Question on first time sub-ohm build

Status
Not open for further replies.

swolfp

Aug 12, 2014
Cyprus
Hi all,

I have ordered an Evic VTC mini which is a big departure (I think) from my trusty Sigelie 30W + RSST genesis unit which I have been running for well over a year.

The VTC mini comes with 2 pre-made coils (Ti 0.2 Ohm and Ni 0.4 Ohm) and I am getting an additional rebuildable head with it.

For the rebuildable I bought organic cotton for the wick and a reel of tempered Ni200 28 gauge wire which I believe is a lot easier to work with than Ti (I'm used to Kanthal). Then I watched some videos to learn what I can about building the coil before all this kit arrives.

I also used an online calculator to help with the finer details and discovered that to get the same 0.4 Ohm with Ni 200 I'd need 33 wraps! I think the most I could get to fit in this coil head, considering the coils should ideally be spaced, would be about 8 which would I think only get about 0.1 Ohm.

This is how I got my result

So, does anyone have advice? How does the supplied pre-made Nickel coil be getting 0.4 Ohm, maybe just the gauge of the wire or perhaps really clever coil design?.. If so can anyone advise either what gauge I would need to achieve what appears to the manufacturer recommended 0.4 Ohm, or is 0.1 Ohm is ok for vaping, i.e are there any dangers I should be aware of?

I've managed to get quite confused!!

Thanks in advance :)

Simon

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi all,

I have ordered an Evic VTC mini which is a big departure (I think) from my trusty Sigelie 30W + RSST genesis unit which I have been running for well over a year.

The VTC mini comes with 2 pre-made coils (Ti 0.2 Ohm and Ni 0.4 Ohm) and I am getting an additional rebuildable head with it.

For the rebuildable I bought organic cotton for the wick and a reel of tempered Ni200 28 gauge wire which I believe is a lot easier to work with than Ti (I'm used to Kanthal). Then I watched some videos to learn what I can about building the coil before all this kit arrives.

I also used an online calculator to help with the finer details and discovered that to get the same 0.4 Ohm with Ni 200 I'd need 33 wraps! I think the most I could get to fit in this coil head, considering the coils should ideally be spaced, would be about 8 which would I think only get about 0.1 Ohm.

This is how I got my result

So, does anyone have advice? How does the supplied pre-made Nickel coil be getting 0.4 Ohm, maybe just the gauge of the wire or perhaps really clever coil design?.. If so can anyone advise either what gauge I would need to achieve what appears to the manufacturer recommended 0.4 Ohm, or is 0.1 Ohm is ok for vaping, i.e are there any dangers I should be aware of?

I've managed to get quite confused!!

Thanks in advance :)

Simon

Yes it is the gauge.

use the calculator and try different numbers for the gauge.

dr3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2015
Texas Gulf Coast
The VTC mini comes with 2 pre-made coils (Ti 0.2 Ohm and Ni 0.4 Ohm)

Swolfp, part of your confusion comes from flip flop'd base information. The VTC pre-mades are Ti @ .4 and Ni @ .2. You will also find that Ti is an easier progression from Kanthal building than Ni200 (even tempered). Most find it pretty easy to get workable resistance levels out of 26g Ti which is much easier to build with than 30 or 32g Ni200.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread