Rda vs rba

Status
Not open for further replies.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
RBA = Rebuildable atomizer. Any type of atomizer meant to be rebuilt, be it rda, rta, or rdta
RTA = Rebuildable tank atomizer
RDA = Rebuildable dripping atomizer
RDTA = Rebuildable dripping tank atomizer. Really a marketing term introduced by Steamcrave to describe the "RDA-quality flavour" if their Aromamizer RTA, later used for RTAs with the tank beneath the coils (also in order to market the "RDA-quality flavour")
RBA head = Rebuildable coil head for clearomizer (which for some reason no longer go by the name clearomizer)

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk
Clearomizer was replaced by the subohm atomizer or tank. Another marketing gimmick.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Clearomizer was replaced by the subohm atomizer or tank. Another marketing gimmick.

Yup, exactly. They're still clearomizers to me. Also hate how people misuse "sub-ohm" to always mean high-wattage.

MrsWood

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2018
No Need to feel like a idiot. Because the Terms we use have sometimes Blurred Meanings.

In most cases...

RDA = Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer with No Tank. Just a Well to hold the Wick and a small amount of e-Liquid. You put the e-Liquid in by Dripping 4 or 5 Drops onto the Coil thru the Drip Tip. Then after 4 or 5 Hits, you have to Drip some more e-Liquid into the RDA or it will run dry.

RTA = Rebuildable Tank Atomizer. Has a Tank to Hold e-Liquid. It can't use replaceable Coil Heads. And the Rebuildable Deck is Fixed to the Atomizer Base.

Coil Head Tank. Has a Tank to hold e-Liquid. But it wasn't designed to be Rebuilt. When the Coil Head gets old, you replace the Entire Coil Head.

RBA Section. A Rebuildable Coil Head that can be used in a Tank that either tanks Coil Heads or a RBA Section. A good example of a Tank that can use either a Coil Head or an RBA Section is the Kanger SubTank or TopTank Mini.

4086101-17.jpg

In this picture, the Coil Head is on the Far Left. And the RBA Section is next to it.

Hears a Close Up of the RBA Section...

4507001-4.jpg

Coil Head tanks (IMO) can give Good Hits. But not as Good (on average) to a RTA or a Tank running an RBA Section. But they are Very Easy to Use. Just Swap Out the Coil Head when it get Old with a New One. But this can Also be kinda Expensive.

RTA Tanks and Coil Head Tanks using an RBA Section (IMO) give Better Hits. And are MUCH Cheaper to use. You can also Fine Tune the Hit you get by the type of Coil Build you put into them.

RDA's (IMO) give the Best Hit. But are kinda a PITA in that they do Not have a Tank. So you Constantly have to Drip e-Liquid into them. They also are somewhat Awkward as on an On-the-Go setup. Because you need to Carry a Bottle to drip with. And they can be a Major Distraction while Driving.

That is why "Squonking" has become so Popular with Many People. Because a Squonk Mod has a Built In Bottle of e-Liquid in the Mod. And when the e-Liquid Bottle is Squeezed, the e-Liquid if Forced up a Tube thru a tube into a Hollow 510 Connection in the RDA. So you Don't need to have a Dripper Bottle and Drip e-Liquid into the RDA thru the Drip Tip.

For someone just starting out, a Coil Head Tank is not bad call. Because they are so easy to use and can be Less Frustrating sometimes.

For someone who is Past the Initial Pain of quitting smoking, a RTA or Tank with a RBA Section or an RDA is a Good thing to Try. Because (IMO) they hit better. And Learning to Build Coils is Easier when you are Not going thru Smoking Withdraws.

I kinda Glazed over some things. And there might be some Exceptions to all this. But for the Most Part I hope this gives you a Better Idea of what is out there.

If you take the rta route I would suggest an OBS Crius 2, 3.5ml, top fill, easy deck/wick to learn on, and good flavor/af. The OBS Engine Nano, 5ml, top af=no leaks, good flavor/af, and also an easy learning curve.

RBA = Rebuildable atomizer. Any type of atomizer meant to be rebuilt, be it rda, rta, or rdta
RTA = Rebuildable tank atomizer
RDA = Rebuildable dripping atomizer
RDTA = Rebuildable dripping tank atomizer. Really a marketing term introduced by Steamcrave to describe the "RDA-quality flavour" if their Aromamizer RTA, later used for RTAs with the tank beneath the coils (also in order to market the "RDA-quality flavour")
RBA head = Rebuildable coil head for clearomizer (which for some reason no longer go by the name clearomizer)

Thank you all for the information and for the pictures as well! My new mod got here today(well new to me) my brother sent me his kbox mini and it came with an RBA tiny screwdriver two rebuilt coils and some cotton wicking! I haven't had much of a chance to check it out as of yet but will definitely be looking at it tomorrow as well as watching some YouTube!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Yup, exactly. They're still clearomizers to me. Also hate how people misuse "sub-ohm" to always mean high-wattage.

Clearomizer, to me, is another Confusing term. Because Most don't know where the term even came from. Or what it was describing.

This... was the 1st "Clearomizer". The Royal Smoker CE2.

510-CE2%20Clearomizer-600x600.jpg

The CE2 evolved from the E2 which had a Metal Tube.

E2 Cartomizer Technical Discussion

And the term Clearomizer came out of this thread...

NEW RoyalSmokers C-E2 R4 Review, Tips, Info, Help, Video

Because just like the E2 was Mis-Branded as a "Cartomizer", which it wasn't, the CE2 was branded by Royal Smokers as a Cartomizer also. So like people started to call them Clearomizers.

Later, with the Release of the CE4...

CE4PV2-2.jpg

... a bottom coil CE2, the Term Clearomizer or "Clearo" became entrenched because OEM's started to call their Products Clearomizers also.

One of the Key Features of a Clearomizer was that it had a Clear Body, Duh... LOL. But also that it wasn't designed to be Rebuilt or have a Removable "Tank" for refilling.

So when the Next Wave of innovation came, Bigger Diameter Atomizers designed to be use with Coil Heads or a Rebuildable Decks with Removable Tank for Refilling, the term Clearomizer was pretty much Dropped.

And people started to call them Tanks or RTA's.

Anyway, most people Today have probably Never used (or even seen) a Clearomizer. So most of this is more just Tripping on Memory Lane.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Awesome, thank you! So RTA is what I really need to look at since I prefer high VG. I'm not really a fan of sweet vape flavors and lean more towards tobacco flavors. I will be doing DIY soon and will be trying some sweet flavors then as well as making them for my wife.
Hey just wanted to give you a heads up. I also love a sweet tobacco vape and found a fabulous flavor for that. Nicotine river has purilum flavoring called sweet tobacco that you have to try. I’ve been diy my juice for several years now and this stuff is terrific. I mix it at 7% and add Inawera gold ducat at 3% but it just adds more tobacco so you can do what you want with that. When your ready to diy just keep that in mind and I get all my stuff from nicotine river so keep that in mind. Great prices on all the diy supplies.

MrsWood

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2018
Hey just wanted to give you a heads up. I also love a sweet tobacco vape and found a fabulous flavor for that. Nicotine river has purilum flavoring called sweet tobacco that you have to try. I’ve been diy my juice for several years now and this stuff is terrific. I mix it at 7% and add Inawera gold ducat at 3% but it just adds more tobacco so you can do what you want with that. When your ready to diy just keep that in mind and I get all my stuff from nicotine river so keep that in mind. Great prices on all the diy supplies.

Thank you! I do enjoy my tobacco flavors more so that almost any flavored ejuice I've tried. However, as I get further away from my smoking days and more into vaping, I'm finding that I do enjoy a few non-tobacco flavors! I switch up my juice quite a bit throughout the day and at some point always end up back on a tobacco flavor.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

I've been a sub ohm MTL vaper for a long time. 10W to 13W is my heat range at .5 to .8 ohms. Airflow is what it takes to vape high wattage on a single coil or dual coil atomizer. If you can't get the airflow through the deck it's not going to stay cool enough to vape at 50, 100, or higher watts. It's also not going to produce those huge clouds that some vapers seem to crave.

.8 ohms on a good MTL tank is my favorite range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread