Question Regarding the Smok AL85 Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace5High

Feb 13, 2012
Manhattan, New York
Hey everyone. A girl I know just gave me her (only slightly) used AL85 to use. I had batteries, a charger, and even a brand new Eleaf Melo III Mini tank to put on top. The only thing I'm encountering a problem with is finding the owners'/user manual (preferably in PDF) to have for reference. Otherwise, it's been the best box mod I have ever had and the tank pairs well with it. I was told at a few local vape shops that they don't carry the AL85 anymore, so unless the people working are familiar with it (only one guy was so far), I'm limited to what I can find online. So far, I haven't found anything other than brief YouTube videos that don't quite cover all the bases on it. Also, is this mod discontinued? Does anyone know?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. ☺.

Reactions: stols001

MartinD

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2017
Maybe it's discontinued but smoktech throws out new models almost every week that are different from old models only in design. I use al85 for almost a year on a daily basis and I'm very satisfied.A high-quality and durable mod. I charge the battery while in the mod.Meny is very simple and user friendly.Only con is a sticker on the back that start fading after 7-8 months.You can buy it at GB for about 30 euros and I think it's a very good purchase for that price.

Poslato sa PRA-LX1 uz pomoć Tapatoka

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
While it is able to charge a battery, I wouldn't really rely on it too much. Charging with a quality external charger is always best. When I did charge through mine (I only do that in a pinch while out and about) the battery got warmer than I was comfortable with, and unplugged it immediately. Mods tend to be less accurate on the charging side of things, so keep a close eye on it if you have to charge that way.

MartinD

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2017
I agree that it is better to use an external charger, but I do not see any difference while charging the battery in this mod. In the other mod(Aspire Cygnet) the battery and mode are heated. The first few months of use, I have been charging the battery solely in mode, and now only when I am on work overnight.

Poslato sa PRA-LX1 uz pomoć Tapatoka

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, if you like the mod, don't internally charge it. . The USB port can wear out over time. So, that would be ONE large difference. I mean, yeah with one battery you aren't going to have to worry about unbalanced charging, but if you want the mod to last and it's in good shape, I, personally would not charge via USB. Smok is also not so known to do such a great job charging via USB, a few smok sticks have gotten overheated (to be fair, it's a different type of battery in the smok stick, which is designed as an internal battery) and have required attention.

If USB charging, the safety rules tend to be: not overnight, not in "riskier" manufacturer's offerings, and use a wall wart, not a computer or anything else. Make sure that your wall wart isn't too powerful for the mod (normally not a problem the mod will "pull" what it "needs" from the source, and won't overcharge (theoretically). I am not trying to put you off your mod and I'm glad you like it but honestly, I would consider doing external charging. Smok does have known issues in this area.

Best of luck and glad you are liking your setup!

Anna

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Make sure that your wall wart isn't too powerful for the mod (normally not a problem the mod will "pull" what it "needs" from the source, and won't overcharge (theoretically).

Anna

In fact, it's better if the wall wart has a higher amp rating than the mod requires. That way the wall wart won't overheat.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread