Status
Not open for further replies.

Insomaniac10

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2012
Boston
Hi all,

I've been rebuilding for about a year now, and I STILL feel like there's something I'm missing. I will wrap one coil, and get a great vape. Then I when I make my next coil, I will mirror the process in which I wrapped my previous, and I'll have a totally different result (more throat burning, none of that yummy crackling/popping). I'm careful to make sure that none of my coils are touching either each other or any other metal on the atomizer body, and that all of my connections are tight.

here's one thing I've noticed:

Whenever I wrap a fresh coil, I attached my atomizer to my mod with no juice on it, and pulse fire it to make sure it is lighting up properly and evenly, which makes it easy to make any needed adjustments before it gets wet. When doing these dry pulse fires, I hear one of two sounds coming from the coil as it heats up - 1. I hear nothing, 2. The coil gently hisses. I havn't exactly kept a log, but my memory says that my better vaping experiences come from coils that do NOT make any sound when they are dry fired. It also seems like whenever i wrap a coil that hisses, no matter how much I tweak the coil, the hissing does not go away.

So here are the main questions I'm looking for answers to:

1. Are there any tips/tricks to coil wrapping that are not often talked about in your standard run-of-the-mill tutorials. We all know how to wrap wire and a wick, but what about the small fidgety stuff that is often not discussed? I often hear the term "leads", but I'm not sure what that is.

2. What would cause the hissing sound on the dry pulse fires, if the coils are not touching each other, or the atomizer body, and all connections are tight?

Glen Snyder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So here are the main questions I'm looking for answers to:

1. Are there any tips/tricks to coil wrapping that are not often talked about in your standard run-of-the-mill tutorials. We all know how to wrap wire and a wick, but what about the small fidgety stuff that is often not discussed? I often hear the term "leads", but I'm not sure what that is.

2. What would cause the hissing sound on the dry pulse fires, if the coils are not touching each other, or the atomizer body, and all connections are tight?
[/B]

1 Try the micro coil method where the coils DO touch and thread your silica after you wind the coil.

2 Skin oils?

Insomaniac10

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2012
Boston
Thanks for all of the replies. I will try to coils-touching method tonight. Thank you for the suggestion.

As far as wrapping the wire around something first in order the get nice round coils, I was doing that for quite some time, still pretty inconsistent as far as the final results. Lately I've been free-wrapping, because I've been double-wicking.

The only thing i havn't tried is making my coils touch. Like I said we will try later. That would be a grat easy fix!

gimmieshelter31

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Baltimore,MD
After 2+ years of vaping, the use of a micro coil has really improved my personal vape experience.

If you haven't yet, do at least try the method and do try a cotton wick. No material wicks faster or tastes as clean IMO.

When I tried cotton previously, I used candle wicks and cheesecloth and was turned off by the "wet tshirt" taste. Upon reading the microcoil thread and cotton ball wicks,I gave cotton another try and it's now my preferred way to use an RDA.

Again, check out that thread that a previous poster linked to and thank them later. :)

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Just FYI -
Some have used a machine screw rather than a drill bit...and wrapped the coil on the threads to get nice even spacing. IDK how that will work with your double-wicks though.

Of course, unscrew the screw to remove it from the coils.

Other guesses/info:
Leads = legs.
Sizzle - moisture/oils from hands or air.

Insomaniac10

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2012
Boston
One more thing I forgot to mention, that I think may be related:

With my seemingly weaker-performing coils, I've noticed a tendency for my atomizer body/shell to get fairly hot (not burning hot, but noticeable), whereas my better coils I don't notice that as much. Keep in mind, i always make sure the the coil is not touching any part of the atomizer body.

Any idea what would cause this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread