Questions after 2 weeks..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
To start with, I have 2 basic Kanger EVOD starter kits. Yes, I bought a second kit.. got to have back up!:)

I'd like to ask the veterans here, what would be your first upgrade? I know it's personal preference but would like some advice. I know I don't want something really complicated or big/heavy. I'm on the go a lot and want something easy to take with me but will give me more than what I have. By that I mean I want something that I can "hit" easier. I feel like with what I have at times I have to hit really hard to get a hit. Yes, even with a fresh coil.

Next question is about juice. I made my first online purchase and eww it taste like #*$&! I have read I need to let it steep/age and this will get better (I'm hoping) so my question is, how long does it take to age? days? weeks? months? It currently tastes more like rubbing alcohol than anything. Hardly any flavor at all.

Just want to add, I LOVE this site! I spend most of my free time reading here and thankful for all I have learned. Thanks to all of you that contribute here!

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
To start with, I have 2 basic Kanger EVOD starter kits. Yes, I bought a second kit.. got to have back up!:)

I'd like to ask the veterans here, what would be your first upgrade? I know it's personal preference but would like some advice. I know I don't want something really complicated or big/heavy. I'm on the go a lot and want something easy to take with me but will give me more than what I have. By that I mean I want something that I can "hit" easier. I feel like with what I have at times I have to hit really hard to get a hit. Yes, even with a fresh coil.

Next question is about juice. I made my first online purchase and eww it taste like #*$&! I have read I need to let it steep/age and this will get better (I'm hoping) so my question is, how long does it take to age? days? weeks? months? It currently tastes more like rubbing alcohol than anything. Hardly any flavor at all.

Just want to add, I LOVE this site! I spend most of my free time reading here and thankful for all I have learned. Thanks to all of you that contribute here!

Head over to the library 6 part walkthru on the evolution of personal vaper products

The ECF Library

You can spend TONS on upgrading...but since you asked..the culmination of all mods and APV's has led to the iTaste MVP2, box mod, usb passthru, huge battery, portable power unit...and it won't break the bank
http://www.healthcabin.net/helpdesk/knowledgebase.php?article=438&rated=1

You get to skip the upgrading in stages many of us have gone thru

Most important Welcome to the BEST personal vaper site on the web!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'd like to ask the veterans here, what would be your first upgrade?

Before upgrading to a regulated or mechanical mod, I'd first try experimenting with the different juice attachments available. They all differ in construction and vaping experience. Everyone has their own preference, or else there would not be so many options available. The Evod is a bottom coil clearomizer like the Protank. Top coil clearos like the Vivi Nova will give a different experience, and the iclear 16 & 30 are dual top coil for an even more different experience.

A cartomizer or cartotank will have an even more different vaping experience.

Is it a carto, a tank, or what?

You could also purchase a variable voltage Ego (Spinner or Twist) to see if you like adjusting your voltage to best suit the flavors you have. Many flavors taste surprisingly better at a higher or lower temperature.

Vaping can be seen as a series of steps like a ladder.

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Ego's & Mods

Finding flavors that you love vaping all day can be as important and as difficult as finding the right gear setup. This is pretty much done by trial and error, as no one can say what you will like with any certainy. Taste is subjective.

Try a wide range of flavors, sometimes even some you wouldn't imagine that you would like, you might be surprised. Many non-menthol smokers turn out to like mentholated e-liquid flavors. I was a menthol smoker, and never liked any of the tobacco flavors until almost a year after I began vaping. My easy picks for you to try are fruit flavors, hard to miss on those.

Try to find vendors that offer sampler packs for sale. You can try more quantities of juice for a lower price than wasting money on a larger bottle that you may not like. I have not found that much difference in the different Pg/Vg ratio's like others have, so I generally just go with an easy 50/50 mix for both good flavor and vapor. Pg more flavor, Vg more vapor.

Try multiple online vendors for flavors. None will have flavors that you will like them all, but you may find one or two that you like enough to purchase again. If there is a vape shop within driving distance, they often will have a juice tasting bar to try flavors before you buy.

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Baditude, you're a tough act to follow! :toast:

I see the MVP was suggested. I really like mine, but it may be a bit big and bulky for what the OP wants.

Smaller form factor (and fewer mAh, of course!) would be something like a Spinner in 1300 mAh. Would likely get you through a day, variable voltage easily adjusted. Put on a lanyard, and easy to handle.

I see, too, the OP is in Florida, so there may be easily reachable vape shops. Most do have tasting bars, so if possible, go there. While you may not want to get all your juice from them, it's a good way to narrow down the types of flavors you like.

Time to steep/age.... kinda variable, depends a lot on the maker. Some don't need it, some do. But if you don't like the flavor, just set it aside in a cool dark place. Tastes change, and you might like it later. Or not, in which case you give it to some unsuspecting fellow vaper. :blink:

Blkwdw86

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2013
Gladewater, TX
I was told before my first purchase to make sure I got bottom coil which I did. What is the difference between top coil vs. bottom coil? Ok, really going to work now. LOL

Two major diffs. First, gravity helps a bottom coil work better. As you puff away the juice at the coil, replacement juice has to climb the wick to get to it. It takes time, and isn't helpful to someone who hits it hard and fast. With a bottom coil, gravity does the job and keeps the portion of the wick closest to the head constantly loaded with juice, it reloads the coil nearly as fast as you can pull on it. Second, a top coil produces a warmer vape, a bottom coil a cooler one, simply by virtue of the distance from the coil to the mouth. It's a subtle difference, but noticeable, especially with particularly heavy or light flavors.

As for equipment, the insight from the vets is valuable and appreciated, to be sure, but vaping is a uniquely personal experience. You will find that you are still going to have to experiment for yourself no matter how articulate the advice from the long-timers. A recurring theme you'll see here is the core truth of vaping - what works for some doesn't work for others. Best thing is to identify your needs and tastes and start equipping from there.

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
Thanks for all the replies! As for the juice, I'm not discouraged at all. I know that the place of purchase makes it to order so it was just made. I am sure it needs to age, just not sure how long that will take. I did get a 50/50 mix to try out as well.

There is a local vape shop that will let you try different flavors and I have. It is just small and limited which is why I am trying sample bottles sold online. There is one to open up soon that looks like it might have more and I am anxiously awaiting their opening!

Now I'm off to check out the links provided. I know this will be trial and error to find the right device for me. The one I have is ok but I feel like I need something more. I can keep this for back up and I think I definitely want bottom coil.

samcm010

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2013
Ashburn Virginia USA
I am glad someone posted about the itaste MVP. The size put me off from buying it for 6 months but once I did I was really happy. It is a great on the go device. As far as juices it has been my experience that I like about 20% of the juices I try/buy. I happily give those I do not like away to friends. I let my juices steep for 2 weeks.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    WHAT DO YOU WANT (heard that in a movie once) What is it about what you have now that you would like to change? What are your motivations?

My first real PV was the Silver Bullet from altsmoke.com ($85), and my motivations were quite simple. I wanted a PV that would work even if hell froze over. I've done some pretty bad things to that old SB in the past two years, and it still works flawlessly.
    Having a PV that I could count on no matter what has allowed me to save up to buy the neat stuff. (like Provari's & Reo's)

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 29, 2013
    Florida, USA
    WHAT DO YOU WANT (heard that in a movie once) What is it about what you have now that you would like to change? What are your motivations?

My first real PV was the Silver Bullet from altsmoke.com ($85), and my motivations were quite simple. I wanted a PV that would work even if hell froze over. I've done some pretty bad things to that old SB in the past two years, and it still works flawlessly.
    Having a PV that I could count on no matter what has allowed me to save up to buy the neat stuff. (like Provari's & Reo's)

I want something that I don't feel like I have to suck so hard to get something. With my EVOD I am holding the button until it flashes and still feel at times I could keep going before I get a good hit. The iTaste MVP was suggested and I am considering this. I have seen it $70-$75. I don't have a problem with that and from the deminsions I don't think it is too big. When I said I didn't want something big I was thinking more like some of the .... types I've seen. I want something I can take with me.

Now the question of how much maintenance does it require? Will this be complicated or something as simple as changing a coil from time to time? I want something I can load and go and not have to worry about.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    I want something that I don't feel like I have to suck so hard to get something. With my EVOD I am holding the button until it flashes and still feel at times I could keep going before I get a good hit. The iTaste MVP was suggested and I am considering this. I have seen it $70-$75. I don't have a problem with that and from the deminsions I don't think it is too big. When I said I didn't want something big I was thinking more like some of the .... types I've seen. I want something I can take with me.

Now the question of how much maintenance does it require? Will this be complicated or something as simple as changing a coil from time to time? I want something I can load and go and not have to worry about.

That would be the MVP2 with a protank. Easy as pie. Fill and go. The battery will last a long time plus you can vape while it is charging. The hardest thing about this is to remember to flip the button on the bottom when charging. It is slimmer than a pack of smokes, a tad longer and of course heavier. And I have found them on ebay for around the 50 dollarish range.

:)

Here is one I found with an iclear 30 but still a good price
    Itaste MVP 2 0 ICLEAR30 ICLEAR16 Kit Newest Version from Innokin Free Shipping | eBay

Last edited:

D0lfin

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Vancouver WA
    Airing the bottle will usually help with the alcohol-ish-ness. Just let the bottle sit for a day or overnight with the cap off (somewhere dark, where it won't get knocked over!) and the alcohol will evaporate. Put cap back on and shake it a couple of times while it's airing, if you think about it. Hope it helps! and welcome to ECF. :)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread