Question: DTL vs MTL flavour percentages...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
Alrighty...

I have a NET from Stixx Mixx (The Supreme). I mixed it at 8% and the flavour is too overpowering when used DTL, but too weak when used in my MTL tank(s).

So, that said, as I'm wanting to use this MTL (the flavour is spot on), is it a simple matter of increasing the percentage until I get it to where I want it? Or am I missing a nuance here?

Yep...new mixer question. ;)

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
Thanks. :)

I wasn't asking about watts (I understand that), though, I was asking about flavour percentage in a mix. Meaning, to bring out the flavour more for MTL (at my usual wattage) is it a simple matter of increasing the amount of flavour in the mix, or is there a "point of decreasing returns" where I'll actually do more harm than good to end product. Or, is that dependent on the given flavour concentrate.

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

I wasn't asking about watts (I understand that), though, I was asking about flavour percentage in a mix. Meaning, to bring out the flavour more for MTL is it a simple matter of increasing the amount of flavour in the mix, or is there a "point of decreasing returns" where I'll actually do more harm than good to end product. Or, is that dependent on the given flavour concentrate.
LOL. I did understand your question but decided to tell you how to get better flavoring using your mod. I always use the same ejuice and find no need to 'doctor' it no matter which method(DL or MTL) I am using. If you do decide to want to increase flavoring for the MTL tank I suggest small amounts. The ejuice will become stronger with steeping. All you need to do is really have some patience while your ejuice ages to greatness.....

Reactions: stols001

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
LOL. I did understand your question but decided to tell you how to get better flavoring using your mod. I always use the same ejuice and find no need to 'doctor' it no matter which method(DL or MTL) I am using. If you do decide to want to increase flavoring for the MTL tank I suggest small amounts. The ejuice will become stronger with steeping. All you need to do is really have some patience while your ejuice ages to greatness.....

Gotcha. Thanks. :)

I like a cool vape MTL and don't want to vape at higher wattages than I already do, thus the question. Probably should have been more clear.;)

I'll try increasing the mix 2-3% next test mix....

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

I like a cool vape MTL and don't want to vape at higher wattages than I already do, thus the question. Probably should have been more clear.;)

It is my understanding that "nets" are an additive to an already mixed ejuice. Are you using that as a flavor? I really don't use tobacco flavors myself but this is what I have always read.

The only shake and vape flavoring that I know of is a fruit type of flavor. Darker ejuice flavors like coffee and tobacco take weeks to mature in order for the intended flavoring to emerge.

Have you read through the DIY thread even a little? Loads of great info in helping anyone out, no matter if you are a novice or experienced vaper.

:)

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
It is my understanding that "nets" are an additive to an already mixed ejuice. Are you using that as a flavor? I really don't use tobacco flavors myself but this is what I have always read.

The Stixx Mixx NET concentrates are a flavouring like any other (TPA, FA, Inawera etc) and are treated the same way.

Yep, have read through the DIY forum a fair amount. Was just looking for opinions.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I found that a couple of my mixes that I use DL was just fine at 5-8% total flavoring, but needed to bump it up to 12-15% total flavoring when I mixed them for MTL. Some other flavors I make were fine for both styles without any changes needed. It seems to me it is all about what exact flavors are using and your personal taste. If it seems too weak, increase the amount of flavor used until you are satisfied.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

I know that 2-3% sounds small, but in DIY it really isn't. Once you put it in the ejuice and its too much it becomes more troublesome to correct. I would start a 0.5%. You can always add more if needed. Just take it slowly and give it a little time to settle in.

:)

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
You can try bumping the flavor up a bit but keep in mind that every flavor has a ceiling, after that point it will either do nothing or it will start to mute. Its just my opinion but I think cool vape and mtl would probably work better with simple bright recipes if your after flavor.

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
You can try bumping the flavor up a bit but keep in mind that every flavor has a ceiling, after that point it will either do nothing or it will start to mute. Its just my opinion but I think cool vape and mtl would probably work better with simple bright recipes if your after flavor.

I've never had an issue with any flavour with a cool MTL vape (depending on tank and build), so that's what had be considering the DTL vs MTL and so on. In fact, just for my taste buds at least, I never found temperature/wattage changes to make any difference in flavour with any given tank/build...just warmer.

And...that was my main concern, reaching a ceiling and doing more harm than good.

Anyway, I'll try a 2-3% increase an go from there (My wife has been doing the mixing for a few years, so I know I need that percentage increase to notice any difference with my taste buds for MOST flavours).

Thanks, guys.

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
How long have you steeped this? Tobaccos take at least a month. Net's longer.

This particular mix has been steeping a little over 2 weeks. For the Stixx Mixx concentrates, I don't find any change after 2 weeks. Very minimal, if any, after 1 week. This was mixed by my wife at my request as I've never tried a tobacco DTL.

Anyway, going to mix at a slightly higher percentage today and see what happens. :)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think a slightly higher percentage may be fine. I would add that typically though, in a MTL tank there MAY be more PG, which is a flavor carrier, while many folks using VG tend to be more DL, so if you do change things, you may want to look at your ratios, although I'm not saying you HAVE to. Honestly when I was using close to max VG I am PG sensitive and until I found out I could use PEG400, as a substitute, well my flavors tasted a lot different, surprisingly so, and I was pleased by the difference.

I don't think there's anything wrong with going a tad higher honestly and at 1-2% you MAY be better off just adding it to the mix that has already undergone 2 weeks of steeping, you may be able to reduce overall steeping that way (unless you are extremely nic sensitive, in which case, yeah, start over.

It honestly COULD just be a matter of waiting a few more weeks with the original mix to finish steeping that is always a possibility although if you are happy with it at DL, well, yeah, adding a bit more could/should be fine.

It's really hard to say, these things are so individual and if you are raising your nic level for MTL (I don't necessarily know that you are) that will change, to a certain extent, flavors and everything else. Wishing you the best of luck, though. :)

Anna

Reactions: ShaneR42

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I think a slightly higher percentage may be fine. I would add that typically though, in a MTL tank there MAY be more PG, which is a flavor carrier, while many folks using VG tend to be more DL, so if you do change things, you may want to look at your ratios, although I'm not saying you HAVE to. Honestly when I was using close to max VG I am PG sensitive and until I found out I could use PEG400, as a substitute, well my flavors tasted a lot different, surprisingly so, and I was pleased by the difference.

I don't think there's anything wrong with going a tad higher honestly and at 1-2% you MAY be better off just adding it to the mix that has already undergone 2 weeks of steeping, you may be able to reduce overall steeping that way (unless you are extremely nic sensitive, in which case, yeah, start over.

It honestly COULD just be a matter of waiting a few more weeks with the original mix to finish steeping that is always a possibility although if you are happy with it at DL, well, yeah, adding a bit more could/should be fine.

It's really hard to say, these things are so individual and if you are raising your nic level for MTL (I don't necessarily know that you are) that will change, to a certain extent, flavors and everything else. Wishing you the best of luck, though. :)

Anna

I was also going to speak to the vg/pg ratio.

I personally do not find vg to be sweet or to mute flavors, but it does change them somehow. It seems to me more like pg is bitter and can be harsh.

And there are flavors I like better at low watts mtl, others are better dl.

Some flavors, aside from the vg/pg, the only adjustment I need to go from dl to mtl is add a bit of em to mellow it out.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I definitely make a different mix for small clearos than my usual dripper juice. In fact, while the power difference is only about 3 times, the flavoring difference is sometimes more than 3 times. I like my regular juices light and working in harmony with the PG/VG. Very small devices regulate the flavor partially by limiting the total vapor.

Older recipes appear to be for small vapes, although there are many that still mix at that level and use it for DL I can't see how it's even tolerable unless the device has horrible flavor production. Stixx is unusual among NETs in recommending lower flavoring amounts. I don't know if their stuff is any stronger or they're just more up to date. I only have their A+ Blend which has light flavor and strong throat hit (reviews agree I see now); I like it but can't judge the line very well from it.

As to PG, I don't find it more bitter than VG in itself. But part of it carrying flavors better is it carries bitter flavors a lot better.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I mixed it at 8%
    Anyway, I'll try a 2-3% increase an go from there
    I realize 2 or 3% is a small amount when you compare it to 100%. But, as Sugar mentioned, it is a lot when comparing to your original 8%. 10% is another 25% more; and 11% a whopping 37.5% increase. The 0.50% Sugar suggested is a more subtle 6.25% step.

I am not saying you shouldn't do it, or that is won't work for you. I am only trying to point out that it is indeed a significant increase. :)

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
    Jun 5, 2016
    ....I am not saying you shouldn't do it, or that is won't work for you. I am only trying to point out that it is indeed a significant increase. :)

Yep. I hear ya. ;)

I should have stressed this more than I did: My taste buds are absolute "crap" and, other than cost, this is what led me to DIY (with my wife as mixer) a couple of years ago...what I find mild tasting would make others gag. So, there's no way I'd taste a difference of 0.5% with these Stixx Mixx concentrates. Some other flavours, sure (looking at you coconut extra lol).

Anyway, I actually went to 12%, but still not where I want it. Still needs some steeping, though. I'll probably need to do various mixes at differing percentages (higher and lower) to figure out how this particular flavour acts for me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread