Quick (easy) RBA questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

goonie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
1. Is there any issue reusing the same mesh to build a new coil?
2. Is it okay to reduce the length of the coil once it has been used (juice still in the tank)
3. Does the mesh need to be dry in order to test a brand new coil?
4. What is the typical lifespan of SS mesh?

Hope that was direct enough. Thanks.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
1. Is there any issue reusing the same mesh to build a new coil?
2. Is it okay to reduce the length of the coil once it has been used (juice still in the tank)
3. Does the mesh need to be dry in order to test a brand new coil?
4. What is the typical lifespan of SS mesh?

Hope that was direct enough. Thanks.

1) I use the same mesh wick over and over, coil after coil
2) I don't really understand what you're asking. Once you get your coil working, you don't want to try to take off or add wraps, or at least I don't.
3) yes, the wick needs to be dry and the tank empty when you're setting up your coil. The process of testing your coil will quickly burn off any residual juice and then the coils will glow (hopefully) if you have juice in your tank, it will wick up the coil and be harder for you to tell if your coil is "set up properly"
4) I use my wicks for weeks and months. Mesh is cheap and easy to roll but I don't do it if I don't have to. They do last a long time.

in my experience, tension is the most important aspect of coil building. Make sure the every part of the coil is hugging the wick. Any time that I've had a burnt or metallic taste, I can look closely and there is always a tiny part of the coil that isn't touching the wick. The part of the coil that attaches to the pos and neg needs to be even tension, not too tight or too loose. On my DIDs, I wrap my coil with the wick out of the device because of the tall neg post makes it tricky to wrap evenly. With my rsst, I can wrap the coil with it in the device.

Last edited:

goonie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks for the response.

2. I got the coil working at 2.8 ohm but then removed one wrap to bring it down to 2.0 ohm. This was on a vv device so readings were pretty wonky for a while.

btw donnah, your comment on tension is beginning to make sense now. My SS wick is slightly eccentric and no perfectly "round". I had issues getting the even glow and I think it's because the coils are elliptical, so the the curvature is not even all the way through. Now I know.

I'm using a RSST btw.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
Thanks for the response.

2. I got the coil working at 2.8 ohm but then removed one wrap to bring it down to 2.0 ohm. This was on a vv device so readings were pretty wonky for a while.

btw donnah, your comment on tension is beginning to make sense now. My SS wick is slightly eccentric and no perfectly "round". I had issues getting the even glow and I think it's because the coils are elliptical, so the the curvature is not even all the way through. Now I know.

I'm using a RSST btw.

yea.. the secret the a "properly setup genesis" is tension. If that coil isn't perfectly wrapped around the wick, all part of the coil touching the wick.. it's going to give the classic "burnt/metallic" flavor that everyone complains about. It's hard to do with 28g imo (because the wire is thicker and harder to work with) but I run my gennys at .8 so I have to use the 28g.

I love recoiling my rsst.. it's super easy to just wrap the coil while the wick is in the hole. The petar K (dill bit method) was popular (and maybe still is) but I never could get it to work because it's hard to make that wick perfectly round and the exact size I need to slide down into the coil. I get better success hand wrapping. With a vv device I use 30g wire and shoot for 1.2ohms.

williebb123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2010
Mount Shasta California
i have the AC9 which is what the rsst was modeled from and ive found using a small phillips screwdriver almost the same size as the wick hole makes perfect coils, after wrapping insert the screwdriver into the hole and secure the top and bottom coil to the screws then remove and insert the wick if your wick is too small just roll between your thumb and index finger while half way down inside the coil in the opposite direction of how you rolled the mesh you can feel when it is the right size because you will have to screw the wick down into the hole and it will be tight from top to bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread