Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I've occaisionally enjoyed this chewing tobacco over the years. Today, I am in the process of finalizing an extraction. I'll have some questions and I invite any of your questions. Here's the process I've used:

Starting with one pouch of Red Man Gold Blend, I poured the contents into a 32oz Mason jar with sealed lid.
I added 8oz of PGA
This has been sitting for a few weeks, sealed.
I filtered the majority of the tobacco with a re-usable coffee filter.
I then poured the liquid into an unbleached paper disposable coffee filter.
Added 30ml PG and 30ml VG for just over 2 oz of finished product
Using a Pyrex measuring cup, I set the liquid into hot water on the stove to cook-off the PGA.
****Warning!! If you do this, use an electric stove or electric hotplate. NO FLAMES! PGA is highly flammable/explosive!

It's in the cooking-off stage, now. I dipped my finger into the tobacco/PGA/PG/VG, and it tases yummy!

My post is related to any advice on what percentage of nicotine I should expect from this method and any advice regarding the measurements I've used.

Please comment on what your opinion/experiences may be.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

KEITH97M3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2010
HONOLULU, HAWAII
nu-vapor.com
Red Man doesn't list their ingredients but if it contains sodium like most others do, I found that the end product has a salty taste when vaped. I have been looking for a way to remove the sodium but aside from some complex and expensive equipment, there doesn't seem to be a way. Let me know how yours tastes and how long your atty survived. I have been doing to same experiments using snus so I am very interested to hear how your turns out.

Ps, I just bought some pipe black cavendish moist tobacco today, going to try it with that and will post about it if everything turns out ok.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
After slowly double-cooking it for over 2 hours and adding another ounce of VG there's still a high amount of PGA. Rough measurement is around 4oz. I knocked-off for the night as it was getting close to midnight. I picked some of the liquid up with a spoon and it's quite syrup-y, as it is, with roughly 1oz of PGA. I intend on cooking it down some more. I did drip a little bit of what it is currently on my i06 1.5 (de-bridged), and it does seem to be a good, close to what I expected e-liquid. Flavor's a little weak, but maybe it just needs a little maturity or steep time.

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
After slowly double-cooking it for over 2 hours and adding another ounce of VG there's still a high amount of PGA. Rough measurement is around 4oz. I knocked-off for the night as it was getting close to midnight. I picked some of the liquid up with a spoon and it's quite syrup-y, as it is, with roughly 1oz of PGA. I intend on cooking it down some more. I did drip a little bit of what it is currently on my i06 1.5 (de-bridged), and it does seem to be a good, close to what I expected e-liquid. Flavor's a little weak, but maybe it just needs a little maturity or steep time.

Read the impatient newbie thread. I am in the middle of my experiment as we speak.

I have done some research and the nicotine levels shouldn't be very high. You may actually need to add nic to your extraction. If you read the impatient newbie thread, from the research I have done, you should probably have added some water with the PGA.

A couple of questions for you if I may?

What color did your extraction turn out to be? I am about 18 hours into my experiment using a Crock Pot and my liquid is the color of dark chocolate. (As best as I can tell at this point. Hard to handle that 200 Deg. F bottle.)

When you say it is a little weak, do you mean by half, or just a little?

Does it taste close to the tobacco you started with?

Thanks!

Pete

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Tobacco taste is spot-on. I loaded a 1.5 DC carto with the 25/50/25- PG/VG/PGA. When I say it's weak, I mean the vapor doesn't seem as full-bodied as I like. I generally vape 75-80 VG thinned with up to 4% PGA. The nicotine is definitely there, but possibly less than the normal 18mg I vape. The color is close to the color of black coffee. Consistency is like a light syrup. It's almost sticky and it hangs on the sides of the Pyrex meauring cup when I've stirred it, even when it's hot on the stove.

The flavor is a little thin, and I think that could be due to the dilution and too much PGA. It could need time to steep, as well.

I still intend on cooking it some more today to see about thickening the vapor. Once it's burned-off some more of the PGA I'll add that to the carto I've got loaded with the thin stuff to see if production improves.

My guess, at this point, is that I may have over-estimated the amount of PG and VG to make up the end product. I may add some nicotine before it's all said and done, as well. I have some 48PG and 100VG nic in my supplies, so I'll do so if conditions warrant a higher level.

Last edited:

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
Tobacco taste is spot-on. I loaded a 1.5 DC carto with the 25/50/25- PG/VG/PGA. When I say it's weak, I mean the vapor doesn't seem as full-bodied as I like. I generally vape 75-80 VG thinned with up to 4% PGA. The nicotine is definitely there, but possibly less than the normal 18mg I vape. The color is close to the color of black coffee. Consistency is like a light syrup. It's almost sticky and it hangs on the sides of the Pyrex meauring cup when I've stirred it, even when it's hot on the stove.

The flavor is a little thin, and I think that could be due to the dilution and too much PGA. It could need time to steep, as well.

I still intend on cooking it some more today to see about thickening the vapor. Once it's burned-off some more of the PGA I'll add that to the carto I've got loaded with the thin stuff to see if production improves.

My guess, at this point, is that I may have over-estimated the amount of PG and VG to make up the end product. I may add some nicotine before it's all said and done, as well. I have some 48PG and 100VG nic in my supplies, so I'll do so if conditions warrant a higher level.

Thanks!

I'm getting a little antsy with my extraction. I was going to cook it for 3 days but I think I'm going to turn it off at 6PM EST and allow it to cool down so I can try some later tonight. At 6PM it will have been cooking for about 22 hours. When I checked it earlier today it was the color of "dark chocolate" or as you said "black coffee".

I'll post an update on the other thread.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread