RDA or RBA ,what tank do you recommend and is it cost effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

djj1980

Jun 25, 2014
United Kingdom
After gaining superior knowledge over batteries from the members of the forum.:)

I am possibly looking at upgrading further in the near future due to cost of my rigs coils increasing over time:mad:. (not that the wife knows it yet):p

What do you recommend ?

What do you personally use?

Oxidised or not Oxidised?

What is the difference in the quality of vape? After all this is what matters.
Is it more cost effective in comparison to regular coils purchased of the shelf? as cost is always key:2c: along with Safety:evil:

Are there any draw backs to these kits?:unsure:

AND

Finally what equipment do you need?

I hope this thread will benefit me and others new to this form of MOD.

So please guys help us newbies, as the industry has boomed so quick and there is so much out there to confuse us.:confused:

Thanks for your help and pleasant:vapor:

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
i have 18 rdas and 4 rtas(kayfun, aqua, fogger and aios, no gennies) and I use my rdas 98% of the time

some people swear by the rdas like me but some see them as really inconvenient to keep dripping.

so on an objective view

rdas are much simpler to build and mantain, just need to drip pore often
rdas are smaller in size, that's a huge plus for me

rtas have much better liquid capacity
rtas are easy to build ok but much harder to build perfectly

genisis I have no info there to help you

I would recommend getting a rda to learn to build and if you think you would prefer a tank go with the kayfun style as they are simpler than the gennies

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
For me the Kayfun is top dog IMO easy to build and maintain cheap to build and maintain. Any RDA will be the same very inexpensive as apposed to the premade coils. I have Gennies as well and find those a little harder to build, but once you get it rite its gonna be awesome. Rite now my favorite is a kraken, I have built at .6 ohm, its producing vapor at 25watts nearly equal to many of the RDA cloud chasers at my local shops. Pretty much any RDA will do the trick but I fell in love with 2 I own, one is the zenith and the other is a caterpillar. the zenith I have is an authentic, but the clone I have of it vapes just as good. the caterpillar is made by smok also authentic and was very inexpensive.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Last edited:

lgustavus81

Jun 13, 2014
Houston TX
Just got my first rebuild able in yesterday. It's a Nimbus that I picked up new from eBay for $9.75 with free shipping. Had to take one of the coils off because my MVP didn't like both of them!:) my Coolfire 2 didn't seem to mind though:) only thing I need to do is drill the air holes out just a bit more due to the constrictive draw. Other than that I think it's a good starter to get familiar with!:)

sent from my damned S4!:)

Myxlpyxlx

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2014
Cherry Fork
Most clones are perfectly fine. Some are actually even better than the originals. Your atty choices aren't the same as battery choices. A bad battery is nothing but trouble, a bad atty is mostly just unenjoyable. I echo the rda over rta as a first in rebuilds. Learn coil construction with a fast turnover dripper before going to a long term tanking system. Besides drippers offering better flavor over the hassle of having to refill continuously, they will teach you the most important lesson of wicking.

As far as gear and materials there are a few must haves.
Gear
Ohms meter (very much a must)
Tweezers or pliers
Wire cutters (scissors and nail clippers work as the wire is thin)
A jig (something like a toothpick, drill bit, needle, anything round) best to have several different diameters
Materials
Kanthal or nichrome (I prefer kanthal doesn't muddle taste of juice) 28 gauge is a good learning size imo
Wicking material (I prefer cotton over silica or ekowool again doesn't muddle taste unless it gets burnt)
Patience to learn

Coil building is an art that really can't be mastered, only explored. When you learn how to build a coil you like on a dripper, then you know you can make one for a tank that will keep you happy.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
To the beginners out there.
There is a new solution called Vaping Donuts from fatdaddyvapes.com
It's super easy to build and if built properly it's really easy and a satisfying vape.

Mine is going on 3 weeks. I've changed the wicking once, although I just tried Rayon the celucotton stuff from Sally's so it'll be interesting to see how long it'll last.

Bikenstein

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
The Lab

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
My wife is still using the original head in a Kanger T3s she bought in January. It still performs like day one.

Yeah, my wife usually goes at LEAST 2 months between coils, and has used one for slightly over 4 months. And we only pay around $1.25 per coil for hers. In her case the savings doesn't justify the added hassle of having to break down an RBA and rewick it once a week.

As for me, I use RBAs about 95% of the time these days. The only time I use a clearo with a premade coil is when I'm driving.

AREA51

Sep 16, 2010
USA
To the beginners out there.
There is a new solution called Vaping Donuts from fatdaddyvapes.com
It's super easy to build and if built properly it's really easy and a satisfying vape.

Mine is going on 3 weeks. I've changed the wicking once, although I just tried Rayon the celucotton stuff from Sally's so it'll be interesting to see how long it'll last.

Nice pup photo! Mine is 12 now and still thinks she is a puppy.

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
with the Genesis style atomizers can you plug the fluid hole to prevent any leakage?????

Gennys are by far the most difficult to perfect, and some of the most satisfying when you get them right. I used a Pyrex RSST EXCLUSIVELY in and out of the house for a few months. Never had a single leak or a dry hit.

RSST is a great option for a newbie genesis person, because yes they do come with a fill plug. For me, this was the best way to get it working right. I did my SS wick hollow, and did a 2.4 ohm microcoil (8 or 9 wraps of 28 gauge kanthal) around the wick. Not a super hollow wick, but the idea behind keeping it hollow is that juice flows up the wick, and air flows down the hollow part of the wick. Its a balance. My RSST didn't do so hot with thick, syrupy stuff, and I have to vape 100% VG, so I diluted it with water. Flavor and vapor was perfect. I could crank up this 2.4 ohm build on my Provari to 6 volts and with the top cap drilled to 5/64", it was quite a performer. I could take very long, 15 second drags off it if I wanted to and it would keep up just fine. Blew through 2 and a half 18490s per day though.

To the OP:

100' of kanthal is about 9 bucks.
A box of Koh Gen Do cotton is about 12 bucks (much better than grocery store cotton). I got mine off the sephora website

I use about 4" of kanthal per build, but I waste a fair amount. If I rebuild every month or so... well do the math, its super cheap

My end all setup wound up being a Reo Grand with a modified Trident V2. The Trident is usually a dripper, but the Reo shoots juice up through the bottom of the dripper, therefore eliminating the need to drip. It actually is dripping without dripping. Its called Squonking!

This is mine

imsoenthused

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
In my opinion vapero reply, the first one in this thread, matches up with pretty much anything I'd say. I would say the vast majority of the time, I use a Patriot RDA if I'm not on the move, and a Kayfun or one of my genesis when I'm not. I wick every damn thing I own, including the genesis style tanks, with rayon fiber at this point. It has all the great taste delivery of stainless steel, it's as easy to work with as cotton, and it wicks like their are tiny little pumps hidden inside of it. I'm not half bad at making stainless steel genesis set ups, but once you go rayon all that work just seems like a freaking huge waste of time.

IMO "Kayfun style" RTAs are the way to go....roll of Kanthal wire and bag of cotton and you are pretty much done buying coils. The taste it delivers is 10 times better than ANY bottom or top feed china built coil with silica. Also, with Kayfuns/Russian91% you can build to around 1.0 to 1.4 Ohms and turn up the power and add warmth to your vape,which I really enjoy. Hope this helps:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread