The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Rda vs rba

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomizer Systems' started by MrsWood, Feb 2, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. MrsWood

MrsWood Senior Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Y'all I need help! *I have been educated and now feel like an idiot* I left my original post figuring some of you would laugh at it and my general lack of understanding...because if someone does get a laugh out of it my post was not in vain! I also added a new question to the top of my original.

So to everyone else I have now learned the difference.

Okay now that I somewhat understand. Which RBA would y'all suggest and with what tank. Is there a combination that would work with either of the mods I currently have(preferably the kbox)?

Original Post: (insert face palm here)
    RDA vs RBA which is better in your opinion and why?

Also what brand should I get?

I tend to prefer tank size between 2.5ml and 3.5 ml. I will go larger if needed.

I also like to vape in both wattage(around 33w) and tc(between 400-450). I am also MTL(if I remember right this is what smokers prefer - please correct me if I am wrong).

I'm not a cloud chaser but I do like to see some vapor.

I do tend to like some darker colored eliquids(not often though). I am also a fan of high VG(at least 70vg/30pg).

Currently I don't have any fancy mods just newbie mods. I have an itaste mvp pro 3.0 - 60w(this needs a new tank) and tomorrow I will have a 50w Kangertech kbox.

I tend to prefer 0.4Ω - 0.6Ω.

Whatever I get would need to work on these mods until I upgrade which will be sometime within the next couple of months hopefully sooner if my friend decides to part with her mod.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tonee N

Tonee N Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    RDA's and RBA's are not tanks, the RDA you just drip liquid onto and RBA's are rebuildable decks that go inside certain tanks.
    Hth

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MrsWood

MrsWood Senior Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Thank you! Now I feel like an idiot and have truly earned my newbie status. As one of those annoying people on a forum that ask uneducated questions. Wonderful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Tonee N

Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    You're asking all the right questions so don't worry. We all started somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. MrsWood

MrsWood Senior Member

Jan 30, 2018
    @Tonee N In short I want good flavor and want to save money on consistently buying coils. Would I be better off just looking at rebuildable coils or an RBA? (my wife has the brains and ability to rebuild and already understands so she would be handling that for me until I understand!)

• Like Like x 3
  6. Tonee N

Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    If you are a MTL user you could always go with the Aspire Nautilus 2 or get a MTL RTA since your wife knows how to build(i.e Vandy Vape Bezerker). Another tank that uses 0.5ohm coils that can be used as an MTL/DTL is the Freemax Starre Pure, great flavor, topfil/top airflow, ceramic house kanthal coils.
    Hth

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. MrsWood

MrsWood Senior Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Thank you! I will be looking those up.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Tonee N

Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    No problem, others will chime in with suggestions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. MrsWood

MrsWood Senior Member

Jan 30, 2018
    @Tonee N is there a certain VG/PG ratio that is easier on coils higher vg than pg, preferably. To me high pg feels like vaping finely shattered glass.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Tonee N

Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    PG is what gives the throat hit and holds the majority of the flavor. 50/50 is easy on coils but it also depends if the liquid is sweet, the sweetner is what kills the coils quicker. VG is going to be what produces more cloud. If you are just replacing cotton, as in a RTA, then it really would not be an issue since cotton is cheap.
    So if you don't want as much throat hit go with a 70/30 or 80/20(VG/PG)

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. MrsWood

MrsWood Senior Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Awesome, thank you! So RTA is what I really need to look at since I prefer high VG. I'm not really a fan of sweet vape flavors and lean more towards tobacco flavors. I will be doing DIY soon and will be trying some sweet flavors then as well as making them for my wife.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Tonee N

Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    Np,
    It's always nice to have a backup tank if you are using a RTA. You will just need to find one that fits your vaping preference(easier said than done I know). I always have a tank that I can walk into any B&M and get a coil for.
    Or 5. Lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. MrsWood

MrsWood Senior Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Lol yes this would be good. I have one mod right now as a back uo but no back up tank...rendering the mod useless. I mean itnhas a tank but nowhere carries the coil. I just need to buy an extra tank or 3!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. 93gc40

93gc40 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 5, 2014
    California
    Actually ALL atomizers with a Rebuildable coil are RBA...Rebuildable Base Atomizer. RDA is a dripper. RTA is any tank but used to describe those with coil inside the tank.and RDTA is basically a dripper siting on top of a tank.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Tonee N

Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    But it is a section added to a tank, atleast from all the ones I have owned. They either come with the tank or are sold separately(Smok TFV8/12/Prince)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    @MrsWood , I get that same sensation from too high PG, I am sensitive to it. I don't use more than about 6% usually (mainly in flavorings that aren't VG based) and I can tolerate that, but anything much higher, I can't vape.

You can raise your VG content, and either Distilled Water (usually not more than 10% for best effect) and you can also use PEG400, which is a different variant of PG, well not really a variant, but it does possess many of the same qualities and will reduce the thickeness and gloopiness of a high VG vape in a small MTL tank. I bought a small quantity to test from Amazon, just get USP grade. It's not mirilax, which is PEGsomeothernumber, but I did find it helpful in thinning my vape, I was getting sick of my high VG clouds, and even 10% DW was not thinning "enough" IMO.

Just, there are other things you can use to thin your vape if high VG becomes a problem for any reason.

I HATE high PG, it gives me lung issues if I vape much of it and vaping HURTS when I use it, which isn't really an incentive to vape.

Anna

17. 93gc40

93gc40 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 5, 2014
    California
    Yes you can get RBA coilheads for some clearomizer/subohm tanks....

Is OK to be confused... vaping has grown so fast many of the descriptive terms haven't kept up.

Is like the facination with OHM rate which really has no bearing on regulated vaping....Unless you exceed min or max fire rate. And then the mod just won't fire.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  18. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    No Need to feel like a idiot. Because the Terms we use have sometimes Blurred Meanings.

In most cases...

RDA = Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer with No Tank. Just a Well to hold the Wick and a small amount of e-Liquid. You put the e-Liquid in by Dripping 4 or 5 Drops onto the Coil thru the Drip Tip. Then after 4 or 5 Hits, you have to Drip some more e-Liquid into the RDA or it will run dry.

RTA = Rebuildable Tank Atomizer. Has a Tank to Hold e-Liquid. It can't use replaceable Coil Heads. And the Rebuildable Deck is Fixed to the Atomizer Base.

Coil Head Tank. Has a Tank to hold e-Liquid. But it wasn't designed to be Rebuilt. When the Coil Head gets old, you replace the Entire Coil Head.

RBA Section. A Rebuildable Coil Head that can be used in a Tank that either tanks Coil Heads or a RBA Section. A good example of a Tank that can use either a Coil Head or an RBA Section is the Kanger SubTank or TopTank Mini.

[​IMG]

In this picture, the Coil Head is on the Far Left. And the RBA Section is next to it.

Hears a Close Up of the RBA Section...

[​IMG]

Coil Head tanks (IMO) can give Good Hits. But not as Good (on average) to a RTA or a Tank running an RBA Section. But they are Very Easy to Use. Just Swap Out the Coil Head when it get Old with a New One. But this can Also be kinda Expensive.

RTA Tanks and Coil Head Tanks using an RBA Section (IMO) give Better Hits. And are MUCH Cheaper to use. You can also Fine Tune the Hit you get by the type of Coil Build you put into them.

RDA's (IMO) give the Best Hit. But are kinda a PITA in that they do Not have a Tank. So you Constantly have to Drip e-Liquid into them. They also are somewhat Awkward as on an On-the-Go setup. Because you need to Carry a Bottle to drip with. And they can be a Major Distraction while Driving.

That is why "Squonking" has become so Popular with Many People. Because a Squonk Mod has a Built In Bottle of e-Liquid in the Mod. And when the e-Liquid Bottle is Squeezed, the e-Liquid if Forced up a Tube thru a tube into a Hollow 510 Connection in the RDA. So you Don't need to have a Dripper Bottle and Drip e-Liquid into the RDA thru the Drip Tip.

For someone just starting out, a Coil Head Tank is not bad call. Because they are so easy to use and can be Less Frustrating sometimes.

For someone who is Past the Initial Pain of quitting smoking, a RTA or Tank with a RBA Section or an RDA is a Good thing to Try. Because (IMO) they hit better. And Learning to Build Coils is Easier when you are Not going thru Smoking Withdraws.

I kinda Glazed over some things. And there might be some Exceptions to all this. But for the Most Part I hope this gives you a Better Idea of what is out there.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Letitia

Letitia Therion/Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    If you take the rta route I would suggest an OBS Crius 2, 3.5ml, top fill, easy deck/wick to learn on, and good flavor/af. The OBS Engine Nano, 5ml, top af=no leaks, good flavor/af, and also an easy learning curve.

• Like Like x 1
  20. KenD

KenD Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    RBA = Rebuildable atomizer. Any type of atomizer meant to be rebuilt, be it rda, rta, or rdta
    RTA = Rebuildable tank atomizer
    RDA = Rebuildable dripping atomizer
    RDTA = Rebuildable dripping tank atomizer. Really a marketing term introduced by Steamcrave to describe the "RDA-quality flavour" if their Aromamizer RTA, later used for RTAs with the tank beneath the coils (also in order to market the "RDA-quality flavour")
    RBA head = Rebuildable coil head for clearomizer (which for some reason no longer go by the name clearomizer)

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.