ratings is extremely dangerous.

So it's possible to use Panasonic NCR18650B cells with a CDR of 4.9 Amps in a regulated mod with a resistance of 0.12 ohms, but this would be an extremely risky proposition in a series mod like the Drag 2.

Coil resistance has essentially no effect on the battery current in a regulated mod. Only the power setting affects how much current is drawn from the batteries.

Think of it this way...
    If you had a 1 ohm coil at 1000W and a 0.1 ohm coil at 0.1W, which would draw more current?

The wattage levels are not realistic for vaping but are used to make it easier to see that it’s the wattage setting that matters, not the coil resistance.

gsmit1

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 19, 2018
    In a regulated mod though it doesn’t matter if the batteries are wired in series or in parallel, the current drawn from each street is the same.
    Right. I was just saying that the reality is that most of them are wired in series and reporting the difference between the two :)

gsmit1

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 19, 2018
    ...it’s the wattage setting that matters, not the coil resistance.
    In contrast to an UNregulated device where the coil resistance and the voltage available in the batteries directly determines the wattage and therefore why the amp limit behind that is so important.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    @Mooch, that would be the 1 ohm coil in that hypothesis.

And I am well aware that the board in a regulated mod is used to control the power delivered, but it is not used to monitor the CDR of the cells. So in theory it is possible to seriously stress incorrectly chosen cells.

It will only cutoff the power if it trips the limit of the board.

Also most mods have the cells in series and not parallel, which doubles the voltage but the CDR in the calculations used is that of a single cell.

Or at least that's my understanding.

Reactions: stols001

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    OK... I understand electronic theory but have no practical experience with high power power vaping, so here's my advice:
    Your biggest issue (besides safety) is the mass of the coils (many people fall into this situation)... slow to heat up/slow to cool down (it's that second thing that will get you in trouble) You will have to make sure to have enough airflow which means massive cloud chasing (unless that's really what you want) and no "chain vaping" (pause between vapes so the coil can cool off) Maybe just try some different wire... just my 2-cents.

Reactions: gsmit1

gsmit1

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 19, 2018
    For now I just removed 1 of the coils which will work for now and removes how long it takes to warm up. I'll continue to read up. So would I be right to say regardless of what coil is in there, It's resistance and so on. It doesn't matter?
    In a way. It's all about the limits of the batteries?
    You'll get there friend :) Everybody goes through learning this at first.

You might want to try a simple build first to get started. You say you have some 26ga 316L there. Just wrap 2 coils on a 3mm id rod for 6 wraps. That'll get you to about .24 ohms.

Once you get it wicked and primed, start at about 40 watts and work your way up in 5 watt increments until you like the vape. Don't be surprised if it's lower than you think. I'm betting between 60 and 70 watts.

That should ramp up fine and give you a perfectly decent vape while you learn more. Your batteries may not be absolutely ideal, but they won't blow up and you can learn some more for the time being while having a good setup to get by on.

Just a suggestion

Last edited:

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    For now I just removed 1 of the coils which will work for now and removes how long it takes to warm up. I'll continue to read up. So would I be right to say regardless of what coil is in there, It's resistance and so on. It doesn't matter?
    In a way. It's all about the limits of the batteries?

Yep. The wattage you use is what matters with regard to how much you draw on your batteries, in a regulated mod. From your OP:
    Using 2 x Samsung 30q batteries with a 15amp CDR, you are safe up to 90watts.
    Using 2 x LG HG2 batteries with a 20amp CDR, you are safe up to 120watts

I found these:
    Handcrafted Wire Sticks
    They are tri-core 3*28/36 ni80 alien wrapped wire.

Clapton Wire by Lightning Vapes aka Wire Optim
    Quad-core 4*30/40 ni90 fused clapton wire. Ni90 has a slightly lower resistance than ni80.

or this site in Germany:
    Fused Clapton Wire
    3*28/40 ni80 tri-core fused clapton

Last edited:
    Reactions: stols001

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    @Mooch, that would be the 1 ohm coil in that hypothesis.

And I am well aware that the board in a regulated mod is used to control the power delivered, but it is not used to monitor the CDR of the cells. So in theory it is possible to seriously stress incorrectly chosen cells.

It will only cutoff the power if it trips the limit of the board.

Also most mods have the cells in series and not parallel, which doubles the voltage but the CDR in the calculations used is that of a single cell.

Or at least that's my understanding.

In a regulated device it does not matter if they are in series or parallel, the amount of current drawn from each battery is the same if the power setting is the same. There’s no need to consider the doubling-the-voltage or doubling-the-CDR stuff.

The only thing needed is the power per cell (easily calculated) and divide that by 3 to calculate the current drawn from each cell. This is done the same for series or parallel and any number of batteries.

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    The place to get the P26A in Canada is Molicel P26A 18650 2600mAh 35A (Flat Top High Drain Battery) "Editor's Choice"

EDIT: They also sell nice handmade coils... you can add an additional half wrap on either side of each coil to make it 6 wraps if necessary:
    Coilology Handmade Sandvik NI80 coils 4pcs/Container
    Coilology-Sandvik-Ni80-Coils-4pcs-with-Shoelace-Cotton_006308212af0.jpg

Last edited:
    • Useful
    Reactions: Izan
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread