Status
Not open for further replies.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I'm curious about this part. Is there a reason? I'm still learning the "ins and outs" of mixing....:)

When trying a new recipe, you might want to leave out sweetener until you test it.

I’ve been diy for over 5 years so I can tell what I’m going to want sweeteners in - pretty much everything.

That’s why I don’t contribute so often in the diy threads, I’m in the minority for sweet juice preference.

Anyway, Cap SS is the closest I’ve tried to actual sugar. I don’t have issues with it going chemical or muting flavors or having any other bad behavior. It adds a realism to to flavors based on foods that are supposed to be sweet, like bakery and candy flavors. Fruit flavors may have enough sweetness already though, and you may not need any more.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
When trying a new recipe, you might want to leave out sweetener until you test it.

I’ve been diy for over 5 years so I can tell what I’m going to want sweeteners in - pretty much everything.

That’s why I don’t contribute so often in the diy threads, I’m in the minority for sweet juice preference.

Anyway, Cap SS is the closest I’ve tried to actual sugar. I don’t have issues with it going chemical or muting flavors or having any other bad behavior. It adds a realism to to flavors based on foods that are supposed to be sweet, like bakery and candy flavors. Fruit flavors may have enough sweetness already though, and you may not need any more.

I am finding that I need sweetener added too. When I read Rob's post I just wasn't sure if I was lacking some info on proper ways to add sweetener. Like after a mix steeps--it had me wondering if adding it after helped the steeping process.

I think I might be overthinking it a bit...lol

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I am finding that I need sweetener added too. When I read Rob's post I just wasn't sure if I was lacking some info on proper ways to add sweetener. Like after a mix steeps--it had me wondering if adding it after helped the steeping process.

I think I might be overthinking it a bit...lol

Personally I don’t find it matters, when using cap SS. It neither fades nor blooms, and doesn’t mute other flavors. That’s not the case with things people might call sweetener, like EM and marshmallow - neither of which add any sweetness I can taste. They do have a purpose, and do change the taste and texture, but they’re not sweet. I seldom use either.

The only real reason not to add SS until after a steep is to see if it’s sweet enough without it.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

I started diy by using tfa sweetener. The EM in it along with sucralose certainly muted some of my mixes - but I have a sweet tooth.

I agree completely about capella super sweet - @ 0.5% it took away that whole muting issue, I just now have mixes with the sweetness I like :thumb:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I started diy by using tfa sweetener. The EM in it along with sucralose certainly muted some of my mixes - but I have a sweet tooth.

I agree completely about capella super sweet - @ 0.5% it took away that whole muting issue, I just now have mixes with the sweetness I like :thumb:

Exactly. I tried TFA too, and a few other brands before the Stevia ones started coming out. I was really hoping Stevia would work - I always like beverages sweetened with it. But it just didn’t, for me. Not sweet enough. Not that I want it crazy sweet, but I don’t like needing a lot to get it where I like it.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I've tried going the sweetener route and always end up going back to utilizing other flavors to sweeten. Am curious about sugar daddy but still haven't ordered it, more because I don’t use WL. I do keep VT sugar cane for Meg's juices but rarely use it in mine.

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    Did the blueberry jam add much to the flavor? I’ve got it but was thinking about using jam it instead.

Plenty of blueberry flavor. Sugar cookie, too.
    I just don't know if the two flavors blend. I can taste both the blueberry and the sugar cookie, but it seems like two great flavors that jus don't go together.
    Now, the Chocolate cookie is spot-on ! Not overly sweet at all. Rich chocolate flavor up front, with a cookie taste mixed it. Almost like opening a bag of Keebler's and biting into one !

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Plenty of blueberry flavor. Sugar cookie, too.
    I just don't know if the two flavors blend. I can taste both the blueberry and the sugar cookie, but it seems like two great flavors that jus don't go together.
    Now, the Chocolate cookie is spot-on ! Not overly sweet at all. Rich chocolate flavor up front, with a cookie taste mixed it. Almost like opening a bag of Keebler's and biting into one !
    I would try adding cake or cheesecake to the blueberry cookie.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    What would be a good cake to use? I have a few new ones on the way and a few on hand.

I used to eat these archway lemon cookies when I was a kid. They were lemon cookies with lemon icing on top. I’d love to come up with something similar.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    What would be a good cake to use? I have a few new ones on the way and a few on hand.

I used to eat these archway lemon cookies when I was a kid. They were lemon cookies with lemon icing on top. I’d love to come up with something similar.
    Since it already has the cookie I'd probably try jf yellow cake. If I had a cupcake I might take that route. During a mixing challenge we used cap sugar cookie 2 with WF angel cake 4 and it was a delightful light cake base to build on. Personally though I will always go for the cheesecake first. Have a hibiscus cream twinkie v2 steeping, liking the fa metaphor quite a bit. I seldom mix cakes. You know inw lemon cake should work for the blueberry cookie as well. Hmmm, food for thought there.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I have JF, FW, and pur yellow cake as well as two cupcakes and a couple lemon cake flavors. Just need to decide which to try.
    I'd likely go for the lemon when I remembered that I had it. Add ooo powered sugar to bend the blueberry into a glaze.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread