Status
Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi everyone, I have been really curious about this for a long time. I build my Kayfuns at 1.5ohms and vape between 9-10 watts. I see people vaping 15-25 watts. Isn't that dangerous?

1: Thicker wire needs more power

2: by 'dangerous' do you mean
- from the battery?
- or from the temperature?

New2vaps

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
USA
1: Thicker wire needs more power

2: by 'dangerous' do you mean
- from the battery?
- or from the temperature?

Thank you for the response. I didn't even think about the wire. I always use 28g and didn't even consider different wire gauges have different results. As far as dangerous I was referring to both, battery and temperature,

So now I am curious, my build is 1.5ohms, 28g kanthal A1, battery is Sony VTC5, Mod is a vapor shark rdna. What is the highest watts I can vape on and still be safe?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Thank you for the response. I didn't even think about the wire. I always use 28g and didn't even consider different wire gauges have different results. As far as dangerous I was referring to both, battery and temperature,

So now I am curious, my build is 1.5ohms, 28g kanthal A1, battery is Sony VTC5, Mod is a vapor shark rdna. What is the highest watts I can vape on and still be safe?

The bigger the wire size the more power you need to get it hot enough.

Highest watts you can vape safely on a battery depends on the battery.... and your margin of safety I suppose.

Thicker gauge wire is going to last a long time before you need to recoil, so there's an incentive to use thicker wire;
but when you use thicker wire, you need more power per ohm to get it hot enough

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada

The VTC5 is rated good to 30 amps continuous use, so you're good to go all the way up to 30 watts with a 1.5 ohm coil (you'd be drawing only about 4.5 amps). That's in terms of battery safety.

In terms of temperature, you will notice bad tasting hits before you're going to damage the gear. Start at the power setting you like now and adjust the power upward in increments, vaping with each setting to notice the quality of the vapor. With a kayfun, you'll probably notice that it lags (i.e., the wick gets starved for juice) at some point and it's just not enjoyable. Back off from that and you now know the max power setting you can enjoyably vape. Wick material, juice composition, air flow settings - these things all are factors, so doing the 'hard' math is difficult; it's a subjective thing (but you're still safe).

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
Juice and airflow will also play a big part in how many watts you can vape. The airflow on a Kayfun is a bit light so you are limited on how hot you can get your coil. Some juices can take higher watts without burning.

this.

Dont think for a single second that because YOUR atty with your BUILD cant handle more than X watts that anybody else vaping above X watts is just burning their throats and wick. This is probably one of the most common misconceptions in vaping.

For example, my Kayfun lite at 18w is SCOURCHING hot, my plume veil at 50w is just moderately warm.

Different atty designs, differences in airflow, differences in wire gauge, differences in build/wicking so many variations for what will and wont work at certain power levels there are no hard and fast rules here.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
personally with the 28g at 1.5Ω build you can probably get to 17 watts on the kayfun (depending on your juice) before you will start to produce an off taste. this is also dependent on how well you have it wicked. I have a bunch of kayfuns and when they were stock (before opening up the airflow slightly and juice channels) and I had in that particular set up, 17 watts was kind of max (at least with the juice I had) before it started to taste offish. take the same set up and throw in some thicker gauge wire and that wattage can go up slightly. I never tried over 20 watts with just a stock kayfun but by modding a few things, I now can vape the kayfun over 20 watts.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
I build and power my Kayfun coil about the same as the OP does.

I use 28 AWG Kanthal and give it 8 wraps around a 7/64" (2.8mm) rod

That gets me a coil that's right at 1.6 ohms

I feed that coil 10 watts (4.0v) ... this will then draw 2.5 amps

I just find an even 10 watts seems to get me the nicest vape with the 50% PG / 50% VG -18mg Nic tobacco flavored juice I use.

No "cloud chasing" ... but good flavor, pretty good vapor production, and it's not a hot vape

And pulling 2.5 amps is not going to tax any battery that I have ever used ... most batteries are rated at 8 amps (or more) continuous . Many are 15 amps or more continuous.

OP ... Vaping at 20 watts is not dangerous as long as you have a battery rated at or above 20 watts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread