Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I've drilled the outlet air holes to ~2.7mm to match the inlets and like to build the coils so they are just slightly wider than the airholes. On a mech I target 0.7Ω, as this gives me the temperature of vapour I like in the 20-25 watt range over the course of the battery's discharge (3.8-4.2v).

My final build is always the same - dual 1.4Ω coils (0.7Ω effective) with 27ga Kanthal, exactly 3mm in diameter, spaced exactly 1mm above the holes (using a 1mm feeler) and parallel to the posts. Legs are 4mm total length, 3mm to pin. Wicked with 3.5mm strips of Japanese cotton, either Shiseido or Koh Gen Do.

This is my preferred setup for flavour. Once I dialed this in, I premade about 20 coils, trimmed, level, primed (fired and 'squeezed') and ready to install, so swaps are simple and quick.

I tried a single coil, and flavour was good, but the vapour wasn't satisfying. I also run the Magma without the air control ring entirely. With the widened air outlets, this has eliminated whistling and allows for a very smooth draw.

Ha! I have worn the Magma rings as rings (just for kicks), but other than that I got no use for them.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
I've drilled the outlet air holes to ~2.7mm to match the inlets and like to build the coils so they are just slightly wider than the airholes. On a mech I target 0.7Ω, as this gives me the temperature of vapour I like in the 20-25 watt range over the course of the battery's discharge (3.8-4.2v).

My final build is always the same - dual 1.4Ω coils (0.7Ω effective) with 27ga Kanthal, exactly 3mm in diameter, spaced exactly 1mm above the holes (using a 1mm feeler) and parallel to the posts. Legs are 4mm total length, 3mm to pin. Wicked with 3.5mm strips of Japanese cotton, either Shiseido or Koh Gen Do.

This is my preferred setup for flavour. Once I dialed this in, I premade about 20 coils, trimmed, level, primed (fired and 'squeezed') and ready to install, so swaps are simple and quick.

I tried a single coil, and flavour was good, but the vapour wasn't satisfying. I also run the Magma without the air control ring entirely. With the widened air outlets, this has eliminated whistling and allows for a very smooth draw.

Pictures? I'd like to see!

Ha! I have worn the Magma rings as rings (just for kicks), but other than that I got no use for them.

lol me too! I wear it all the time.

politbureau

Sep 24, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Pictures? I'd like to see!
Sorry for the crappy cell pic, but here ya go. Not much to see, sadly... except some beat up coils from repeated juice bottle hits :p

IMG_5595.jpg

politbureau

Sep 24, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I just wanted to make a quick note for those who are eschewing the airflow ring on the magma - there is a SERIOUS DANGER of shorting the two posts against the top cap if you do not use the ring. This is because the ring is actually taller than the threads on the magma body, and thus the top cap screws down lower once it is removed. I learned this the hard way when I shorted the posts early on, which dropped my resistance to 0.06 ohms and had me pulling close to 68A from my VCT5!

So if you decide to do this, PLEASE ensure your posts are low enough to avoid this. Screw the top cap down hard and test on an ohm meter before firing your build!!

I am just curious as to what people are using to drive the sub-ohm coils on the Magma. I have a hard time wrapping my head around this atomizer being useful at anything under 0.8 or so. My current setup is: 28ga 3/32 dual coil @ (about) 1.00 ohms, with cotton bacon wick. I have it sitting on my Hana v3, at 27.5 watts. At 5.3 volts, this thing kicks ridiculous flavor, and dense, thick clouds. I am not downing anyone's particular favorite method or setting, I am simply trying to understand the other side of the coin. I have plenty of drippers, and enjoy them immensely, but I will not be putting my Magma on anything other than a regulated device.

politbureau

Sep 24, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I am just curious as to what people are using to drive the sub-ohm coils on the Magma. I have a hard time wrapping my head around this atomizer being useful at anything under 0.8 or so. My current setup is: 28ga 3/32 dual coil @ (about) 1.00 ohms, with cotton bacon wick. I have it sitting on my Hana v3, at 27.5 watts. At 5.3 volts, this thing kicks ridiculous flavor, and dense, thick clouds. I am not downing anyone's particular favorite method or setting, I am simply trying to understand the other side of the coin. I have plenty of drippers, and enjoy them immensely, but I will not be putting my Magma on anything other than a regulated device.
I get my best results from a 0.7-0.8 ohm coil at 20-25 watts. Any more and the temperature of the vapour isn't to my liking. I run my magma on a straight mech - Infinite Stingray X with a VCT5, and ditch the battery around 3.7v or ~20w.

Remember, sub-ohm builds are really useful for mechanical users who don't have power control. You build your coil to a specific resistance so you can target your ideal power/heat setting in watts, based on battery voltage. If you have a regulated device, I don't personally see a need for sub-ohm builds. In fact, a nice long coil built with thin 30-32ga wire around 2 ohms is not only gonna give better battery life, but also be safer and heat up faster.

The flip side is that some of the esoteric coil builds like the tricro, dragon, diamond, etc, all generally turn out sub-ohm, especially when built in parallel.

Exactly, which is why, when I see people posting that they are building the Magma at such low resistances, I am wondering what it is they are using to power those builds with. I can see sub-ohming a tobh or a mutationx. Those attys are built for cloud chasing. The Magma, on the other hand is not. It just falls into the argument of how much power can be produced with a certain setup, and what ypu plan on accomplishing with said setup. I have my "cloud-chasing" builds, and I have my "flavor-chasing" builds as well. It just seems to be lost, more often than not, on the purpose and manner in which you reach a certain goal.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I just wanted to make a quick note for those who are eschewing the airflow ring on the magma - there is a SERIOUS DANGER of shorting the two posts against the top cap if you do not use the ring. This is because the ring is actually taller than the threads on the magma body, and thus the top cap screws down lower once it is removed. I learned this the hard way when I shorted the posts early on, which dropped my resistance to 0.06 ohms and had me pulling close to 68A from my VCT5!

So if you decide to do this, PLEASE ensure your posts are low enough to avoid this. Screw the top cap down hard and test on an ohm meter before firing your build!!

While I never realized why that happened (meaning the ring leaving more room), I am aware that it was a problem (meaning the issue with shorts). Great tip though. I forget that not everyone is using a device that will read "check atomizer" if something is wrong.

p.s. It's not just an issue of the top cap, but also a metal drip tip connection hitting the posts as well.

Frocket

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
north Carolina
I am just curious as to what people are using to drive the sub-ohm coils on the Magma. I have a hard time wrapping my head around this atomizer being useful at anything under 0.8 or so... I have plenty of drippers, and enjoy them immensely, but I will not be putting my Magma on anything other than a regulated device.

Since I've been using the IPV2 and Sigelei 100w, I haven't used a mech mod at all, even for 0.2 ohm Plume Veil builds.

To me, the Magma really shines on a regulated mod. I have a 0.6 ohm build with 26 gauge kanthal right now, running at 30-36 watts (4.3 - 4.7 v). I change the wattage within this range pretty often. Not just based on what juice is in it, but also based on what time of day it is, what mood I'm in, just at whim, pretty much.

The reason this particular atty shines on the regulated mod is that even a small change in wattage (0.5 watts or so) changes the flavor and vapor a bit. I like variety and control.

BOOM!

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Just finished vertical build on magma. 10 wraps of 30ga over 1.22 mandrel. Trimmed 2" from mandrel as mounting jig. Place coil on jig and inserted jig in air hole (on deck), tightened and adjusted leads placing ~1mm off of deck. Perfect micro coil i.e. contact coil (using gizmo) with resistance at 2.1ohms (long leads...).

Used two wicks (Cellucotton Rayon). First wick was U-shaped around outside bottom, then crossed with two ends going between posts and into tank. The second wick was a U-shape around the top inside of coil with ends pointing to edge of the deck, crossed and then into tank wells.

At 8.4 watts on DNA30. Fogs like a SOB, and lots of flavor subtleties. Not hot, no dry hits and NO leaking. Though does empty the juice well in 4-5 draws! And need to halve my nic. Typically use 2mm airholes, but set to 3mm as airflow is controlled through micro coil.

Poor picture due to webcam; photographed thru magnifying glass.
2014-10-17 16-21-24.459.jpg

Post if you try!

Attachments

• 382078d1413581422t-fun-26g-coil-builds-2014-10-17-16-21-24.459.jpg
    382078d1413581422t-fun-26g-coil-builds-2014-10-17-16-21-24.459.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 914
Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Just finished vertical build on magma. 10 wraps of 30ga over 1.22 mandrel. Trimmed 2" from mandrel as mounting jig. Place coil on jig and inserted jig in air hole (on deck), tightened and adjusted leads placing ~1mm off of deck. Perfect micro coil i.e. contact coil (using gizmo) with resistance at 2.1ohms (long leads...).

Used two wicks (Cellucotton Rayon). First wick was U-shaped around outside bottom, then crossed with two ends going between posts and into tank. The second wick was a U-shape around the top inside of coil with ends pointing to edge of the deck, crossed and then into tank wells.

At 8.4 watts on DNA30. Fogs like a SOB, and lots of flavor subtleties. Not hot, no dry hits and NO leaking. Though does empty the juice well in 4-5 draws! And need to halve my nic. Typically use 2mm airholes, but set to 3mm as airflow is controlled through micro coil.

Poor picture due to webcam; photographed thru magnifying glass.
View attachment 382085

Post if you try!

Fantastic description and great job! I would love to see a step-by-step of the wicking, but your details are pretty easy to understand. I think I will try this. Any reason you didn't go with a DC?

Edit: just tried it, though yet to vape it. I see now why it's a single coil build.

Last edited:

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Fantastic description and great job! I would love to see a step-by-step of the wicking, but your details are pretty easy to understand. I think I will try this. Any reason you didn't go with a DC?

Edit: just tried it, though yet to vape it. I see now why it's a single coil build.

Thanks! Yes, don't like the dry hits and had concerns about wicking to a vertical coil. This is why there are four ends/wicks tapping into the drip well. Might be overkill -- but also might be impossible to get a dry hit till well runs dry. ;)

I actually prefer the single coils. Vape and flavor production seem almost the same and build is easier, quicker and more consistent. With doubles, I always seem to have one coil that runs slightly hotter due to leads, etc.

Want to try this build on larger mandrel; waiting on some music wire. Would love to get your thoughts!

Frocket

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
north Carolina
My Magma often has one coil that heats up slightly faster, but probably because the positive post hole is angled a bit funny. On one side, the positive post hole points towards the airflow, and on the other side it's angled away from the airflow. Makes it a PITA to get the leads the same on both coils.

Wicking seems to have more of an effect in heat up between the two coils, though. After a dry burn and rewick, it seems to be a little uneven. I use rayon, and the wicks are usually white and dry before getting a dry hit, but one wick isn't drying as much.

BOOM!

Never Lift

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
westchester NY
I only use single coil mode on the largest air hole and do mouth to lung hits. 5 wrap parallel around a 2.5mm bit 24g and 30g kanthal .3ohms super fast heat up with lots of vapor and flavor. Another great magma build is a 5 wrap parallel 28g come out to .5ohms .
Magma tip- always add a little cotton between the post, it dam near eliminates leaking out the air hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread