Rebuild a Protank 2 - What drill bit size to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brekehan

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Austin, TX
I've got some 2mm ekowool
32 guage kanthal to use.

I was doing the "shove a syringe into the wick and wrap" method. I am not getting many usables out of it.

I want to try and make the coil more compact, so as to run lower risk of the chimney hitting the coil and the coil hitting the sizes of the cup. If I wrap around a drill bit first, and then slide some cotton through. What drill bit size should I use?

Pensilac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Utica, NY
When I was rebuilding protanks I personally preferred using a 5/64th drill bit though the bit wont fit in the channels like a 1/16th will as PhatRon mentioned. I usually wrapped on a 5/64th and then put the coil on a 1/16th to get it mounted. I liked the 5/64th more as I could get away with using a little more cotton to try to avoid leaking. Another advantage to the 5/64th is I could get a bit more wire in that tiny head without using as many wraps to avoid shorting out. I suggest trying both and seeing what you prefer.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
When I was rebuilding protanks I personally preferred using a 5/64th drill bit though the bit wont fit in the channels like a 1/16th will as PhatRon mentioned. I usually wrapped on a 5/64th and then put the coil on a 1/16th to get it mounted. I liked the 5/64th more as I could get away with using a little more cotton to try to avoid leaking. Another advantage to the 5/64th is I could get a bit more wire in that tiny head without using as many wraps to avoid shorting out. I suggest trying both and seeing what you prefer.

I use a 1/16, but like this idea also. Might have to try it.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I always use a 1/16th drill bit. The bit sits perfectly in the wicking channels while you are assembling the head. I wick mine with a full strand of cotton yarn, which is a snug fit, but seems to wick well.

How do you thread the yarn into the coil? I assume you are using 28ga wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread