Question about stainless steel refinishing (Love to hear anyones take)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greatov

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Hey guys quick question,

So I am getting a new mod that comes in 316 polished stainless steal (looks like chrome)

Although it looks nice, I'm not huge on the mirrored finish (fingerprints, too shiny, etc)

Does anyone have any advice on how or where I can get it refinished? I know you can't really get SS anodized, but I would love to know any options I have to get it's color altered or at the very least have it changed to more of a satin/brushed steel finish (gun metal would be ideal). I already have a few chrome mods so I want to change it up but I don't want to do anything stupid that will ruin it.

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas/ Happy Holidays!! :)

Greatov

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Cool thanks for all the help guys!

If I was to just sand it, is there anything else I should do besides lightly sand it with 800-1000 grit sand paper?

If I was to "blue it", I don't personally have the know how or equipment to do it myself, what kind of person should I look for to do this? Would I look up a metal shop or possibly an auto detailer?

If you want a satin finish then it will need to be bead blasted. You can also use 800-1000 grit sand paper and give it a brushed look. To give it color you could use high heat and blue it.

TheSneakerHoarder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2012
DFW
Use 600 grit.

Put mod into the 600 grit and spin with one hand, while keeping pressure with the sandpaper hand. Just did this to my GGTS and ODY and it looks and feels great! Takes all of 4 minutes. Just make sure you are giving steady pressure, and keep your turning of the body even and consistant for an even satin.

YoureFired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
The Berserkshires, MA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread