Rba?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2013
Lafayette, IN, USA
i haven't thought of that lol.. oh and i have no idea how big i'm supposed to drill. i'm a cloud chaser and would like to eventually move onto a mechanical for the sole purpose of producing a lot of vapor.

I get some pretty big plumes on a 0.4Ω coil, through an airflow hole drilled out to 3/32.

Peazy

Feb 20, 2013
Michigan
I get huge plumes on my aga t2 with awesome flavor. I drilled my wick hole to 7/32 and wrap my coil around a 5/32 drill bit. I use SS Mesh and wrap a thin layer of cotton around the top 3/4 of the wick... It helps to insulate the wick and eliminate all hot spots every time. It also helps wick like a beast and add flavor. The cotton fills the remaining wick hole. I just recently wrapped dual coils on a single wick aga t2 that ohms to .5... Wow! Monster clouds, great flavor. Love it. Here's some pics

uploadfromtaptalk1383791690355.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1383791722707.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1383791765556.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1383791742930.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1383791798666.jpg

CanOfBeans

Verified Member
Nov 6, 2013
Pacifica
This conversation is right up my alley! I have a rsst, an Igo-l, and a k100 on the way. My first of all three types. Thanks to all who've offered their advice and experience.

Peazy -- so, the cotton wrap-around goes all the way up through the coil? The only part that doesn't have cotton is the bottom 1/4? Interesting. Please elaborate if you can, really digging that last image.

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
Alright guys, I'm pretty sure things I will talk about has already been discussed. I have done some reading as well for the past 6 hours on batteries and what not.

Basically, I'm planning to get into mechanical mods in the very near future. In doing so, I want to test out the RBA's. I do have questions for both.

I'm currently using a VAMO V3 and the RBA's that I was looking into are:

AGA-T2/T3
A8
REO
RSST

I'm pretty much new at this stuff and I know that RSST is the most recommended for beginners in the RBA world. However, I get used to things very quickly so I'm not really too concerned about learning from one thing and then going onto the next purchase (If this is stupid, and I'm putting myself in some kind of risk, then let me know!! I can take criticism well =])

The price range I'm looking into is $50 and below (Preferably below $30). Now, the things I don't get is as follows:

1. When do you use a wick?
2. When do you use a mesh?
3. Do you use both or just one?
4. Advantages and disadvantages?
5. Which one should you used if you want to get the most vapor production? What about the wire gauge?
6. Can you use both wicks and mesh for a mechanical mod?

Thanks!!

All the other members posting have given you good advice. There are umpteen videos on you tube on coil building. I have used and built all those you mentioned and find the RSST the easiest . I didn't like the AGA-T too fussy for me. I personally like to use #325 or #400 SS mesh and 28 gauge flat Kanthal wire. You can get the Kanthal cheap cheap at Temco Power. Starting out just build a bunch of coils till you get the feel for it. One other suggestion is get a inexpensive multimeter at harbor freight or somewhere like that and learn to use it. Here's a video that although not for the attys you are looking at is very informative. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGsx69mA3aA
Another suggestion is to Read Baditudes blogs on battery safety and your first RBA; both excellent information and will lead you to think about other areas of interest.
Enjoy
PS If you find you like dripping there IMHO is no better vape than a Reo and a RM2 (reomizer).

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Peazy

Feb 20, 2013
Michigan
Peazy -- so, the cotton wrap-around goes all the way up through the coil? The only part that doesn't have cotton is the bottom 1/4? Interesting. Please elaborate if you can, really digging that last image.

Yeah, that's how I do it. You could wrap the whole thing or half or top quarter if you wanted.

I wrap 3/4 of the mesh wick because that leaves about 1/2" of cotton in the tank to help suck up the juice when the tanks getting low. If you go too low on the SS Mesh your cotton may start to unwrap from your mesh, especially towards the bottom. I kind of feather the cotton thinner at the bottom so it grips the mesh and thicken it up a little towards the top so the cotton is at a slight taper... Almost like a q-tip. I kinda roll it in my fingers to tighten the cotton on the mesh and help form it a bit. Then it threads right into the coils like a glove. If you need to replace cotton at some point, unthread and torch cotton off, rewrap cotton, dry burn coils, rethread new wick in coils and vape away... Quick and easy.

The main point is to insulate from the AGA t2 and to keep them coils wet, especially with duals. The cotton brings out more flavor and vapor but the mesh still provides that "cleaner"/crisp hit. I love it... If you try it, post back how you like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread