Raw Cotton

Status
Not open for further replies.

amp79423

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2013
Lubbock, TX, USA
I am brand new to the world of rebuildables. I've been watching videos on how to properly wrap a coil and doing a tremendous amount of research on wicking materials. I bought my first rda, an IGO-L, today and some 3mm silica and 30 gauge kanthal. I'll be trying to get a good working coil going in the next couple of days. The question I have is whether any of you have ever thought about or tried using raw cotton, as in straight off the plant. It is cotton harvest time in West Texas and I have a farmer friend who will give me a few bolls if I ask. Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigmaaark

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
rancho cucamonga, ca
correct me if im wrong, but isnt raw cotton treated with insecticide? i would do major cleaning if i ever considered using it right off the plant.

but after all that, i dont see why it wouldnt work. i dont think they do anything different to it after it is harvested other than bleach it/treat it and make it into balls or whatever they are gonna make it into.

amp79423

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2013
Lubbock, TX, USA
I don't know whether it has been treated with insecticide, I do know that there are a bunch of other chemicals used in farming, such as defoliants, fertilizer, weed killer, etc... I'm not sure what is done at the gin, or later in the manufacturing process, to remove all that. I guess I could always grow my own plant in the back yard and not use chemicals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread