ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I've recently been trying this awesome stuff:
    9653077-1.jpg

Previously I've only ever wrapped ss316L single wire 28ga or the odd 26ga coils. I have a Coil master v4 coiling kit. But to wrap my coils, I just use the jig and the 2.5mm id rod and hand wrap them like this:

7614800-6.jpg

However, I've noticed that wrapping even thin clapton wire like this, is not as easy as 28ga single wire ;)

I often get twists in the wire, which drive my ocd nuts. What are the easiest and best techniques to wrap a clapton coil? Should I use the
    small black rods in the pic below and wrap the coil with them?

7614800-4.jpg

Please share what works for you :thumb:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Not sure I understand the twist you speak of. A picture would be helpful. But if you are referring to that twist in your first picture, where the wire lead is within the jig’s channel - if you are willing to sacrifice a little extra wire, wind an extra wrap and then remove it by pulling it out with a pair of pliers.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2011
    Knoxville, TN USA
    I use a couple sets of surgical forceps to hold both ends of clapton tight and orient the stationary forcep with wire against the mandrel (rod). The first wrap is the most difficult to wrap tight, but pulling opposite directions with the forceps to "choke" the mandrel after the first wrap gets the shape/size set. Then, it's just a matter of finishing the coil. I've never used the coil master jig. Generally, with my preferred method, a jewellers screwdriver is implemented as the mandrel. My Wotofo Profile came with a nice 3.5mm mandrel I like to use, also. Good luck! Practice makes perfect, as they say!

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Not sure I understand the twist you speak of. A picture would be helpful. But if you are referring to that twist in your first picture, where the wire lead is within the jig’s channel - if you are willing to sacrifice a little extra wire, wind an extra wrap and then remove it by pulling it out with a pair of pliers.

It's more that I do 2 or 3 wraps just fine, but then either the 4th or 5th wrap ends up with the wire being twisted a bit in the wrap.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    It's more that I do 2 or 3 wraps just fine, but then either the 4th or 5th wrap ends up with the wire being twisted a bit in the wrap.

I see what you're saying…I think

Instead of wrapping the wire around the jig with your hand, try holding your trailing lead with a pair of pliers, then twist the jig like a screw driver. Just have to ensure the leading wire (one in the channel of the jig) is firmly secure. You can also apply a bit of force (resistance holding it back) so that you end up with a tighter wound coil

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    I leave the wire on the spool, fix the leading end so that it does not move on the jig then twist the jig like a screw driver while keeping tension at the spool. I always wrap one extra so I can remove it, thus removing any kinks that the jig may have left.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I leave the wire on the spool, fix the leading end so that it does not move on the jig then twist the jig like a screw driver while keeping tension at the spool. I always wrap one extra so I can remove it, thus removing any kinks that the jig may have left.

Oooh I like that idea. I always trap the leading edge with my thumb - but leaving it on the spool may give me better tension than pliers - thank you :thumb:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Oooh I like that idea. I always trap the leading edge with my thumb - but leaving it on the spool may give me better tension than pliers - thank you :thumb:

To give credit where credit is due, this method was inspired by @MacTechVpr tension coils.

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    To give credit where credit is due, this method was inspired by @MacTechVpr tension coils.
    I'm not sure if it was Mac or SuperX, but this is how I've been wrapping for years. I think the old quote was Turn the tool, not the wire. I still have my Beadalon Spool tamers (you might like these, with a hole to feed your wire through) and the other Beadalon tool (Michaels) to wrap coils. IIRC Mac likes his Pin Vise.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    I'm not sure if it was Mac or SuperX, but this is how I've been wrapping for years. I think the old quote was Turn the tool, not the wire. I still have my Beadalon Spool tamers (you might like these, with a hole to feed your wire through) and the other Beadalon tool (Michaels) to wrap coils. IIRC Mac likes his Pin Vise.

Thx. I have seen the Beadalon Spool tamers – I use the ghetto version….Velcro strap with a hole punched through.

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I cut my wire off the spool and use a jig. In my experience, Clapton isn’t as weird and springy as round wire. I don’t have to use pliers to keep enough tension. I just bend it over the jig and wind with the cap. I’ll try to get pictures for you tomorrow if you want.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    I've recently been trying this awesome stuff:
    9653077-1.jpg

Previously I've only ever wrapped ss316L single wire 28ga or the odd 26ga coils. I have a Coil master v4 coiling kit. But to wrap my coils, I just use the jig and the 2.5mm id rod and hand wrap them like this:

7614800-6.jpg

However, I've noticed that wrapping even thin clapton wire like this, is not as easy as 28ga single wire ;)

I often get twists in the wire, which drive my ocd nuts. What are the easiest and best techniques to wrap a clapton coil? Should I use the
    small black rods in the pic below and wrap the coil with them?

7614800-4.jpg

Please share what works for you :thumb:
    I have some AVS 32gx3/40g ss316L twisted fused clapton wire which is close to what you're using. I also have the coil master and if I'm making, using your example, a 2.5mm ID coil I just run the wire through the CM hole and then wind however many wraps I'm after on the rod with the 2.5mm cap. Works great every time.

I don't hand wind wire with the CM. Also, I will go two extra wraps. That way when I spread the wire for TC (on the rod) I get the exact spacing I want. Use the cap to push the wire together and it will leave a very nicely spaced coil. Pull off the 2 extra wraps and I'm set.

Here on the Creek RDA, using a 26g/36g ss316L 3mm ID regular clapton wire.
    I used the CM the same as described.
    IMG_0983sm.jpg

Vapes great!!! Awesome in fact on one of my Luna squonker's. ;)

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Thx. I have seen the Beadalon Spool tamers – I use the ghetto version….Velcro strap with a hole punched through.
    Chanelvaps, here, made some spool tamers for me on her sewing machine as a test run. They're elastic with the perfect tension and work great. She did an awesome job and with a handle for positioning. Very creative lady with a sewing machine.
    IMG_1110 copyCR1.jpg

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    I have some AVS 32gx3/40g ss316L twisted fused clapton wire which is close to what you're using. I also have the coil master and if I'm making, using your example, a 2.5mm ID coil I just run the wire through the CM hole and then wind however many wraps I'm after on the rod with the 2.5mm cap. Works great every time.

I don't hand wind wire with the CM. Also, I will go two extra wraps. That way when I spread the wire for TC (on the rod) I get the exact spacing I want. Use the cap to push the wire together and it will leave a very nicely spaced coil. Pull off the 2 extra wraps and I'm set.

View attachment 832635
    Vapes great!!! Awesome in fact one of my Luna squonker's. ;)

Nice set. G'luck. :)

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

View attachment 832635
    Vapes great!!! Awesome in fact on one of my Luna squonker's. ;)

Got plenty of ideas to play with now. And I love the tip for spacing a tc build - thank you :thumb:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    As a 47 year guitar player I gotta get some of that wire! Does it screech when you run your fingers over it? Can you tune it to A440? :)
    Many vapers love their claptons.
    And guitar players should have some Clapton in their collection. I do.
    Best when strung on an electric, a Strat or Tele, and awesome with a pick scrape.
    A440, naturally.

Seriously it is excellent wire and ups the flavor. Try some...

Claptons are named after EC as @smacuser referenced. Smac, Layla...perfect.
    How about 5LY's...or Wonderful Tonight vsn from 24 Nights? Check it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread