RDA question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budgie

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2018
Scotland
The question I would like to ask, and I mean no offence whatsoever to rda users, is, what is the advantage of an rda over a rta or rba? If you use x brand of juice that is very tasty in an rba/rta, will the taste improve if you are using the same coil and wicking stuff that you use in the rba/rta in an rda?

Reactions: stols001

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
It's a different animal so requires a different setup, and of course each RDA is different. However RDAs are usually considered to be the gold standard for flavour and general performance. Best thing is to get one and give it a try yourself.

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
Agree with the above but in all fairness there are disadvantages to. You either carry a bottle of juice everywhere you go or you buy a squonk mod. Around the house, no problem. Going down the road, PITA to drip. I do get a little better flavor from the right set-up in an RDA but its not a massive difference with a good tank set-up.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Okay, another question, average sort of vapist, not a chain vapist, how often would I have to drip between drawers?
That depends on your wick job, the amount of space for wicking in the RDA, the size of the juice well, and your coils and wattage you are running. But on average you can expect anywhere between 5-12 draws.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I want to mention that I find some flavors that work really well in my RTAs, don't always work well in my RDAs and the other way around. In most RDAs, the coils are close to your mouth, and most RTAs they are farther away. I feel this effects which flavors work better with each device. I tend to run stronger flavors in my tanks, and weaker ones in my drippers.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Any suggestions on a “beginner” rda? I’ve looked at the Digiflavour Drop, I like the look of it, also like the reviews it gets, but not fit for a novice I believe.

If your looking for a dual coil, I like the Bonza. I always hear good things about the Drop, but I personally do not like the airflow it has (but I have to say I believe I am a minority on that as I feel I may be the only person I know that doesn't like it) so I tossed it back into the package and tucked it away just in case I find someone that wants it later down the road. Either choice is fine for a novice to start with, both are easy to wick and to build on.

As for single coil, my top 3 are the GR1, Wasp nano, and Pulse 22. The Entheon is nice if you prefer a slightly tighter DL draw.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Oh yes.
Watching and reading a lot of reviews is a good. Also every atomiser has peculiarities that might not be apparent until you have built it a few times.

With RDAs I have found -

Wick tension/density in the coil is very important. Too tight and it will not wick properly, too loose and it may over wick.
Wicks should just touch the deck, don't feel like you have to fill the juice well. Leave space under your coils.
Coil position in relation to the airflow and the height in relation to the drip-tip is key vapour production and flavour.
Some atomisers favour the coils being slightly above the airflow, some directly in front of it.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
@Budgie if you want to find out the differences, well, you could try purchasing one of each. I actually started with RTAs and I'm glad I did. The main differences for me include: it's much harder to wick an RTA without leaking, especially at the start. It's one reason that RBAs are often recommended to start, as it's much harder to get leaking at first (not impossible, but WAY harder). It can be a good way to figure out coil building and wicking, which can be trickier in an RTA, especially wicking and not leaking.

I started with RTAs because the idea of dripping didn't appeal, that and the wide bore usually needed to drip, I just hate that type of drip tip. With that said, since you are considering buying two atomizers, why not try an RBA and an RTA. If the RTA gives you grief, well you can wait on setting it up.

Also, if you like the idea of an RBA and not dripping, there is always the option of a squonker kit, where a juice bottle is inside the mod and you "squeeze" instead of drip. I'm not there yet, although I'm sure at some point I will try squonking. Seems like more and more great options emerging in that area of vaping. I'm not necessarily suggesting it for right this second, but maybe down the line.

Best of luck,

Anna

Budgie

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2018
Scotland
stols001
The way things are going, it’s looking good that I’ll be returning back from uk in a few months with a suitcase full of vaping stuff, including rda’s of many The trouble is I know a couple of people who vape in Saudi, but none who have a rda for me to have a quick belt on to see if it’s what I want, but I can wait. I have rba’s and rta’s and I’m happy wicking them, I’m just very curious now about rda’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread