Rebuilding issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheila Michele 1971

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So I did the rebuild and now whenever I put a battery in, my Reo autofires and doesnt stop until I take the battery out.
(this was a flat top battery)

I even tried to put in the old spring to see if it was a height issue since the new spring is way beefier and it still autofires :(

What did I do wrong?

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
Sounds like either your button didn't get fully inserted or your firing pin got bent.

ETA: Take out the delrin block and see whats going on. The firing pin should be straight and lightly touching the bottom of the button.

Yep, that'd be my guess. One thing I noted with the new kit is that there is a lot more throw to the firing pin. On my older Reos, and all mine have the little button caps on the firing button, I would bottom out the button when firing. Now, I only have to press the button half way and it fires (on my new Reo with the SO parts and button on the firing pin.) If I press more than half way the bottom spring starts to compress. Good news for flat top batteries. So there should be lots of room between the contact and the battery when not firing.

I haven't taken my new one with the SO kit installed and compared it to the older ones. So this is just anecdotal....

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
When you screw the delrin cover back on, the long screw fits under the firing pin and works as the fulcrum for the pin. If you didn't get the pin snugged all the way up tight, then you could have accidentally gotten the long screw above the pin instead of under the pin when you put the cover back on. Does your firing pin have any spring to it when you push it down?

Sheila Michele 1971

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Okay....just color me an idiot today. I wanted to 'test fire' this prior to putting it back together properly.

Note to EVERYONE: Make sure your delrin (the little piece with the long screw) is on otherwise your gonna have a bad time.
Thanks for everyones input. You guys made me want to facepalm my idiocy.

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
Okay....just color me an idiot today. I wanted to 'test fire' this prior to putting it back together properly.

Note to EVERYONE: Make sure your delrin (the little piece with the long screw) is on otherwise your gonna have a bad time.
Thanks for everyones input. You guys made me want to facepalm my idiocy.

Yeah, as Doogie says, don't worry about it :) Not to mention that we can teach others with our own mistakes if they are ready.....

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
Hey I won't tell any one about this if you don't tell anyone that my door tries to jump off every time I slide it on. Had 2 magnets come off and I glued them in with the polarities reversed! :facepalm::facepalm:
Now that's a two face palmer!

I laughed when I read this. Your story was one of my favorites. I've done the same type of things many times. The worst though is when you glue your mistakes in place :) Make's it a pain to undo.

Believe me, I've been there done that so I can laugh with you over it!

Vapeaholic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2014
NE Texas
I laughed when I read this. Your story was one of my favorites. I've done the same type of things many times. The worst though is when you glue your mistakes in place :) Make's it a pain to undo.

Believe me, I've been there done that so I can laugh with you over it!

Rob to the rescue! He's gonna send me a door with no magnets and ship the magnets separate. Hopefully I can match them up correctly this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread