Read this first

Status
Not open for further replies.
And to think of how many cigarette butts I've just casually tossed out the window of my car? Or even in the landfills?!?!?!?! I agree - YIKES!

Yes, HOWEVER, nicotine oxidizes readily and denatures rapidly, leaving no residue. It's why soluble nicotine it is most commonly used as a pesticide in South America and Asia.

BUT IT IS ONE OF THE MOST DEADLY ORGANIC POISONS ON THE PLANET and kills more readily by absorbtion through the skin than when ingested.

I don't want to say anything that remotely suggests it isn't damned deadly. But ease your conscience about those butts.

a cig *usually* contains +/-12mg of nic. Of course, this can vary. (The heavy stuff from holland i used to smoke..i would'nt be surprised it containing 20mg or even 25mg. :) But for an avg cig we can use 12mg

The LD (lethal dose) for a human is roughly 0.88mg/kg body weight. Let's take an average ADULT 75ks/160lbs....making a lethal dosis 66mg for an adult. (lower amounts apply for kids of course).

So in other words, those stories of parents who made their kids EAT an a whole pack of cigerettes after they learned they were smoking is entirely B.S. then right? Because at the 66mg dose being lethal, I would have to believe that an entire pack of smokes being consumed by a kid would be deadly by about - 4 times over then. Would that be safe to assume? Or am I missing something here...

I had to ask from this description - because I remember a friend of mines dad telling us (years ago) that his father made him eat a pack of Lucky Strikes as a kid... Total BS then? All this time, I believed it... LOL

Wasur

Aug 15, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
There is enough raw nicotine in one cigarette to kill several people. Most of it is destroyed in the burning process.

Yup I was an Executive Chef in Northern Illinois many eon's ago. I remember all too well them teaching us that in food service sanitation certification classes. They said dont set your cig's on the food contact surfaces cause there is enough Nic to kill 3 or 4 full grown Adults and several children. Man we've come along way since then. If you use common sence, proper equipment and sanitation measures. I would say its safer than smoking analogs though. But just my opinion and if you have any reservations buy your e-liquid pre mixed. Excellent post, Thank you.

Peace,
Wasur :toast:

Chris41279

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2010
Armpit of America, New Jersey
Wow, ok, so i was so close to buying an entire DIY Master Kit tonight, until i read this thread. I have 2 young children, 14 mo old and 5 yrs old. And the fact that if i was to spill it on my skin, i could be dead? That's crazy. Someone said that this post is over-exaggerated? Is that true, or should i just stay away from DIY? I was going to get 60ml of 36mg nic juice with the kit i was going to buy. Someone said to have the right equipment, what would that be? Possible to get a fast response from anyone with the proper knowledge?

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
I am a GUY from L.A. not girl. lol
Wow, ok, so i was so close to buying an entire DIY Master Kit tonight, until i read this thread. I have 2 young children, 14 mo old and 5 yrs old. And the fact that if i was to spill it on my skin, i could be dead? That's crazy. Someone said that this post is over-exaggerated? Is that true, or should i just stay away from DIY? I was going to get 60ml of 36mg nic juice with the kit i was going to buy. Someone said to have the right equipment, what would that be? Possible to get a fast response from anyone with the proper knowledge?

36mg juice is not that strong. The cautions are mostley for e-juice higher than 50mg. In fact, I vape 36mg all the time, and have had it on my skin many times. The only thing is that it would be VERY important to keep any e-juice out of the hands of the kids(even lower strendth). And you probably would want to be cautious about washing your hands after mixing, filling or even vaping before handling the kids or their toys/food etc.. Just normal precautions.

Chris41279

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2010
36mg juice is not that strong. The cautions are mostley for e-juice higher than 50mg. In fact, I vape 36mg all the time, and have had it on my skin many times. The only thing is that it would be VERY important to keep any e-juice out of the hands of the kids(even lower strendth). And you probably would want to be cautious about washing your hands after mixing, filling or even vaping before handling the kids or their toys/food etc.. Just normal precautions.

I guess i didnt do my research well enough to begin with. I was unaware it was that dangerous. I appreciate the super fast response!! If im going to do this i think im going to get a safe to store the stuff in. Just one of those small ones from walmart or something. Now to figure out if i want pure VG or a mix.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
I guess i didnt do my research well enough to begin with. I was unaware it was that dangerous. I appreciate the super fast response!! If im going to do this i think im going to get a safe to store the stuff in. Just one of those small ones from walmart or something. Now to figure out if i want pure VG or a mix.

It's not THAT dangerous, it's just best to err on the side of caution. In small doses it could make a child sick. I would just be carefull about it.

Chris41279

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2010
It's not THAT dangerous, it's just best to err on the side of caution. In small doses it could make a child sick. I would just be carefull about it.

Still going to be safe and store it in a safe... too many "safe's" in that sentence lol.

Plus they say keeping it in a cool dry place helps, so that would be even better.

Do you know if its best to have pure VG, or should it almost always be mixed with PG? This is something i had a hard time finding out.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Still going to be safe and store it in a safe... too many "safe's" in that sentence lol.

Plus they say keeping it in a cool dry place helps, so that would be even better.

Do you know if its best to have pure VG, or should it almost always be mixed with PG? This is something i had a hard time finding out.

I mix my own w/ pure VG. Others use pure PG, and some combine the two. It is a matter of prefference only.

Blaze

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Kentucky

You have to realize that the only chemical in that kit that poses a real risk is the nicotine (PG, VG, and flavorings are regarded as safe, and from time to time I even use VG on my hands when they are severely cracked from drying out :)).

That having been said, as long as proper precautions are taken (proper location (your kitchen counter prolly should not be thought of as counting for a proper place to DIY), proper PPE, proper disposal of used equipment, proper storage of chems not in use, and proper clean up afterwards), DIY is relatively safe.

However, you must always take into account that accidents can and will happen. I myself have had in upwards of 50-60mg strength nic spilled on bare skin, and even tho I was able to clean up very quickly, it still made me a bit sick to my stomach and gave me a bit of the "swimmy head". The original post was spot on: Nic is/should be treated as exactly what it is, which is a very potent toxin, and you should respect it as such.

The biggest piece of advice I could possibly give to any would-be DIY'ers is if you have ANY doubts at all about your ability to maintain safe practices whilst mixing beyond the "I've never done this before jitters", it would probably be best to stick with pre-made juices.

Matthis1

ECF Veteran
I made my very first DIY bottle of chocolate juice last night. We have a 3 year old in the house (my grandson), and I just did all the things I used to do when I was smoking analogs....run him outta my room! Now, I followed the instructions but that chocolate still doesn't taste right to me, so I'll let it steep for a few days. As far as safety goes, I wore gloves till I was done, and then washed my hands just as I would after handling anything toxic. I think using a little common sense when you are doing your mixes will go a long way. There's no reason to be afraid of DIY juices IMHO.

Matthis1

ECF Veteran
I've been DIYing it now for about 3 weeks. I don't have a background in chemistry, but I have had hazardous training when I worked for places like Wal Mart. I think making your own juice is very straight as long as you take a few simple precautions. I cover my workspace, make sure that there are no grandchildren in the house when I DIY, and wear non-latex gloves. Latex gloves would also be fine, I just happened to buy the non-latex ones. IMHO, a little common sense and following instructions exactly makes DIY safe. Furthermore, I like the flavors of the juices I make better than the ones I buy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread