Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I bought a gallon of PG, I already had a gallon of VG, and I bought 500ml of 100mg nic. That will be enough to keep me supplied for quite some time at 3ml of 12mg a day. However, no one's mentioned one of the best things about DIY. If I want to try a new flavor 5ml of conentrated flavoring is around $2. I can try all kinds of different stuff at those prices.

tsbrewers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2010
MN
www.facebook.com
I am going back and forth with this too. My favorite vender sells 30ml for under $8 every day price. Tons of flavors with tons of juice options. I can diy quite a bit cheaper, but to be honest, mine never taste near as good as the premixed stuff. I am assuming if I keep doing it myself, I will get better at it and be happier with the juice.

Brew

mrtiedye

Apr 1, 2011
Georgia
JD1 and tsbrewers, my first couple attempts weren't that great either. The great thing about DIY is if you screw it up, you can always add something to it or just pour it out and start over. It is so cheap, experimenting is not very costly at all. Make sure that after you mix it, shake it really good, then let it sit for at least 24 hours. Then, shake it some more and begin using it. If you don't let it sit, the individuals ingredients don't get blended so well, and you can end up with a mouthful of disaster. I mixed some cotton candy flavor when I first started, vaped it immediately after mixing, and it tasted like a dead skunk's ..... Now I have learned to let it sit, and it tastes more like cool, refreshing air with a hint of cotton candy sweetness.

P-Dub

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
Santa Rita,GU, USA
JD1 and tsbrewers, my first couple attempts weren't that great either. The great thing about DIY is if you screw it up, you can always add something to it or just pour it out and start over. It is so cheap, experimenting is not very costly at all. Make sure that after you mix it, shake it really good, then let it sit for at least 24 hours. Then, shake it some more and begin using it. If you don't let it sit, the individuals ingredients don't get blended so well, and you can end up with a mouthful of disaster. I mixed some cotton candy flavor when I first started, vaped it immediately after mixing, and it tasted like a dead skunk's ..... Now I have learned to let it sit, and it tastes more like cool, refreshing air with a hint of cotton candy sweetness.

I strongly advise against tasting a dead skunks ....... Just sayin'...

KJ22

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2011
Texas
If you buy in bulk (way larger than 60ml at a time) you get a much better set of numbers. I buy USP grade PG by the gallon for about $35, and USP grade VG for $2.50 for 6 ounces (180ml). I buy nic juice in bulk and on sale, too. The biggest expense of DIY for me is the $.65 plastic bottles and the flavoring. I can make 30ml of my favorite juice for about $3.00, too. Bulk is the secret...and sales. I order my flavoring directly from FlavourArt in Italy 120ml at a time. Waaaaay cheaper than any premixed stuff I've ever purchased from any vendor, even on sale.

BUT.....I have narrowed down my all-day vapes to a couple of flavors that I just love. If I were still searching for what I liked, I'd still be buying premixed.

check ebay for plastic bottles, I bought 25 bottles (the same one's you get 15ml premix in) for .99. I think it was about a dollar or so for shipping so....25 bottles for about 2 dollars.

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
I've done my own DIY from the empty bottle up. It's really cheap, it tastes good, and I can have the same flavor in several different strengths for use depending on what I'm in the mood for.

It's also a little bit of a PITA.

Most of what I do now is thinning premixes and blending premixes.
I buy 24mg/ml at double flavor strength and add VG to reduce it to 12 or 18.
I mix cherry with cinnamon for a kicky little flavor.
One nice thing is that while I'm saving money, I can use the juice right away without needing to let it steep.

Side note: the prices quoted by the OP are, in my experience, sky high. PG from MadVapes is about $5 for 120ml (when it's in stock). VG from Wally World is $2.50 for 177ml. I don't remember exactly what I paid the last time I bought nic-juice, but I'm sure it was about $10-14 for 60ml of 100mg/ml.

dkweston

Jul 27, 2010
Virginia
Theres some great premix out there but I like DIY.
My main vape is menthol and my DIY stuff is much, much cheaper than any of the premixes I've used and the taste...finally...is exactly what I was looking for.
I'm using crystals from wf-medical on ebay. The cost for 4 oz. is $7.73 plus $2.99 shipping. Four oz. is enough menthol to last you quite a spell. I shop around for vg/pg. Right now, I'm buying from Capella. Four oz bottles of vg or pg for $2.95. Their shipping is a bit high but the stuff seems to be top quality. Right now they have a $1 ground shipping special so I expect to stock up, big time.
If you like a sweeter vape, Tasty Vapor sells a good sweetner for $2 for 15 ml.
If you don't like menthol, there are tons of flavorings out there.
DIY is cheaper than premix but you also have the added bonus of being able to tweak the flavor to get exactly what you're looking for. Best of all, you actually know what's going into your lungs.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I probably should have done this previously. I need to point out that going in larger quantiies doesn't cost that much more initially but, it really knocks down your cost per ml.

1 gallon PG and VG would be high at $35 shipped. So, the cost for either comes down to 0.0093/ml. If you wait for a half price sale, you can get 100mg nic at Box Elder for around $95 for 500ml = 0.19/ml. The flavoring varies a lot more but, DIY can be a lot more cost effective than has been noted, if you go in quantity.

For the record, I'm not comfortable working with 100mg nic. What I do is put on gloves and dilute it to 50mg and with that. Then I don't feel like I'll need to call an ambulance if I get it on my skin. Either way, I always do my mixing in a place where I can wash quickly, if need be.

ShannonA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Tyler, Tx
I think I'd have a great time with DIY. I like to cook and I can't follow a recipe completely (meaning I have to add my own touch to everything I cook. I'm a fiddler) and goodness knows it's cheaper... but I'm not sure I have the time to learn it let alone do it. I'll probably visit the DIY forum soon to find out more about it and decide if it's for me. I've seen some yummy sounding recipes in the PIF forum.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
DIY juice and premixed juice is very cheap vs analog.
I only use DIY juice now.
Tough to finish a premixed juice you don't like; can take weeks.
It is also hard to mix tasty DIY sometimes but you can mix very small batches.
Can buy many flavors for cheap to get idea what you like.
I'm surprised which flavors I like; hard to predict.
I bought many glass 1 dram glass dripper bottles which are great for mixing ultra small batches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread