Questions about extractions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kythcat

ECF Veteran
I've been going back over the forum, and not really sure what NET stands for, but I do get the meaning behind it.

One small question I have is amounts. How much tobacco is a good place to start? Right now I RYO, and plan on steeping the tobacco from them to add to my juice, but not sure if I should worry about weight, or just measure and eyeball it? Planning on getting a 6 oz bag tomorrow that will be set aside to steep. Will use a pint mason jar for the first batch and ordering PG to soak it in. Can someone give some numbers like either 1/3 cup of tobacco or 2 oz. I know I need to pour the pg over the top to cover, and possibly a little extra.

I'm being a cheapskate about this, I know, but I can't bring myself to spend $20+ on a small bottle of WTA from WholeCig when I will have the tobacco.

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
I've been going back over the forum, and not really sure what NET stands for, but I do get the meaning behind it.

One small question I have is amounts. How much tobacco is a good place to start? Right now I RYO, and plan on steeping the tobacco from them to add to my juice, but not sure if I should worry about weight, or just measure and eyeball it? Planning on getting a 6 oz bag tomorrow that will be set aside to steep. Will use a pint mason jar for the first batch and ordering PG to soak it in. Can someone give some numbers like either 1/3 cup of tobacco or 2 oz. I know I need to pour the pg over the top to cover, and possibly a little extra.

I'm being a cheapskate about this, I know, but I can't bring myself to spend $20+ on a small bottle of WTA from WholeCig when I will have the tobacco.

NET is basically a term coined to mean flavor that's been extracted from tobacco by steeping it in (your case) PG. Naturally Extracted Tobacco. As far as amounts, if your using a pint mason jar it should more than accommodate 2 0z of RYO tobacco. Be sure to thoroughly clean, rinse and dry your jar. Use a clean lid. Amounts aren't critical and are somewhat forgiving. 8 oz jar for 1oz, 12oz jar for 1.76 oz, 1 pint jar for 2 oz. Use enough PG to soak it good and just cover the leaf and then maybe quarter inch over. This keeps you in the ballpark, depending on the cut of tobacco. You should be good. Waiting is the hard part. I recommend 6-8 weeks for room temperature soak. Give it a gentle roll every week or so. This gives you ample time to plan, for separating and filtering, when it's complete. Good luck with your brew.

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
Same PG-soak method here:- I've never measured out the PG...maybe that's why My extracts vary in strength!! :)
I'm using less tobacco for mine, simply 'cos I've found an on-line tobacconist here in the UK that supplies 5g. samples of loadsa different pipe 'baccy. This has enabled Me to try 20 different types without the expense of having to buy whole pouches! Also, washed-up fish-paste glass pots are a perfect size for maceration & storing the extracts...& dirt cheap!!

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Excellent replies by usr/ and yourgurnard Personally, I just eyeball the amount of tobacco and solvent. However much tobacco you put in a jar pour in enough solvent (in your case PG), to just cover the tobacco and then add a little extra for absorption where there's perhaps an eighth of an inch above the tobacco. Seal the jar, label it denoting the tobacco and start date and set it in a dark place.

For room temperature soaks using PG as the extraction solvent my best results were obtained after 10 - 12 weeks of soak time. However you can perform in-process sampling at anytime during the extraction process to check the developing flavor. Do this by drawing out 5 drops of the solvent and mixing it with 20 drops of pre-mixed base (you choice PG/VG/nic), and then sample it, I use a Magma RDA (dripper) for sampling.

I've never extracted more than one ounce of tobacco at a time so can only comment that one ounce will require somewhere around 150ml of solvent, I've only bothered to measure the amount of solvent used in order to determine filtering and tobacco saturation losses, measuring isn't really necessary.

Reactions: usr/

gt_1955

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
South Australia

I would just like to point out that NET (flavour) extraction is not a WTA (alkloid) extraction (that uses a whole different process).

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
I would just like to point out that NET (flavour) extraction is not a WTA (alkloid) extraction (that uses a whole different process).

While the general consensus is that NET's doesn't contain WTA (or very little) I have to say that there is something there, that's missing from nic only eliquid. I managed to quit smoking using nic only liquid but I never shook the itch that slowly but surely was dragging me back to smoking. Then I discovered the NET's. I immediately knew it was game over, for ever going back to cigarettes. That was 2 ½ years ago and I still have no desire to smoke, but I still use the NET's. I smoked for 42 years! Back during the summer I took a break from NET's and was using Hangsen, Inawera tobaccos, and Tobacco Absolutes. While they are good and did keep the urges down, they did start creeping back on me. Even they, just weren't the same. So I went back on the NET and I think that's where I'll have to stay, even though they can be from a maintenance standpoint, a PITA! I love em'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Str8vision

gt_1955

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
South Australia
I agree, you do extract *some* WTA, but once mixed to your eLiquid you will vape, it will be minor (depending on your recipe).

I'm currently using 1% heated ethanol extracted tobacco (Str8vision), 2% cold macerated (>90 days) extracted tobacco (various authors), and 20% WTA extracted tobacco (loosely based on tceight's work) ... still feel a little bit like a tobacco consumer :D

Although this mix is kept for "those times" :eek:

Last edited:

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I know that, but hoping that the flavor will help me switch instead of using the WTA.

Unlike most others, I didn't start vaping to quit smoking. I stumbled across vaping "NET" several years ago and enjoyed it so much that I lost interest in smoking, haven't burned tobacco since. NET is -nothing- like synthetically flavored juice, it provides a measure of tobacco satisfaction no other e-liquid can match. The "type" of tobacco you extract is important because not every tobacco extracts well. If your RYO doesn't do it for you try extracting a different tobacco/blend.

Kythcat

ECF Veteran
Wanted to come back and thank all of you for the advice. Did a test run with what I had on hand, although I only let it sit for 2 weeks. Mixed it with some flavors I already have mixed up, and enjoying myself now. It just might do the trick for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread