RDA has a quick spark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Let’s rephrase the question, since some don’t understand that this mech was a parallel setup with more than enough amps to go around...
A parallel setup doesn't actually double the amps. It's actually about 1 1/2 times the amps of a single battery mod. I hope you realize that and accounted for that amp loss in your Ohm's Law calculation.

Skip ahead in this video to 15:25 where this battery expert discusses parallel builds:

The problem with a 0.1 ohm build is it is only 0.1 ohm from a hard short (0.0 ohm). You've got no margin for error. ANY short in your mech setup puts you that much closer to having a battery venting or going into thermal runaway. The risk is less in a regulated mod because it has protection circuitry.

What I’m really trying to get at, is can I use this rda, if the build is safe, or should I throw it out because of the spark and just get a new one? Meaning I put a new build on it and all is good, or no, don’t use it joe because the spark might of done damage or something like that
No one on this forum can answer that question in good conscience. It could be extremely difficult to discern if there was a short from the coil, a faulty insulator, or a short from the mod's electrical path from the batteries to the 510 center pin.

before-you-open-the-gate-ask-vourselt-do-you-feel-8257740.png

If you're lucky, you could put a new coil on that RBA and not have any more issues.

If you're not, that setup could cause an explosion that results in major facial or hand reconstruction, costly repairs from fire damage, loss of work time from hospitalizations, etc.

DO YOU FEEL LUCKY TODAY? :unsure:

Last edited:

Joe Vito

Feb 13, 2018
I think you probably could. You won't know until you try it. If you have an ohm's meter, I would probably test fire on that for a bit, before putting it on anything.

It's kind of hard to say given that it's not entirely clear what is causing it, and etc. One spark shouldn't completely destroy an atomizer unless it's really amazing. I'd say build higher or a single coil if you can do that, and test it on your regulated mod if you don't have an ohm's reader. I think it would be safer than test firing it on a mech, let me put it that way. Honestly, and ohm's reader would be ideal, because you could inspect and test your build BEFORE you wick it, on a relatively safe piece of equipment. Otherwise, I personally would only test the atomizer on a regulated build, not a mech (regardless if it is one or two battery) so that will require a build that your regulated mod can actually READ even cold.

That would be my recommendation, to test the atomizer. But I don't think one spark should destroy it, the question is now whether this is going to be repeated and if so, what will happen. But no one can give you a 100% guarantee if it's safe or not. Etc.

Anna
Thanks Anna! I just ordered myself the original 521 tab...$69 but it’ll be worth it, the cheap mini tabs have given me nothing but problems.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Baditude said:
-I never heard of pulsing a coil to increase coil resistance. Sounds like some misinformation to me. One pulses a coil to remove/burn off any machine oil that may be present on the wire, or to soften the wire enough to reshape a homemade coil if need be​
You need to dry fire a new coil to eliminate hot-spots in a contact coil.
Buddy, you should do your homework before kicking someone's ...;)

Reactions: Joe Vito

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
Joe lots of very informative info given here to keep you and others safe and improving your vape experience. You may not have any idea how much energy is stored in the batteries we use in our mods, which if you read some battery wraps (certain Sony's) say "not to be used outside a battery pack" There is a reason they put this on the battery (liability disclaimer). Ohm's law applied properly will keep safe and satisfied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread