Question about ss mesh hybrid wick (video inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
This is my first attempt at a mesh wick, its silica/ss hybrid. I made it by wrapping about 3 or 4 times around a piece of 2mm silica, torching it, then wrapping 5/4 30ga kanthal to get 1.4 ohms. There are no hotspots I can see and everything is tight enough that I can just barely slide the silica inside the mesh and the mesh inside the coil. The juice in the video is 80/20, and it appears to be working pretty well (I think). Vapes good with this juice. However, I rinsed it out with hot water then torched it again and dry burned, then tried some 50/50 juice. Now it takes longer to fire up and the vapor and flavor is less than with the original 80/20 I tried. The mesh is 450. Any ideas on what is going on? Do I need to use coarser mesh for thicker juice? Or did something get messed up when I torched the mesh inside the coil?

EDIT: Never mind the questions! My battery was just getting a little low and after charging, it works great with the 50/50 now. The mesh must absorb a bit more heat than soft wick. I believe it was down to 3.85V when I was having the issues, and it has vaped fine down to 3.7V with silica and cotton at this resistance. Perhaps I need to lose one coil and get down to around 1 ohm with the mesh! This was my first try and I was not sure exactly what to expect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread