rebuildable line problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosring01

Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
greensboro nc
Hello everyone I just got a line from a member and he sent wire and the mesh. I asked what wire he sent and he stated that he wasn't sure but thought it was 0.20 kanthal. Now given the little I know about rebuildables with 7 coils I should be at 1.9 to 2.5 ohms but I'm getting 0.8 ohms. Now I've tried 4,5,6 and 7 coils all with the same 0.8 ohms or lower. I'm using a provari mini and I'm getting e1 and e2 all day long. But I've looked and tried different things and still no help. Here's a pic of how its setup now
2012-06-05_141625.jpg

L7D4N

Ice Cream!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
Dallas, Texas
From what little I'm able to see from the pic, it looks like its shorting out somewhere between the second and third wrap. If you're using 32ga kanthal, you should be reading above 5ohms with that long of a coil.

Try making a new coil, but first burn some juice on the kanthal to add some oxidation to it as well. Just a theory until we can see a better pic.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
No you shouldnt be getting that hot spot your shorting somewhere or your mesh isnt cooked enough. Are your wires touching where they wrap around either of your post ? I do mine up by wrapping my wire once around each post and a small Dab of Solder to hold them in place and they've been working super like this. I also rarely ever change a wick the more they get broken in the better they seem to work. To clean them once in a while I just run it under very hot water and that's it. If I do have to change my mesh wick I just do a whole new wire and mesh wick. These lines are a bit finicky but once you get it right you will know because your vape will taste much better and perfect.

Last edited:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
2012-06-06_155756.jpg

it may look like the coils cross and are touching but they aren't its just the way the pic is

Try taking the wire that goes to your high post and pulling it to the top of the post, then wrapping down, instead of going low and wrapping high, then you don't get that downward look and it's not as close to that last turn :)

And also opposite with your low post, start the wrap high, work low, then go around your mesh

chaosring01

Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
greensboro nc
Right now I'm using the 5 coil setup its working for.now but there is thy hot spot. Ill try the way you said when I get home. Also at first on the small post side they were touching and it wouldn't work. I spaced them out a little on the little post and it started work but still has the hot spot. Also the wires are touching each other on the bigger post. Could the wrap on the post touching be my problem?

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Right now I'm using the 5 coil setup its working for.now but there is thy hot spot. Ill try the way you said when I get home. Also at first on the small post side they were touching and it wouldn't work. I spaced them out a little on the little post and it started work but still has the hot spot. Also the wires are touching each other on the bigger post. Could the wrap on the post touching be my problem?

It can surely work with them touching, Like Kwalka says his is, but there just temperamental and I have found that when there NOT touching, you have better connections for some reason and less shorting issues, it's also why I have been only doing one wrap and then a small dot of solder to hold them and make my connections. I dont get those hot spots and get a better connection this way, never did I say it couldnt work by wrapping and them touching, I just stated what I was doing and I was getting a better set up my way :)

If your getting that hot spot then its not working properly and your vape doesnt taste like it should in my opinion.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
It can surely work with them touching, Like Kwalka says his is, but there just temperamental and I have found that when there NOT touching, you have better connections for some reason and less shorting issues, it's also why I have been only doing one wrap and then a small dot of solder to hold them and make my connections. I dont get those hot spots and get a better connection this way, never did I say it couldnt work by wrapping and them touching, I just stated what I was doing and I was getting a better set up my way :)

If your getting that hot spot then its not working properly and your vape doesnt taste like it should in my opinion.

I am very new to modding and soldering. Is the silver so soft that it will melt, if not extremely carefull w iron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread