Really ridiculous Newbie question about Kanger Subox Nano

Status
Not open for further replies.

inkjen2003

Sep 28, 2015
Apologies in advance....I am VERY new to mods so I'm having trouble understanding a good bit of info that is out there. I just purchased a Kanger subox Nano (I was actually one of the unlucky ones that had an Ego blow up on me, scary stuff!). So long story short...I've tried to research everything and get the "safest" one possible, with all the cutoffs etc, as well as IMR batteries and Nitecore charger. So....i keep reading about voltage...and am super confused. If I am understanding correctly....there is voltage as in how many volts are left on the battery....and volts as far as firing resistance? The display on the Kanger has a battery display like you would find on a cell phone...mine is at a little more than half (I took it out and checked it on the charger and its saying battery is at 85%). The display showing volts says 0.0v, but changes when firing. Yesterday, I had wattage at 20w and it showed 3.4V....this morning my throat was a bit sore, so I lowered watts to 16w, and the voltage went to 3.0V. I keep reading stuff about bad voltage drops and wasnt sure if THIS is what they are talking about? Or just related to battery volts....or is it all the same? Like I said, I am SUPER confused, and scared of having another battery blow up in my hands because, yeah, that just wasnt cool at all :(

When you change the wattage, it changes the voltage. Learn Ohm's Law and it will help you greatly. The variance in how many volts your battery is putting out does change based on charge, but that isn't something you will have to worry about using a non-mechanical mod. The circuitry of the mod is regulating the voltage output based on your chosen wattage.

inkjen2003

Sep 28, 2015
When you change the wattage, it changes the voltage. Learn Ohm's Law and it will help you greatly. The variance in how many volts your battery is putting out does change based on charge, but that isn't something you will have to worry about using a non-mechanical mod. The circuitry of the mod is regulating the voltage output based on your chosen wattage.

Thanks so much for clarifying, that was kind of how I was understanding it but wanted to make sure. I've actually tried to get a graps on Ohm's Law and my eyes crossed...I'm very science-hindered :(

Vi-NG

Verified Member
Sep 20, 2015
Hi @inkjen2003
welcome to ECF! Great pick with the Kanger Subox Nano. Have a look HERE
You will see that you Mod max out to 12A at 50 Watts, so even if knowing Ohm Law is paramount for safety with your mod as long as you got good battery (I recommend IMR, INR Samsung, LG - only these two brand for a variety of reasons), keep reasonably low the charging Amps on your charger (I like to charge mine at 0.5 A), and use the stock coils or the RBA you not only will be perfectly safe but you will also get a great vaping experience.. and the battery will last (as life spam) longer... :) Vape on, and enjoy your new mod!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks so much for clarifying, that was kind of how I was understanding it but wanted to make sure. I've actually tried to get a graps on Ohm's Law and my eyes crossed...I'm very science-hindered :(

Here is the Equation for Wattage.

Wattage = (Volts x Volts) / Ohms

Yikes! Math. ( Don't worry. We're not going to do Much Math.)

Doesn't Really matter at this Point if you understand what a Watt is. Or what a Volt or Ohm is. The Key is it is an Equation. So the stuff of the Left of the Equal Sign ALWAYS has to Equal the stuff on the Right of the Equation.

So look at the Equation again…

There is One Thing that Doesn't change when you are using an Atomizer on your Mod. And that is the Ohms. You Might buy .5 Ohms coil Heads. Or you Might buy some Other Ohm coil head. But the Thing to Remember is the Ohms, the Resistance, for the Coil doesn't Change. Unless you physically Change to a Different Ohm Coil.

So getting back to that Watt equation.

Since the Ohms Don't Change, then the Only thing that Does change when you use an e-Cigarette is the Watts and the Volts.

So say the set your Mod to 20 Watts. What the Mod does is checks the Ohms of your Coil and then puts that value into the Watt Equation. Say the Ohms of the coil you are using is .57 Ohms

The Mod plugs in the 20 Watts into the Watt equation, then plugs the .57 Ohms into the Watt Equation, and comes up with this...

20 = (Volts x Volts) / .57

The Mod knows that whatever is on the Left of the Equation has to Equal 20. So it does some Voodoo Magic (and a touch of Algebra) and figures out that if the Volts was about 3.4, then the stuff on the Right of the Equation would Equal the stuff on the Left of the Equation, 20.

Now you change to 16 Watts. (Warning – Warning! The Stuff on the Left of the Equation just got Smaller. So the Stuff on the Right needs to get Smaller Also!) The Mod does a New Calculation, because the stuff on the Left of the Equation has change, and figures out that if it sets the Volts to about 3.0, that the Equations would be Equal again. And the Left would Equal the Right.

That is all that a Variable Wattage Mod does. Does the Math of the Watt Equation for you so you Don’t have to.

And as you Change the Watts (or if you Physically change Coils Heads to a Different Ohms), the Mod changes the Volts to keep the Watt Equation always Equal.

So that is Why you see the Volts Change when you Change the Watts on you Mod.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
oh wow, zoiDman! That actually totally made sense, thanks for "dummying" it down for me!!! That's helps a bunch :)

Hey No Problem.

Sometimes All it Takes is someone Explaining things in a form that one can Understand.

Glad I could Help.

Reactions: inkjen2003

Kodak

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2015
Missouri...or the state of Misery.
aw thanks dcfluegel....I"ve smoked for 30 years, tomorrow is one month without a cigarette, I'm excited, nice to meet everyone here too! :)

Welcome! I have one of the purple Nano's that should be delivered today...it was my anniversary present from my hubby :) Most hubby's get their wives jewelry...I get one that's awesome and gets me new vaping hardware! Congrats to you on being a month free! You'll find out the people here are great about answering any questions (even the really really dumb ones--I know, because I've asked some stupid ones lol!)

You'll have a lot of fun here too....so hang on and enjoy the crazy ride :)

inkjen2003

Sep 28, 2015
Welcome! I have one of the purple Nano's that should be delivered today...it was my anniversary present from my hubby :) Most hubby's get their wives jewelry...I get one that's awesome and gets me new vaping hardware! Congrats to you on being a month free! You'll find out the people here are great about answering any questions (even the really really dumb ones--I know, because I've asked some stupid ones lol!)

You'll have a lot of fun here too....so hang on and enjoy the crazy ride :)
Thanks Kodak! Everyone seems really nice for sure! I have the purple one too, and I love it, even though I don't have anything to compare it to lol!

Kodak

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2015
Missouri...or the state of Misery.
Thanks Kodak! Everyone seems really nice for sure! I have the purple one too, and I love it, even though I don't have anything to compare it to lol!

I'm excited to get mine...it's the first TRUE purple one I've seen. I'm a purple fanatic and have loads of tanks/tips that are purple. My collection started out small back when I started vaping last November....and has grown way too much lol! At least my hubby is great about letting me add to the collection :)

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Apologies in advance....I am VERY new to mods so I'm having trouble understanding a good bit of info that is out there. I just purchased a Kanger Subox Nano (I was actually one of the unlucky ones that had an Ego blow up on me, scary stuff!). So long story short...I've tried to research everything and get the "safest" one possible, with all the cutoffs etc, as well as IMR batteries and Nitecore charger. So....i keep reading about voltage...and am super confused. If I am understanding correctly....there is voltage as in how many volts are left on the battery....and volts as far as firing resistance? The display on the Kanger has a battery display like you would find on a cell phone...mine is at a little more than half (I took it out and checked it on the charger and its saying battery is at 85%). The display showing volts says 0.0v, but changes when firing. Yesterday, I had wattage at 20w and it showed 3.4V....this morning my throat was a bit sore, so I lowered watts to 16w, and the voltage went to 3.0V. I keep reading stuff about bad voltage drops and wasnt sure if THIS is what they are talking about? Or just related to battery volts....or is it all the same? Like I said, I am SUPER confused, and scared of having another battery blow up in my hands because, yeah, that just wasnt cool at all :(

Relax. There are no stupid questions or I would have been banned long ago.

The 3.4 then 3.0 volts is the amount of volts required to provide the wattage you required. When you lower the watts it is natural to need fewer volts to provide that number of watts.

A voltage drop is where part of the voltage is being lost. For example if the battery is putting out 4.2 volts but only 3.7 volts is getting to the coils. That would be a voltage drop of 1/2 of a volf that is simply being lost somewhere between the firing button and the coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread