Rebuilt a Kanger coil, Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I just rebuilt my first kanger coil. My local vape shop only had 28 gauge wire. I did 6-7 wraps, and I used cotton for my wick. When I checked the ohms it came back 0.9 ... was it because it was a 28 gauge wire or too many or too few wraps?? I guess I just don't understand the difference between 28, 30, 32 and 34 gauge wire.

So any advice/knowledge on the wire gauge as far as what I should be buying would be greatly appreciated. I wrapped it using a 4-40 screw if that matters.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Your resistance seems to be correct for 28ga. I use 6-7 wraps of 30ga for a 2.0Ω coil, comes out a couple tenth over or under sometimes. The 28ga is a little big for what you are trying to accomplish, the 30ga or 32 ga would perform better for the ohm level you desire.

p.s. the bigger the gauge number the more resistance per inch

PhatRon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Cumming, GA, USA
It is both the amount of wraps you used and the wire gauge that you used as well. As a general rule of thumb you will need more wraps of a lower gauge to reach a higher amount of total Ohms. Higher gauge wire will require less wraps to receive a higher amount of total Ohms. Are you using it on a regulated device? If so, a lot of them won't fire below 1.2 ohms +/-

Uy3lz1M.jpg

View attachment Kanthal Coil Estimator.xlsx

View attachment Coils.xlsx

Those three documents may prove beneficial to your rebuilding career.

Shoot for a higher Ohm and you will be fine, but also make sure the coil is not touching the chimney that you attach and make sure that you clip the leads close enough to the rubber insulator and contact pin that they are not touching the coil heads base that you screw it into. Or you can hold the head in your hand with one part where the coil is visible and the bottom contact pin, apply some tension to the wire and twist it in circles/up and down until the wire breaks off (it should break off darn near close to right at the insulator/pin).

716dwcd.jpg

Hope that helps you out!

Thanks guys for the quick replies. I don't think it was touching so for now I'm going to blame my wire. I'm ordering some 32 gauge wire from Lighting Vapes to see if that helps. I didn't try to fire it but I did screw it onto my MVP v2 to check it and that's what it came up with. Also thanks for the reading material, will definitely check those out and for sure invest in some better wire cutters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread