Question about the Sigelei Zmax V5 and Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekidzac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
Daytona Beach, FL, USA
okay if this is in the wrong section, sorry, please advise and in the future i will conform to procedure.

I just ordered the Sigelei Zmax V5 from VaporWorld.biz, as well as this 18650 Panasonic Replacement Battery from the same site. (Luckily I have a nice B&M store nearby so if I messed up on the battery I can go there for a quick fix)

First advance device so I am very excited (I think I've posted various things about it three different threads now, lol).

Here is the question: first and foremost, will this batter work and is it for this device. I have done my research but there is some need in me for some reassurance since I am such a newbie. Secondly, it says "Panasonic Replacement Batter". I have to somewhat assume it may not be an actual Panasonic brand? (It also doesn't look like other pictures) Or may it be an actual Panasonic with custom jacket or something.

Next about the device: does the Zmax V5 accept both flat top and nipple top batteries? If yes, which is better. Unprotected or protected. Am I right in my understanding that because it is a regulated device that the unprotected would be the way to go? Why exactly?

lol, okay now i sound like a curious child, but indeed I am much similar to just that. Thanks so much in advance, love this forum because I can always count on great info/advice. Also... just over a month since my last smoke... STOKED!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
This is a double post where you asked the same questions in the APV Forum. I've already attempted to answer your question there.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...question-about-sigelei-zmax-v5-batteries.html

I don't own a ZMax, but unless the manufacturer states differently, it should accept either flat or button-top batteries.

IMR or hybrid batteries are "high drain" batteries. WHY HIGH DRAIN BATTERIES. They are often called "unprotected" batteries, too, because their safer chemistry does not require IC protected circuits built into them like ICR chemistry batteries do.

The Panasonic 3100 mAh and 3400 mAh batteries are not high drain batteries. They "may work" in your ZMax, but they are not the best batteries for a regulated mod like a ZMax, which uses pulsed currents to make higher voltage. These batteries are better suited for mechanical mods using factory-built juice attachments like clearomizers and cartomizers.

If you are only going to be using standard or higher resistance coils with your ZMax at lower voltages (3.4 - 4.5 volts), the batteries in question will be adequate for your uses.

BATTERY BASICS FOR MODS: IMR OR PROTECTED ICR?

DEEPER UNDERSTANDING OF MOD BATTERIES

Last edited:

thekidzac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
Daytona Beach, FL, USA
This is a double post where you asked the same questions in the APV Forum. I've already attempted to answer your question there.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...question-about-sigelei-zmax-v5-batteries.html

I don't own a ZMax, but unless the manufacturer states differently, it should accept either flat or button-top batteries.

IMR or hybrid batteries are "high drain" batteries. WHY HIGH DRAIN BATTERIES. They are often called "unprotected" batteries, too, because their safer chemistry does not require IC protected circuits built into them like ICR chemistry batteries do.

The Panasonic 3100 mAh and 3400 mAh batteries are not high drain batteries. They "may work" in your ZMax, but they are not the best batteries for a regulated mod like a ZMax, which uses pulsed currents to make higher voltage. These batteries are better suited for mechanical mods using factory-built juice attachments like clearomizers and cartomizers.

If you are only going to be using standard or higher resistance coils with your ZMax at lower voltages (3.4 - 4.5 volts), the batteries in question will be adequate for your uses.

BATTERY BASICS FOR MODS: IMR OR PROTECTED ICR?

DEEPER UNDERSTANDING OF MOD BATTERIES

thanks, yeah i posted in the apv section but then thought the question was more suited for the new members forum, sorry bout that.

as for the info, thanks a lot. the links are much appreciated i definitely know i need to do some more reading if im still asking questions like this one.

BostonJim

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Las Vegas
I have this unit, and protected batteries will only work for a short time. When the battery starts to run down the unit's protection will conflict with the battery protection and shut down.

It's recommended (read: Required) that you use IMR unprotected batteries. You will get the full life out of the charge. The ZMax will shut down when the unprotected battery drains down to its lowest safe level.

I only use batteries with a button top, I don't use flat top because by using a button top I'm sure contact will be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread